CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quail or Turkey hunting close to SF Bay Area
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:02 pm 
Field Grade

I am looking for places close to the SF Bay Area where my teenage son and I can hunt quail and maybe some turkey this season. I am willing to pay reasonable access fees to hunt good spots. We have been hunting farm raised pheasant and I have done some guided duck/goose/turkey but we are relative beginners who want to expand our skills.

We live in the East Bay are hoping to find some public or private lands that are not too far from home and provide reasonable access and chance of success. I know I am asking for quite a bit. Any suggestions?

I have had Cache Creek, Spenceville, Camp Roberts, Fort Hunter Ligget and Los Padres National Forest suggested and would be willing to give one or more of those locations a try too but they (i) all 3-5 hours from home and (ii) are large areas where I don't know where the best place to access/hunt them. Suggestions here would be appreciated too.

Finally, we have a place up at Truckee so I looked at Tahoe National Forest for Mountain Quail or Grouse. The rangers confirmed that hunting is allowed but didn't know any more. The guy at the hardware store (a hunter) suggested some areas at the far end of the forest 50 miles from our cabin and away from where he hunts. Any suggestions between Truckee and Sierraville would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

k

Post subject: Re: Quail or Turkey hunting close to SF Bay Area
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:41 am 
Field Grade

There is some DFG land on the North East side of Lake Berryessa that has some turkey & quail on it. Watch out for the poison oak, it is all over the place there. And also watch out for the ticks.

Post subject: Re: Quail or Turkey hunting close to SF Bay Area
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:11 am 
Diamond Grade

I mostly hunt Liggett for quail. I've hunted it quite a few times and still getting to know it. 60K acres IIRC. I had a couple prime spots, but they got burnt to a crisp in forest fires. Last time, I did OK on area 2.

The birds are just about everywhere. The difficulty is finding places where there's birds you might actually get a shot at. There's a lot of jungle in the coastal range.

You might try Cache Creek. Spenceville is popular for turkey. Gotta scout though.