ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: British Labs?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:20 am 
Diamond Grade

Evan,
Wondering if had much experience training "British" labs, and if you noticed any difference?
I just got a new Pup (British line), that is a lot different temperament than what I'm use to with American labs. She is much softer and has that "ON/OFF" switch you often hear about; but I never believed really existed. I can see training her will be much different. I swear she has come hardwired to do half the things you'd want, right out of the box!
Thanks in advance,
Richard

Post subject: Re: British Labs?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:39 am 
Tournament Grade

What you call a British lab is the real Labrador retriever.
So called american labs are bred to run the trials in this country and some of them does not even look like labs with their pointy noses and thin tails. Heck there are even some called pointing labs!
I'm sure somewhere along the line they mixed pointing dog blood in them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Where would you put the English Lab then Doubleplay? The show dog.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Just brought home an English lab from Wildrose kennels this week!
Father is a field trial champion and female, both parents were field trial champions. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Just brought home an English lab from Wildrose kennels this week!
Father is a field trial champion and female, both parents were field trial champions. :D

Congrats!

We have a 12 year old female Yellow Lab from Wildrose. Has been absolutely a great hunter and companion.

If they didn’t mention it to you at the “Puppy picking”, get a copy of the book “British Training for American Retrievers” by Vic Barlow. It’s got a lot of great advice about training British Labs and we never once had to use shock collars.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:10 pm 
Crown Grade

This is my 3rd lab from there! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sorry, haven't been on here in a while. I wasn't aware there was such a thing as an English Wildrose dog. From my experience of the pedigree, they have been all Brittish Labs. Not at all the big, chunky, lazy dogs, exemplified by the English breed. I have a 2/3 Duckhill, 1/3 Wildrose dog that is amazing indeed at both Fowl and Upland hunting. They are great dogs both as pets and hunting companions. She is just as at home playing with the grandbaby and laying around the house as she is running hunt tests or actually hunting any type of bird.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

They train more like Goldens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:24 am 
Presentation Grade

There may have been a greater degree of separation years ago, but American Field trial and British field trial dogs look very similar now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:51 am 
Limited Edition

1958jr wrote:
There may have been a greater degree of separation years ago, but American Field trial and British field trial dogs look very similar now.

Not so sure of your assertion. Here are two of my Labs, the black is out of UK field performance bloodlines and the breeding program at Double TT British Kennels. The yellow Lab pictured is out of a breeding I did using this black as his sire and a dam owned by my veterinarian, she being out of both American show and field lines.

Both of the Labs pictured here are bird hunting machines, lots of bird drive, great marking and tracking ability, intelligent, and calm in the home. Both run in AKC and HRC licensed hunt tests.

Attachment:
VnKF345FSaazqySFL0H2LA_thumb_a042_Fotor.jpg

HRCH UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH

Attachment:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a10e_Fotor.jpg

SHR LAKE CHAFFEE'S AUTUMN LEGACY O' TRAD FINIAN MAC JH

Attachment:
omJ6VH0+Rcuj8wDenNwhJg_thumb_a0c7_Fotor.jpg

MAC and TRAD laying in wait to mark and work geese. Both dogs are well trained and know the game well. Both live to work birds, both upland game birds and waterfowl.

Cheers,
Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had a british bred lab. Great dog.

Labs are duck machines. I prefer upland game and got a "Pointing lab"

That hasn't worked out so well.

Mostly my fault. I haven't put in the time. The fact is labs are instinctively not the best dogs for hunting. spaniels and pointers are. but labs are the most trainable.

I still have kids at home and my dogs are pets first and hunters second. That comes at a price.