CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel 200 or 200E
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:16 am 
Field Grade

I just purchased the below Merkel - I believe it's a 200 - w/o ejectors. Looking at it and shooting it, the extractors did just that - they did not eject the shells. Is there a 200, that's not a 200E. It was made in Feb 1962 w/East German proof marks. I heard that pre-Berlin Wall guns were better made - any info on that? I'm familiar with the proof marks, but would appreciate any info on the circle stamp with a line/1 going through it in photo three and any info on the marks in photo four.
I appreciate any info on this gun.

Thanks
Can anyone tell me what the circle with the line/1 going thtough it means?

Can anyone tell me what the marks in the above photo mean?

Post subject: Re: Merkel 200 or 200E
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:35 pm 
Field Grade

Pat, ick,

Looks like it has ejectors to me (that's what my two Merkel boxlocks with ejectors look like). Sorry to hear that they're not working. One thing you could do is remove them by getting a very small (i.e., jeweler's type) screwdriver, depressing the ejectors, and then removing the stop screws at the end of the ejectors (beneath the kersten rib extensions). Be careful, there are springs beneath those ejectors, and they'll fly out, and you'll marr them up. Then you can clean beneath the ejectors and the springs, and they'll probably work good as new.

The Q1 is an East German proof mark. It means excellent quality. You can find out more about the proof marks on your gun by looking here:

http://www.shotguns.se/html/east_germany.html

Your gun was proofed in February, 1961 (see the 261 above the Q1).

The generally accepted notion is that guns made pre-WWII had the best quality, but that the guns made shortly after the war were also extremely good, in not even the equal to, those made pre-war. Further, that by the 1970s the craftsman who worked pre and immediately post war were retiring, without many in the way to replace them. I've had a 1950 and have a 1952 boxlock, and the fit and finish were second to none. I've seen a 1930s boxlock, and really don't feel that it is any better. I've heard that the quality of the 1980s guns was spotty, and you had to really look at each gun individually. I have a 1969 Simson (made in the Merkel factory) side by side that is very nice, and the fit and finish is nice, but the stock and forend are from two different pieces of wood. I think generally the Simson counterparts were not finished to quite the same degree that the Merkels were, but I've seen some nice Simsons that you couldn't tell from Merkels. That's another story.

Your gun is a high quality but underappreciated piece. You will find, and probably already have, that it has a special quality about the way that it points. Enjoy it!

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:49 am 
Tournament Grade

If it has ejectors - it's 200E, if it has extractor - 200. Personally, I think, that you have Merkel 201 series shotgun. If I am 100% correct - Merkel 200s were case colour hardened. 201s - had arabesque engravings, like yours.
Next, yes, pre-war German guns had better and much better quality. Why ? - Find pre-war shotgun and you will be able to compare it with a post-war shotgun. You'll see differences. There are exeptions, too. Most post-war sidelocks or over and unders have good, next to pre-war quality.
Finally, number "1" in circle, in biggest context means "excellent quality", but it doesn't mean, that some shotguns had "poor quality", some - "excellent quality". This marking was usually used for guns for export.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:47 pm 
Field Grade

It is true that if it has ejectors, it is an "e" model, while if it has extractors, there is no e.

However, Patrick's gun appears to have ejectors. Look exactly the same as both of mine.

It is also true that the 200e had arabesque engraving and case colors. However, Patrick's gun has arabesque engraving, with the case coloring worn off, as was the situation with my 200e. 201e guns have game scene engraving, but no case coloring. Patrick's does not have game scene engraving.

For more information on the Merkel models, please see the following:

http://www.hallowellco.com/traditional_ ... grades.htm

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:49 am 
Field Grade

Can anyone tell me what the "G" in the below photo means?