It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: who started late
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shot guns and shotguns all my like. Bird hunting--in our family this meant quail, but as a kid only got to go a few times.

I was an adult before I went duck hunting, dove shooting ...etc.

I started shooting clays at age 49 and made M class at age 50....and I'm more addicted now than I was 7 yrs ago.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

Post subject: Re: who started late
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 am 
Crown Grade

My father was a game warden and started me hunting at 10. I got to hunt and fish for everything that was available. I started trapshooting in 1955. I only shoot club and league shoots now but still love it. Sera, I can still remember being 56, I wish I could go back. Enjoy yourself as long as you can.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I grew up hunting squirrels, rabbits, an a little later on, quail an pheasants at a game farm that was next to us.

Then in my late teens early 20's I deer hunted a lot for a few years.

Lost interest in hunting an shooting, didn't do any for about 35 years.

My brother retired an moved back closer to me an got me started shooting rifles an pistols again.

At age 55 I started shooting skeet an found my passion. I'll never be a AAA shooter, but dang am I having fun trying to get there.

Been shooting skeet for 8 years now an still get excited about shooting every time I go.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I was a kid, my Dad let us shoot his bolt action .22 rifle. When I was about 20, I bought 1) a 12ga pump shotgun; 2) a Marlin 30-30 lever gun; and 3) a High Standard .22 revolver. Never shot a one of them! Sold the shotgun to one of my brothers - he still has it (40 years later). Sold the Marlin to another brother - he still has it and it's STILL never been shot. The revolver got stolen in a move about 30 years ago. Didn't have another gun until I turned 60 - and I think that gave me some kind of a virus, as I've been buying ever since. About mid-year last year I bought my second shotgun and took up trap. About three months after I started trap, I decided I'd better start reloading if I want to be able to afford to shoot much.

So, yeah, I would say I started late.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

I birdhunted about 6 times prior to turning 60. About the time of my 60th birthday I decided I need a hobby and took up clay shooting. I usually shoot every Sunday morning with three friends, one of whom is 79! I've become a pretty good trapshooter but really enjoy sporting clays. Someday I hope to be able to hit crossing shots well! LOL.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:48 am 
Crown Grade

Yeah - those crossing shots!!! I spend hours practising them alone. I have an electric trap with a remote and I set it to throw the really difficult R-L screamers and bang away.

It works!

It works! On my last 2 bird hunts I took down some impressive-flying grouse and pheasant.

If we didn't have a foot of snow I'd be out there right now practising.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Got my first gun, a Fox Model B 12 ga., when I was 13 and have been "into" shooting ever since. Funny, though, that my shotgunning is my least accomplished gun ability and while I love to hunt pheasant, I do so rarely. Now, it's mostly range shooting rifles and pistols.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 1st gun--at age 13--was a 20g 870. My dad thought that any gun more expensive than a pump was a waste of money. He also thought Full choke was the ONLY choke. Of course--God love him -- he couldn't hit a thing.

He loved to brag to his friends about the guns I bought.....though I know in his heart of hearts he still thought that I was wasting money. To my way of thinking , if I had a million dollars , I would spend it on guns , women* and single malt scotch....at least $997,000 of it .....I'd probably waste the rest.

* Note : At my age I have to put guns 1st.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

*Bird hunting in my teens

*Shooting at people who wore black pajamas in my twenties

*Trap in my thirties

*Sporting Clays in my forties

*and now Skeet in my sixties

........you just have to give them a little more lead........Terry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was the baby of the family. Raised to hunt for food, never sport. Bird hunting, Quail, Dove and Duck. Dad had 28 pointers when he passed in 1980. I stopped hunting birds after dad passed. Work limited my time in the woods. Started hunting deer with friends.

Shot skeet a few times in my thirties, didn't have a lot of unneeded money or time then.
Raised my son and daughter hunting dove and deer.

Started back on the skeet again at 47, then on to sporting clays for fun a few years
later. Still can't get enough of the shotgun games. 53 now and wishing the weather had
allowed me to shoot today.

