It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Newbie needs help!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey guys I've been thinking about reloading for years now and I just recently picked up a 59 model sweet 16 and I plan on using it for ducks this year. The gun has a 28" mod matte barrel and I've been debating between using Kent TM or Nice shot. I'm really interested in the #6 nice shot and would love to get into reloading but I know absolutely nothing about it. If anyone has the time to give me some advice on what all I would need it would be greatly appreciated. Again I know nothing so I'd need basically a list of everything needed to load nice shot so I can get an idea of my start up costs. As far as the reloader goes I only plan to reload for the 16. Thanks in advance guys

Post subject: Re: Newbie needs help!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Get a progressive reloader, one that completes a loaded shell with each pull of the handle. My favorite has always been the MEC Grabber, model 8567. MECs tech support is considered to be one of the best in the industry.
I'm not sure about 16 ga., but the most popular hulls for reloading are Winchester AA, Remington Premier, and Federal Gold Metal. Also, all the gun powder manufacturers publish proven recipes for popular loads utilizing their specific powders.
There is a website that calculates cost per round but I can't seem to locate it right now. Perhaps another member knows it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

DWT wrote:
Get a progressive reloader, one that completes a loaded shell with each pull of the handle. My favorite has always been the MEC Grabber, model 8567. MECs tech support is considered to be one of the best in the industry.
I'm not sure about 16 ga., but the most popular hulls for reloading are Winchester AA, Remington Premier, and Federal Gold Metal. Also, all the gun powder manufacturers publish proven recipes for popular loads utilizing their specific powders.
There is a website that calculates cost per round but I can't seem to locate it right now. Perhaps another member knows it.

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:33 am 
Field Grade

Quote:
Get a progressive reloader, one that completes a loaded shell with each pull of the handle

I disagree with the above recommendation based on what the OP plans to do with it. I recommend a single stage press like the MEC Sizemaster. I also like the Universal Charge Bar, although others don't. You will like Nice Shot although it is very expensive. #6 should work great for ducks in your 16. I was using #4 Nice Shot on some Canadian Geese last week in some 7/8 oz 20 gauge loads and they worked amazing. They were dropping like sacks of flower and dead when they hit the ground. I shot 6 birds with about 9 shots. None required a 2nd shot. When I ran out of shells for the 20 gauge (it was a brand new gun, so I only loaded up a few shells just so I could try it out), I switched to my 10 gauge shooting 1 5/8 oz of Nice Shot BB's.
I fired 8 shots with it, and not 1 bird fell :shock: :( . I guess you still have to hit them... and the old saying of "It doesn't matter how big the package is if you mail it to the wrong address" still applies. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

pletchj wrote:
Quote:
Get a progressive reloader, one that completes a loaded shell with each pull of the handle

I disagree with the above recommendation based on what the OP plans to do with it. I recommend a single stage press like the MEC Sizemaster. I also like the Universal Charge Bar, although others don't. You will like Nice Shot although it is very expensive. #6 should work great for ducks in your 16. I was using #4 Nice Shot on some Canadian Geese last week in some 7/8 oz 20 gauge loads and they worked amazing. They were dropping like sacks of flower and dead when they hit the ground. I shot 6 birds with about 9 shots. None required a 2nd shot. When I ran out of shells for the 20 gauge (it was a brand new gun, so I only loaded up a few shells just so I could try it out), I switched to my 10 gauge shooting 1 5/8 oz of Nice Shot BB's.
I fired 8 shots with it, and not 1 bird fell :shock: :( . I guess you still have to hit them... and the old saying of "It doesn't matter how big the package is if you mail it to the wrong address" still applies. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. It's probably gonna come down to how much the 16ga nice shot shells are gonna be along with their availability as to whether or not I reload or just by the shells, at least for this season anyway. I'm much more interested in the pellet count of #6 nice shot vs the #5 TM.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

chico wrote:
I'm much more interested in the pellet count of #6 nice shot vs the #5 TM.

#6 Nice Shot: about 240 / oz.
#5 TM: about 173 / oz.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:48 am 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
chico wrote:
I'm much more interested in the pellet count of #6 nice shot vs the #5 TM.

#6 Nice Shot: about 240 / oz.
#5 TM: about 173 / oz.

Thanks Randy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:24 pm 
Limited Edition

I load #6 Nice shot for the 16 ga. Killed a small goose the last day of early season using my 16ga A5 and a Mod choke. Stone dead with one shot at about 30 yards. It was a very small goose, but did not even twitch after it was hit. I would stay with a single stage for loading Nice shot, I do use a Univ charge bar, but #6 does not flow thru the drop tube real well, so I weigh each load. Very hard to do in a progressive. All my hunting loads 12 and 16 are done in a single stage machine. Target loads in a progressive.
Nice shot is not available in finished shells right now, Ballistic Products has the 16 ga TM, I was tempted but already had most of the ingredients for loading the Nice shot. I LOVE TM in my 12 ga.

Really nice thing about Nice shot is the ability to use regular lead wads and loading recipes, Just leave room for up to 1500 psi increase in pressure.
If you have not seen it come on over to 16ga.com and you will see a bunch of good info and link to tons of tested loads.
Favorite 16 ga hull for hunting loads are new Chedditte hulls from BP or Precision reloading.

Good luck.
Nate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

I suggest the Mec single stage or even the Lee Load All. Yes, I said that. The steel shot kit will aid in the drop in the Mec though. The Lee is just simple to use but can be annoying to set up the first time.

Dan