ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:12 am 
Utility Grade

I was metal detecting and found a shotgun shell. I've tried looking it up everywhere but couldn't find much. I think it is brass but all thats left is the very end. It says Western New Chief No 12. I was wondering how old it is and if I should just throw it away or keep it in my collection. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Western New Chief was a black powder shell made by the Western Cartridge Company. The first record I can find of it is in the 1915 cataloge and it is still in the 1936 but not the 1937. The brass cup you have would have been attached to a yellow or tan paper case with a roll crimp on the top wad. This top wad would have contained information related to the charge, like the powder and shot load as well as the shot size. They were available in 10, 12, 16, 20 & 28 gauge with a wide variety of shot sizes. The 28 gauge was dropped in the 1920's but the shell continued to have a following with economy-minded shooters. Western marketed the XPERT as it's replacement but with smokeless powder.

I certainly would keep this piece if I were you. The listed price for this shell is $75-$100 each. :shock: I've seen some empty boxes fetch goodly sums too. The cup itself has little value to collectors but is quite a conversation piece.

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 am 
Utility Grade

I think you should have to post a screenshot here so that we can help identifying it.