It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kolar Top Lever
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:11 am 
Diamond Grade

I was shooting with my new Max-lite Sporting this past Saturday and out of the blue the top lever stopped locking open when opening the gun. I could "hold" it to the right and close the barrels and then release the top lever but it no longer stayed locked to the right when I open the gun. I've removed the trigger and stock and looked to see if there were any broken parts or springs but nada. So it's back to Kolar for a fix. Surprised to have a part fail in a new gun(12/15) build.

Last edited by B-Shooter on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Kolar Top Lever
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most likely the top lever pawl is dirty and sticking. Not a horrible job to fix yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Otherwise the pawl or pin needs a tiny adjustment. No parts failed, there really isn't anything in the top lever locking system TO fail.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Skeet_Man:
I spoke to Cody, a gunsmith @Kolar, and asked about what I might be able to do to fix it myself. He said since it was a new gun with few rounds through it that it might be better to let him have a look and make sure everything is in "timing" and adjusted properly. With Kolar's lifetime warranty I know I'm covered I just would rather not have to pack the whole gun up and pay for shipping both ways etc., etc. anyway it left today, Fed Ex next day priority, which is the only way Fed Ex will ship a firearm from an individual to a dealer, and I hope to have it back by this week-end.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good decision to send it back to Kolar. It will be in good hands and get thoroughly checked out. Kolar's customer service is second-to-none and they will make every effort to get it back to you quickly. If you have a competition coming up soon, be sure to let Cody know that. I'm sure they'll move you to the top of the list.

I have two of their guns; a 2005 Standard Skeet and a 2014 Max Lite Skeet, and have never had a lick of trouble with either one. That said, anything with at least one moving part can experience a problem. Kolar rarely lets a gun with any problem get out the door, but it can happen despite all their precautions. They'll make it right.

I returned the 2005 model to Kolar last year for a "freshening up" and it came back looking and operating as new...in less than two weeks.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What Fedex told you was a lie, it is perfectly acceptable to ship firearms from individual to dealer and vice versa. They hosed you for probably 80-100 dollars.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Skeet_Man:

I thought it was BS as I too have shipped many guns via UPS & Fed Ex to dealers and gunsmiths just using ground but I usually let my local gun store do the sending as they are a Fed Ex pick up point. Today they were not shipping anything and I needed to send it next day air anyway so I went to the Fed Ex "store" and yes it cost over $100 to send it. Since Cody agreed to try and get it back to me for this Saturday's shoot at my local club I went for it. I agree Kolar has the best customer service and I've not heard of any reliability issues. Have a friend with a 1996 flat rib Sporter with lots of rounds fired and no issues at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is why I never use FedEx for shipping guns...or, anything else. They play too many games with the customer.

The US Postal service is your best, and cheapest, option for shipping long guns. They won't do handguns, so I use UPS for them.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Of the numerous times I have shipped a gun, I never actually said that it was a gun. I actually just say that it is sporting equipment. Insure it for a hefty price, no questions asked.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:19 pm 
Limited Edition

OldSkeeter wrote:
This is why I never use FedEx for shipping guns...or, anything else. They play too many games with the customer.

The US Postal service is your best, and cheapest, option for shipping long guns. They won't do handguns, so I use UPS for them.

Same here. I used UPS originally but had to drive to Charlotte to a "real" UPS facility as the Postnet type UPS offices won't take long guns. I tried the local post office and it has been easy and inexpensive. Only issue is that to insure a high dollar gun you have to use brown tape. But the one time i did that they loaned me some tape.

KC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:46 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to switch to USPS for future gun shipments for service etc. Brown tape not an issue for me and after the way Fed Ex hosed me yesterday I'm not going back. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

B/c I have a Fed Ex account for my business , I use them all the time. They come to the office and box the gun (maybe "over-box" is the right term) and ship it, no questions asked.

The USPS --here- will only insure the guns to $5000 max. I stopped using them.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sera:
Since I carry gun insurance through the company that advertises with the NSCA my guns are covered when in transit. My local gun store, only a couple miles from my house, has a Fed Ex account and I usually let them handle shipping my guns. Last Monday the shipping guru was not at the store so I went to a Fed Ex "store" big mistake. Cody at Kolar called me this morning. Gun arrived at 9:00 AM and he found the problem, a loose screw in the receiver that effects the top lever locking into position. Anyway he applied some lock tight, and will have the gun back to me by Friday. Great customer service.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Kolars customer service is one of the primary reasons I went to one year before last, and why I just upgraded to another.

Last edited by Rooster booster on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

if the gun is loose , it will affect your molars. :wink:

me , too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Oops! Teeth are fine, but that's what I get for using these damn tiny phone keyboards with big fingers, and no reading glasses.

I have at least twice as many pairs of readers as fingers, but they're usually on my head, around my neck, or in a pocket.....where I can never find them:-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I feel your pane.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:16 pm 
Crown Grade

You are not supposed to use the "store", but should go directly to your local hub.
Overnight is expensive; handguns that cost less and are smaller cost the same.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gun arrived this morning! Yea! Everything working perfectly. Thanks again to Kolar and to Cody for the quick turn-around. Try and get that level of personal attention from Beretta or most of the other European manufacturers.

Only down side was that the freight both ways cost me a ton!! But I did get it back in time for this Saturday's shoot which is what I wanted so I guess I can't complain.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Glad but not surprised you got it back so quickly! I picked up my new Kolar this week.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good to hear all went well K-Shooter.
I've had some private conversations with some guys on this site about the Kolar &, have yet to hear a bad word about the guns or the service.
I know it can be disheartening when hassles like this come up but, with Kolars considerable reputation, I don't believe you'll be having further issues.
It appears to me that Kolar are one of the top, if not, the top of the tree with their quality & service.
For me, it's not that Kolar or, any other gun manufacturer have problems here & there but, the feedback on how seriously they take their commitment to their product.
Thanks for the info on how things went k-shooter.

Kind regards....................SoT

Sydney J. Harris