ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I just acquired a shotgun from a neighborhood auction...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi all! I'm new here and been having trouble finding info on a shotgun I acquired at an auction in my neighborhood.
What I have is a Savage Stevens Model 77F in 12ga. It has an adjustable choke and says it can chamber 3" shells. I can't find a serial number on the receiver but it does have A2 stamped on the underside of the receiver. The blueing is very nice and the inside of the barrel is like a mirror. There are other marks on the barrel and I have taken pictures of them all. Also, the stock has been very nicely carved with a scene of flushed grouse or quail on both sides and the hand grip is also nicely carved. I don't know if the man who owned it before carved it himself or had someone else do it but is very nicely done.
I'm not all that interested in value, although that would be nice to know if I won a good auction, but I really would like to know the history of the shotgun.
I tried to contact Savage and they informed me that they were transitioning their history records to the Cody Firearms Museum in Wyoming and were not researching at this time.
Any info from the community would be appreciated greatly.

Thank you,

SN

Post subject: Re: I just acquired a shotgun from a neighborhood auction...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Savage/Stevens guns were always considered less desirable than brands like Remington, Ithaca and Winchester (OK, there may be exceptions in the Winchester history). They were a solid, decent gun for those who didn't want to part with the coin it took to buy the premium brands.

Here's some old threads that might provide some info:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=stevens+77&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.shotgunworld.com&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&tbs=

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:20 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:44 am 
Crown Grade

The A on the underside of the frame puts the production year as 1949. The 2 has no known significance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:49 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you. What do you know about proof marks on the barrel? Do you know of a site that may have a listing of marks on models?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Snickau wrote:
Thank you. What do you know about proof marks on the barrel? Do you know of a site that may have a listing of marks on models?

Post up some photos. I( don't know of a site that deals with Stevens markings other that year of production.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Having a bit of problem posting photos, says file too big. Do you have a trash email i could send them to?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:21 am 
Crown Grade

Snickau wrote:
Having a bit of problem posting photos, says file too big. Do you have a trash email i could send them to?

I don't. You should start a Flickr, or Imgur, account, and host the photos there, and link to them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok. Maybe this will work...

https://flic.kr/ps/3UJAxY

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:28 am 
Crown Grade

That worked. The carved stock is a bit much for my taste.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:28 pm 
Utility Grade

The gentleman who owned it before must have been about my height. It shoulders so easily. Nice utility like what was already mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:33 pm 
Utility Grade

If anyone out there knows of anyone on the site who knows there Savage/Stevens history, please get me in touch with them. Thanks y'all