Know Guns --- Know Peace --- Know Safety
No Guns --- No Peace --- No Safety

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dang, I really started late. I was 62 before I bought my first shotgun - a friend of mine would take off on Wednesday's and go duck hunting and wanted someone to go with him..........now I have 2 safes full..dang him!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I grew up a Kansas farm boy, took Dad's old single shot out and shot my first jack rabbit at age 10.
Hunted and loved everry since, just never got to be a good shot.
Rex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Road Rat wrote:
Dang, I really started late. I was 62 before I bought my first shotgun - a friend of mine would take off on Wednesday's and go duck hunting and wanted someone to go with him..........now I have 2 safes full..dang him!

:lol: :lol:
Never trust a friend :lol: :lol:

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Grand Daddy taught us to shoot rifles and pistols and things outdoors. He was an excellent shot gunner. While I caught on quick with rifles and pistols, he was no shotgun instructor...all he ever said was to just look at them and pull the trigger (and he was right). In the dove field after about 3-4 misses, he would holler, "You're wasting my shells". The gun went in the truck, and I shagged his birds while he shot mine! Grand Daddy is the one that pinned the nickname Mismost on me....'cause I missed the most birds. I grew up thinking I could not shoot a shotgun because he told me that and I believed every thing he said.

When we made the move back to the country, I got back into shooting, mainly 22's both rifle and pistol. Turned into a meat hunter, doe head shooter and hog buster, have gun will travel. Started spending a lot of time out the Gun Club plinking and was happy as a pig in mud. But, shooting was an expensive hobby. Gosh, I'd shoot up 5-10 bucks worth of 22 shells every week-end!

That was about the time those sorry skeet shooters started showing a interest in me and my 22's...I've got a bunch of good shooting 22's. They would come down range and shoot steel with me and just have a blast. Then those sneaky bast!#@!s dragged me over to the skeet field, loaned me gun, shell pouch, shells, and bought my targets. Those demons just made it so much fun. They made me break targets, which made me want to break more targets, and now, there is just no going back.

Soon, I was cutting out of church early on Sundays to be at the club on time. Gun fit being all important lead me purchase several shotguns. My once productive shop building now only produces shotgun shells of every gauge. Loaders on the benches instead of tools....their expense justified because "it will save money". It does and it gets spent on more targets. Looking back, shooting 22's was almost free of cost!

My wife has two phone numbers for me, work and the Gun Club. Heck, if it's on the week end, my daughter just calls the Gun Club because she knows I won't answer my phone! Christmas and birthday presents are always either new flats of Winchester 410's or 10 round skeet cards. The last road trip my wife and went on almost ended in a divorce....she wanted more suitcase room, well, just where am I supposed to put my shotguns...we run might run across a gun club or skeet field!!?? Now, I knew that red head was sneaky when I married her. But, I never thought she would hide my shotguns when it came time to paint the house...she did.

Still, I have few real regrets. My wife always knows where I'm at and that Beretta ain't some other ole gal. I've made lots of shotgun shooting friends, although most are as worthless of character as I am now. The doves are still safe for the most part because I get bored waiting for a shot when I could be hollering PULL! Grand Daddy would be shocked at the huge number of shells wasted on shooting what you can't eat. That's Ok, because now days, I don't miss many.....I think he would have liked that part anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Didn't own a shotgun until age 22, shot lots of rifles, pistols and .22's before that. Started hunting ducks and shooting trap with my Dad after he retired. Dental school and student loans kept me from too much for awhile. Fell in love with a short hair pointer and started to chase upland game when my kids were little. Ducks and Geese after that. Shot my first round of skeet at the Baylor Orthodontic Department Alumni meeting with Dr. Tom Matthews in 1988. He just recently passed away on Dec 27, 2010. What a grand gentleman. Hope some of you Texans had the opportunity to know him. Probably should thank him and not blame him for what happened after that....

Dabbled in skeet 10-15 years ago, but ended up shooting archery with the kids instead-great times and great memories. My parents passed away about 3 years ago, and skeet fills the time that we used to devote to them, and more. My wife started to shoot skeet this year with me, still working on the kids, they are older and have their own interests now. As time went by became a full blown shotgun junkie, have way more than I can ever shoot, and I'm still driven by the love of watching a dog work birds that keeps me hunting there. Not so much interested in big game hunting as when I was younger. Prefer something else I guess now.

