CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High dove numbers in Ca. Southeast Deserts
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:10 pm 
Limited Edition

I did a bit of scouting around El Centro Niland and yuma and dove numbers are really high. There should be atleast one more hatch before opener.
p.s. keep your fingers crossed for no thunderstorms for the next two months.

Post subject: re: High dove numbers in Ca. Southeast Deserts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:09 am 
Tournament Grade

I am up in norcal and the numbers have been good so far hopefully we have another year like last and it dont get cold the week before opener liek it usually does

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:31 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the report. I can hardly wait, I just hope it will be cooler than last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:54 pm 
Field Grade

I'm seeing a lot of doves around the Inland Empire. YEsterday at Raahauges we saw doves flying everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:56 am 
Tournament Grade

I did some scouting in my local spots SJWR and Perris area are looking especially good this year more birds than I have seen in a few years Lake Isabella area is full of Quail all around Onyx and Weldon I will be going up there again to visit freinds and hunt with the local kid up there who always asks me to bring him some shells he's a nice kid he calls and gives me a scouting report 3 times a week the only area I did not scout so far this year was the Idywilde area farther east

Post subject: Re: re: High dove numbers in Ca. Southeast Deserts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:00 am 
Tournament Grade

spectr17 wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of doves around the Inland Empire. YEsterday at Raahauges we saw doves flying everywhere.

Spectr17 I live 10 minutes from Raahauges for 15 years and never set foot in the place how is it, I heard Mike sometimes has a little attitude and have heard people say they don't feel comfortable there Is there any truth to this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:50 am 
Limited Edition

I may make a few mid week trips out to parris this year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not really related to S.E. CA deserts per se, but when I come home at night there a bunch of doves sitting around in my SCV suburb's streets. More than I've seen in 20+ years. Also a lot of quail. Drought was supposed to reduce the #'s, but unless they're all around due to lack of water in the hills, there's a lot more than I've seen in so-called "good" years.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

nor cal dove was horrible I did not even fire a shot I never have great places to go but can always get a limit but I could have shot maybe 2 but I saw how the day was going and did not bother

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:20 pm 
Field Grade

Video of our hunt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uFeYZQonWg

I hunted at Cibola Sportsman's Club in Cibola AZ with the Corbett family, it was their 10th annual dove hunt and steak dinner the night before. About 60 shooters with many limits early. Lots of whitewings. I manned the camera until about 9am and then knocked a few down. The shooting was small groups of doves that were fairly steady all morning. I saw one big flight of about 25 birds that our group knocked 2 out of. I saw 2 Euros at the cleaning station.

Didn't hear much shooting at all from the Cibola NWR nearby. In fact, the valley seemed kind of quiet compared to past years on the dove hunting opener. I can say the weather and nice breeze was a change from the usual furnace like 115F that Cibola is famous for. It was 84F when we started shooting and with the cloud cover it was perfect shooting. When I left at noon it had just hit 100F. Lots of white 50 gallon barrels with "NO TRESPASSING" marking fields. One group said they scouted all day Sunday only to find 2 fields they could shoot.