It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Shot size recommendation
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:01 am 
Utility Grade

I am going on a hunt in January for eiders in Alaska. I was thinking about reloading some Nice shot to take on this hunt with a plan on reloading either 1-1/8 ounce or 1-1/4 ounce.

So I was hoping that someone would have a thought on what size shot I should try. I am looking at either #2 or#4. I want to make sure I don't tear up the birds for mounting yet not be undersized for these large birds.

As for the other components, I will be using Remington 2-3/4 hulls. For the 1-1/8 ounce Green Dot with and RXP12 wad. For the 1-1/4 ounce Blue Dot with an SP12 wad.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Shot size recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The problem with eiders besides the fact that I have never shot then is that there is no data/study on what it takes to cleanly kill one. So by combining the data for snow geese and ducks I can confidently recommend 1300fps 1 1/8oz #4 (163 pellets) out to a min. of 40 yards (I am being conservative) and a 1 1/8oz of #2 (106) out to 60 yards. The problem with the #2 in either the 1 1/8 or 1 1/4oz is pattern density. Which I don't think you could maintain at lethal levels out past the range the #4 pellets lose their energy. If you can find data on what was used for eiders during the lead shot days you need to go a shot size larger with nice shot a 1 1/4oz load of #4 Nice equals a 1 1/16oz #5 lead load.

If you like the 28ga look at the new 28ga socity forum. SGW does not like f o r u m e r direct links, so copy and paste the link below and retype it to read f o r u m e r instead of furum without the spaces.
28gasociety.furum.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm not familiar with that bird but I do know 1-1/8 of #2 will drop Canada geese. If in doubt I'd go with the 1-1/4 to 1-3/8 #2 loadings.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:36 am 
Field Grade

I was dropping Canada Geese here in Canada with style this fall shooting 7/8 ounce loads of #4 Nice Shot out of my new 20 gauge over and under.
I don't normally shot them with the 20 gauge (I have numerous 12 gauges and a nice 10 gauge BPS), but it was a brand new gun and I wanted to shoot it. All 5 were dead when they hit the ground.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:09 pm 
Limited Edition

pletchj,
I'd like to know more details (distance, choke constriction, etc). What was the distance, or estimation of the distance of your shots. Were they decoying geese inside 30 yards, or beyond 30 yards?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

sx1 fan,

Most of the birds I have taken average 40 yards, some pass shooting, some decoy. In the shoguns that I can change the chokes, I pattern tested and found the modified choke worked better with the larger shot sizes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:07 am 
Field Grade

Quote:
I'd like to know more details (distance, choke constriction, etc). What was the distance, or estimation of the distance of your shots. Were they decoying geese inside 30 yards, or beyond 30 yards?

We were hunting in a field over decoys, so the range varied.
My furthest shot was a crossing shot at an estimated 40 yards, but most were likely in the 30 to 35 yard range. I believe I had a modified choke in the bottom, and an improved modified choke in the top. I also try to put the pattern in the head/neck area.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Never had a chance to shoot Eiders but I've dropped big Canadas in Indiana with #4's and #5's out to about 35 yards. This was with a 1 1/8 oz load with an IC choke out of an Xtrema II. It is when duck and goose seasons are in together. If I were to solely hunt Canadas, I'd probably go with the #2's to get a little more range.