CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J. P Sauer and Sohn Drilling.....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Okay Arch... just take a deep breath and start typing.

About six weeks ago I came accross a J.P. Sauer and Sohn drilling at the gun shop. I already have a BSS 20 guage on layaway so I pretty much put the drilling out of my mind. I should have the BSS soon and my attention is focusing on the drilling again.

It is not in very good condition. The outside of the barrels is rough but can be worked. I will have the shop gunsmith take a look at the inside to check for rust or pitting. To me it looks very dirty in there. This would be my project gun for the range. The serial number appears to be 183704.

My goal is to find a gunsmith that can work on this drilling. The first year would be for metal work then the stock and forearm the next. I am in Maryland and would like to find someone within driving distance (no more than 3 hours away). I am sure this drilling can be brought back to life. I think it is a 16 gauge although the shop has it marked as a 20 gauge. I hope it is choked M/F but can work with IC/M. The intended purpose would be for 5 stand, sporting clays, or wobble doubles. For the gun to look so beat up it feels very sturdy and locks up tight. This is why I feel it can be brought back to life and you can not have too many 16s in the safe.

Well, keep hope alive.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=274677#ixzz1ewgF42aH

Browning BPS Hunter w/26 inch barrel
Beretta 686 SP1 12 g w/32 inch bls
Marlin Model 55 10 gauge w/36 inch barrel

Post subject: Re: J. P Sauer and Sohn Drilling.....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

Maryland is a wasteland for double gunsmiths. Do yourself a favor and pack it up and mail it to Keith Kearcher in Bend, Oregon. Don't try to make it new, just try to make it work and look well cared for. Sauer authority Jeff Stephens dates your gun at 1912 in the DGJ 2004 issues 3 and 4.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:30 pm 
Limited Edition

Well.....a couple of thoughts. Drillings of this age need to be assessed carefully. I'm betting it IS a 16ga but I'm also betting that it could have an outdated rifle caliber....9.3x72R was very popular but then there were some wierd ones back then too...like 8x58R, 9.3x65R, etc and these will pose a real problem as far as ammo, dies, cases, etc. Check it out.

Strong chance this gun has 65mm chambers...another thing to check.

Take the stock off....often these old stocks are dry and brittle and start to break with any real use.

By the time you get this gun fixed, figure out the dies/ammo....you might as well spend a little more for a more modern gun...unless you're getting this one very cheap....and you like to tinker with reloading.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thank you both for your comments. I have made arrangments to acquire this drilling by the end of January. It is functional with a rifle caliper that can be ordered the 9.3X72R. We checked the proof marks with a flashlight and magnifying glass. She does need to be cleaned.

I must say the swing characteristicks on this drilling are great for me. That rifle barrell gives it the extra weight that 26 inch barrells just do not have. She locks up like a vault. 16/1 over both barrells. 16 guage full choke will test my skills in the field but that is part of the fun. I do not know if I can get a scope off the shelf that will fit the drillings but something can be worked out. This looks like a project that I can work with over the next few years.

P.S.

She is not cheap but does not blow the budget all to heck.

Browning BPS Hunter w/26 inch barrel
Beretta 686 SP1 12 g w/32 inch bls
Marlin Model 55 10 gauge w/36 inch barrel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 am 
Hunting Expert
Hunting Expert

You can get buried in that gun if it was given to you for free. Scoping a drilling properly will cost about $1,200 + or -...for the mounts alone!

I've owned and traded around 200 drillings in my lifetime, and I learned a thing or two. The FIRST thing I learned is any correctly done work on a drilling is EXPENSIVE!

I sure can't fault anyone for wanting a drilling. I hunt with them a lot and feel under-gunned without three barrels. :wink:

In the condition you quoted don't pay much for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Studyman, you can buy the dies for 9.3x72R from CH-4D. Website is http://www.ch4d.com/

They list 4 different sets, 9.3x72R, 9.3x72R Sauer, 9.3x72R (.360) and 9.3x72R (.367) All are listed at $82.

Hope this is helpful...

follow this link to join the forum's bonus Membership
http://www.shotgunworld.com/memberships.htm