It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1960s JP Sauer Model 60 Deluxe SxS: help with screw?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:08 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a 1960s JPSauer & Sohn Model 60 Deluxe SxS, Full and 1/2 full [modified, right?], single-trigger. For those that don't know, there are no cocking indicators on the side, and no bolt visable under the locking lever.

The stock wiggles. I am trying to figure out if it is a matter of loose bolts, or needs more serious work.

I've read a LOT of threads on disassembling the A&D Boxlock, which is supposed to be the design used here. I've done gunsmithing and detail stripping on a LOT of different firearms, but need clarification before I go any farther.

There is only one bolt/screw head visable- at the rear of the trigger guard.

I can see the head of a bolt entering the 'socket' in the top strap.

However, it looks to me like the slotted head in the trigger guard is a wood screw, and the bolt that goes into the top strap [through the stock] is a bolt that is currently covered by the trigger guard.

What I cannot do is find any way to budge the screw. Whomever installed it did an awesome job, and someone before me began trying to remove it, and began rounding the edges.

I know about hollow-ground european screw tips. Nothing so far is budging it.

I've been told of the 'drill press' trick, to allow constant downward pressure to apply while turning, and prevent rounding. I can't attempt that yet, due to family issues, but plan on in soon.

HOWEVER, I need to know if this is a wood screw or the tip of the through bolt.

I believe it is a wood screw, due to the fact that the apparent angle of the screw would not line up with the apparent angle of the bolt tip in the top strap, by about 1/2 inch. Yet, it could be installed at an rearward sloping angle [which I would think would be bad for absorbing recoil].

IF I can't budge it, and it is a wood screw, I have no problem destroying the head enough to remove the trigger guard, and then removing it once the stock is disassemled. Yet, if it is the head of the bolt, this is problematic.

All of the directions say to remove the trigger guard screw, but they don't indicate if it is a wood screw or a machine screw [threaded into top strap].

Can anyone help me?

thank you in advance.

Oh, if there is a reputable 'smith for SxS in California, I wouldn't mind having this done, but I hate the idea of spending $100 in shipping and $50+ in labor to have them destroy the screw and replace it also.

Even if I open up the wood a bit, I know the dowel tricks to tighten up that spot.