It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Nice Shot Reloading Data
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

After reading many positives, I am about to dive into using nice shot for my waterfowl hunting. I am looking to see where I can find some favored recipes or recommended recipes for loads. I have been shooting a 3.5" for the past couple of seasons, but after hearing all the reports of folks using 2 3/4" and 7/8oz loads with NS, I don't need to take the punishment anymore. This by all accounts sounds like the true replacement to lead.

Any information you could provide would be appreciated or a point in the right direction.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Nice Shot Reloading Data
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I should have also said I like to shoot 1 3/8oz on my 3" rounds. But, after reading some threads and reviews it sounds like I can possibly shoot lighter loads and still be just as effective. I like #6 for our early Texas teal season and the rest of the year will typically shoot #3.

I do need an affective round for geese as well. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 pm 
Limited Edition

I do not think they make a size 3, but, I think you will find that you do not need to go to 3's for mature ducks in late season. It is hard to get the "steel" sizes out of our heads sometimes. But 5's and 6's will do well. I killed a mallard the last Wed of season, Jan 23rd, dropped it dead as a doornail at 35 yards using 1 oz of 6s' out of a 16 ga, modified choke.

I like a denser pattern with fewer holes. If I was making a load for geese I would use 4s or 2s. All depends on your distance of shots.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

rdja wrote:
I do not think they make a size 3, but, I think you will find that you do not need to go to 3's for mature ducks in late season. It is hard to get the "steel" sizes out of our heads sometimes. But 5's and 6's will do well. I killed a mallard the last Wed of season, Jan 23rd, dropped it dead as a doornail at 35 yards using 1 oz of 6s' out of a 16 ga, modified choke.

I like a denser pattern with fewer holes. If I was making a load for geese I would use 4s or 2s. All depends on your distance of shots.

Yes, after reading a bit more I did find that out, but thanks for the info. I also found some load data on it. However, I am having a heckuva time finding anyone that has nice shot in stock. Precision is all but out, can't find a contact number for nice shot themselves. I was also told, NS doens't have a supplier at the moment and is looking elsewhere/overseas for a maker for them.

Any ideas who would have some 4 and 6 shot available?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:23 am 
Field Grade

Location: VA -- eastern slope of the Blue Ridge, South of the James, North of the Staunton
Appears to be available directly from the source:
http://www.ecotungsten.com/online-store.html

That link is available from this website:
http://www.niceshotinc.com/

Gen. George S. Patton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:09 am 
Tournament Grade

jpm98vmi wrote:
Appears to be available directly from the source:
http://www.ecotungsten.com/online-store.html

That link is available from this website:
http://www.niceshotinc.com/

Yes, thank you! I managed to locate those sources after posting yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:43 pm 
Field Grade

Location: VA -- eastern slope of the Blue Ridge, South of the James, North of the Staunton
Good deal. :D

Off topic detour there....

So, is the blue tick a coon hound, a blue tick beagle for rabbits, or another option I'm not thinking of. Just curious / nosy.

Gen. George S. Patton