CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eckerforde, west germany
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

JP Sauer & Sohn relocated here post-war.
Does anyone know what models of shotguns they produced and a description of the models and differences between them?
Or where I could find that info.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Eckerforde, west germany
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I know, that Sauer in West Germany produced Sauer model 8 copies. Not good as pre-war originals, not pretty looking as pre-war models, but quite the same. Their difference is cocking indicators: pre-war had disc style, post-war - "pup up".

West Germany Sauer made a side lock shotgun, too. It's called "Artemis" (Greek hunting godess name) and drillings (three barreled shotguns) - Sauer 3000.

If I am not correct, I hope, Mr. Sauerfan will correct me and inform us about post-war Sauer models, which were not mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Sauer Royal boxlock is post-war made, too. In West Germany.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Pretty well determined this scattergun I have, made in Eckernforde, was constructed in '54' or '55'...barrels were proofed in '54'.
The model is likely the VIII or whatever iteration had extractors...The VIII, as I understand it, used the M8 plans from pre-war.
The Royal had a scalloped action back....this one is straight.
The gun is labeled Made in Germany...Made in West Germany appears to have been only from the 70s-ish on.

As far as "not so good."
I reckon that varied...pre-war stuff is always reckoned a tad better and not sure that always is a given.
I do believe that as time passed the quality at Sauer may have slipped(it slipped at Purdey in the 60s) but no indications that this '54' is particularly inferior to one made just prior to the dustup in Europe.
Indeed, wood may be better than close pre-war when sources or inventory or workmanship may not have been as consistent as we would like to believe.
Indeed, as production at Eckernforde began in 1951 os so then the folks in control may have taken pains to turn out a good product for a new company's reputation in a booming marketplace.
Regardless, or irregardless as they say in Lincoln County, this scattergun will likely go bang as well as any....as long as most.
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:50 am 
Crown Grade

IIRC, Stoeger imported the Sauer Models 60, 60 Deluxe and Royal SxS's during the early 1960's. The 60 deluxe had a single non-selective trigger. I believe that Sauerfan has commented that the barrel steel employed in post-war Sauers while good, was not up to the quality of their pre-war models.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi