CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHALLENGE!! Can you ID this Sauer from 3 Pics?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:50 pm 
Field Grade

I bought this gun sight unseen and then was sent these three phone pics. I paid for this one, and I don't feel reel smart about buying things like this that I know nothing about and have not seen. Going to pick it up on Saturday.

ANy info you can give me on it would be great.

12ga JP Sauer and Sohns sxs. Pre-war is all seller knew

Post subject: Re: CHALLENGE!! Can you ID this Sauer from 3 Pics?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:00 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm sure Sauerfan will win this challenge!!! However, looks to me that this gun has had some "restoration" work done...bluing doesn't look Sauer like to me and the stock looks flush with the action. I have seen guns that look like like this that were post war....built with spare pre-war inventory. Did they give you a proof date? should be stamped on the flats.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hi BigJfb,

this is a model VIII or VIIIE (if it has ejectors). Or a "Royal" (what's nothing else but a VIIIE). I doubt pre-war production, because of the pop-out cocking indicators. They were introduced around 1940, but the vast majorities of Sauer coming with these indicators ar post-war.

Is there "Original Sauer" present on the underside? Can't make it out. If so, it's definitely post-war, as only the post-war West German company owning the Sauer brand(s) used it this way.

Regards

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:06 am 
Hunting Expert
Hunting Expert

It is a Sauer VIII with standard engraving and looks like a post war gun.

The Royals had scalloped receivers, not the flush square ones like this gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:48 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks very much for the great help, you guys really know your stuff.

I have the Sauer with me now, it is in really fantastic shape. I think the date is 1953.

I don't think I will shoot it much, it is very very light and does not fit me well at all. This is what I get for impulse buying like I did. It really is a beautiful piece though. Somebody did not use it much and kept it up nicely.

Already have buyers remorse, a real decent Browning Superposed 20ga just came available and I could have bought that as ive wanted one forever. Shame on me