ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ammo Advice & Possible value?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Guys,
My father-in law recently gave me some old 16ga. shotgun and misc ammo. He really didn't know what to do with it. So Here's what I have:

3 1/2 boxes Win. Ranger 16ga.
1/2 box Western Xpert
2 boxes Kleanbore 280 Remington
1 box Kleanbore 300 Savage
3 boxes Kleanbore 30-06 Springfield
1 box Win. 30-06 Springfield Super Speed
1 box Win. 30-06 Springfield Silvertip
4 boxes .410ga Rem.
1 cigar box....no cigars.

Is there any value to this stuff? I am pretty sure the shotgun shells are fairly old since he is 79yrs old. Not sure on the brass stuff though. Are the shotgun shells still good to be fired? They all appear to be new in the box. but I don't really know how gun powder ages. If there is no value to the stuff how does one dispose of it safely? Thanks in advance!
Chris

Post subject: Re: Ammo Advice & Possible value?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Old shell boxes in good shape certainly have value, sometimes surprisingly so. Having full boxes is a plus. The trick is finding someone to buy them. I know; I have 100-150 boxes of vintage shells. Like you, I need someone knowledgable and fair to help value them. Most old shells are shootable but may be worth more than the cost of new ammunition.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Colorful old shotshell boxes like those mid- to late 1930s RANGERs are popular with collectors. A similar one sold for $38 in the recent Wards Auction --

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/viewi ... ?item=1182

The immediate post WW-II Western XPERT box with the top torn off might just as well be shot up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks! Yeah I have been trying to find a place where I could sell the box complete with the shells but not really turning up much. I hate to just sell the boxes but I did check eBay for kicks and the boxes shown sold between $30-$70. Now those were in 12ga, I couldn't find an auction with 16ga box.

I don't think that means much but interesting just the same. I may just put the one box up and see how it does....

Chris