Have met the nicest people shooting skeet, I sure there are always nice people at the range whether it be trap or SC as well. I wouldn't know what I would do if I didn't keep shooting skeet. I'm still awful at it. If you can't shoot well, at least shoot alot?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My wife decided three years ago to take up trap, hence so did I. At age 59 now four shotguns later , a Mec sizemaster and safe I am hooked as is my wife.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great story Mismost,enjoyed it.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:30 am 
Diamond Grade

My Maternal Grandfather was my Fly Fishing mentor. Back when I started late 50's into the 60's), there was a strong Hook and Bullet connection and no Year Long Fishing. So...when fall came...and we were forced to put our rods down, I began to long for a chance to go hunting.
Between the ages of 8 to 16 that meant BB's and Bows. Later a friend of my Dad's started me bird hunting and at 17 I had a Mossberg 16 ga. pump.
Ever since then (and I'm 58 now) I've fly fished or bird hunted every chance I've had.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't know exactly at what age I got started hunting. Just a little sh*t and got to go with my dad and uncles. My cousins and I were used as beaters between the hunters while hunting pheasants in Southwestern Minnesota. At 13 my dad let me use his 12 gauge pump to hunt ducks on my uncles farm. We would go for a visit on Sunday's and there was a pond on the back of the farm. I built a raft and would pole out and set my three ragged decoys. My dad would give me three shells. I did get a few ducks though. I remember the one time I bagged a big Canvasback. Boy was I proud.
Then in high school I finally bought my own gun, a 16 gauge Noble pump. Used that gun up to a few years back. My sons grew up using that Noble pump. We finally just wore it out. Been shooting 16's ever since.
That pond is now in the middle of what is called Burnsville, Minnesota. It was cleaned out and now has houses surrounding it and they call it a lake.

I forgot to mention. 72 years old and still chasing dogs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:11 pm 
Crown Grade

My dad was a casual hunter at best. We went rabbit and squirrel hunting a few times a year. My grandfather is the one that really introduced me to guns. I pecked around and hunted with friends at small game while growing up. Got 16 and started to work. Didn't hunt a whole lot for years then started deer hunting some. That grew in to passion that until a few years ago was MY hobby. About the only other hunting I did at that time was the yearly rabbit hunting trip with friends plus the normal September dove hunt. My son started deer hunting seriously with me around 12 years old. The age I thought he should be to handle a high powered rifle. We hunted pretty hard for years as I was in some huge leases with few members. His thing was not so much killing game as just shooting. I had a local friend ask me why didn't we try skeet. For the longest time I would go and watch him. Slowly I began to shoot some. I quickly found out that what had worked hunting was not the ticket shooting clays. I was left eye dominant,right handed with a WEAK right eye. I switched to left hand in 2005 at 48 yeas old. My son was in a horrific car accident in 2005 with my grandfather. My grandfather died a week later and luckily he survived with minor injures. At the time he had become a fairly good skeet shooter and we had dabbled in SC's plus occasional trap. 2006 was his last year hunting. On opening day he killed a impressive buck and asked if he had to hunt any more that season. I had also forgot to mention my grandfather hunted deer and I kept one excellent lease especially for just him. The loss of his grandfather revisited him every time he deer hunted. After my son asked to stop I reevaluated myself also. I hunted one more year and have not hunted big game since. I almost felt relieved. I pressed to hard on myself and my son. About that time girls and college seemed to fill his life. He slowly stopped going with me. I kept on shooting skeet. I finally joined the NSSA in 2007 and have shot ever since. I often have the urge to go back to hunting but clays seems to satisfy my urge. My son occasionally shoots skeet now but not very often. My hope is after he gets settled in life he will come back. My 12 year old daughter has now started to shoot. I have had a ball. She has the potential I think to go all the way. She is smart,competitive,athletic and most of all WANTS to do it. Yeah I have regrets of not starting earlier but it is what it is. 53 now and love the game more than ever. I also never thought I would pay the money for shotguns that I have bought or build a home skeet range. I will never be AAA but what the heck.....I am having a good time trying.

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.