It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kolar Top Lever
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:37 am 
Diamond Grade

Son of Thurlo:

I have bought and sold/traded many, many competition guns over the years. I guess I've always been easily tempted away by the newest or latest "it" gun or whatever the new shooting star was shooting. What I've learned is a cliche, "it's not the gun it's the shooter". BUT with that said I have enjoyed owning top quality equipment and having had a few "issues" with dealers and manufacturers, I've come to really appreciate the quality, balance, great service, and dedication that Kolar provides its customers. Many top manufacturers build/design solid, durable guns but few are small enough to REALLY be all about their product and all about customer service. Kolar only builds competition guns and only a few hundred in any given year. They are probably the smallest player, by numbers, in the business yet they really try hard. I'm glad there are still companies around like Kolar and I'm pleased to be part of the Kolar owners/shooters fraternity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:48 pm 
Crown Grade

K-Shooter wrote:
I'm glad there are still companies around like Kolar and I'm pleased to be part of the Kolar owners/shooters fraternity.

Me too, brother! {hs#

Post subject: Kolar Top Lever
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:05 am 
Diamond Grade

Update: my top lever "issue" happened again!! This time I called and spoke with John Ramagali, "Raggs", and he had me overnight the receiver back to Kolar. Kolar paid for shipping and after they disassembled the receiver they found that because I custom ordered my Max-lite sporting with optional shinny blue barrels and receiver the thinner blueing compared to the thicker normal nickel plating that they use allowed some of the set screws to back out when the receiver got hot from shooting which allowed the top lever locking mechanism to fail. They told me that they have only made three blued received guns and didn't realize that the additional space taken up by the nickel plating could make such a difference. So they re-taped the affected screw holes and put in oversize screws with lock-tite. Everyone at Kolar bent over backwards to figure out the cause of this very unusual issue and to get my receiver back to me in a couple of days. While I'm not thrilled with having a "new" gun have a re-curing fault I am very impressed with the dedication and customer focus that Kolar has shown towards me and my situation. Just a note: Don't order a blued receiver when ordering a custom Kolar. Go with the engraved or plane nickel plated process.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have this same exact thing on my nickel Kolar from time to time. It's the screw that holds the lever down. It's on the inside of the receiver and I believe it is a 5/32" Allen. Very easy fix, but I agree it shouldn't be doing it. I give that screw a quick tightening every time the receiver is off.

If it happens while you're shooting, you can press the lever down with one thumb while pushing it to the right with the other thumb. That will hold the lever open until the next time you close it. Not ideal, but it's a quick fix if it happens while you're shooting.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

K-Shooter wrote:
Son of Thurlo:

I have bought and sold/traded many, many competition guns over the years. I guess I've always been easily tempted away by the newest or latest "it" gun or whatever the new shooting star was shooting. What I've learned is a cliche, "it's not the gun it's the shooter". BUT with that said I have enjoyed owning top quality equipment and having had a few "issues" with dealers and manufacturers, I've come to really appreciate the quality, balance, great service, and dedication that Kolar provides its customers. Many top manufacturers build/design solid, durable guns but few are small enough to REALLY be all about their product and all about customer service. Kolar only builds competition guns and only a few hundred in any given year. They are probably the smallest player, by numbers, in the business yet they really try hard. I'm glad there are still companies around like Kolar and I'm pleased to be part of the Kolar owners/shooters fraternity.

Amen. I came within a hair of buying a Max Skeet Light yesterday. Barely used. Great price, gorgeous gun. Even the "base" wood was incredible. There something about the way these guns lock up, mount, and point that just makes them special. The balance is phenomenal - you have to experience it to understand. I have nice guns.... but there's a difference.

It does bum me out a little that you had to pay return shipping the first time. I just had to send one of my Guerini's back and they paid return shipping. It cost me $42.00 to get it to them; I dropped it off at my dealer and they sent it on from there. I don't know if they have some blanket policy or what, but they ship a TON of guns so I trust them implicitly. Regardless, there's no doubt Kolar will take care of you - I just think that they could pick up the return shipping on a warranty repair the first time around.

I still want one :) :) :) I've warned my wife that I will buy one if one of the following conditions are met:

1) First 100 straight in a registered shoot (skeet)
2) I turn 50

Worst case =2.5 years.... but I'm practicing REALLY hard :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:58 am 
Diamond Grade

thestumper: Kolar did refund me the money for shipping that I paid on the first return and paid for the second return shipping, both ways, you can't ask for any better treatment than that.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

K-Shooter wrote:
thestumper: Kolar did refund me the money for shipping that I paid on the first return and paid for the second return shipping, both ways, you can't ask for any better treatment than that.

Fantastic! And apologies if I missed that fact in your other post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:17 am 
Tournament Grade

Was just shooting league 5-stand this evening and the same thing happened to my Kolar Max Lite Sporting. It is all standard outside of the custom-fitted stock and is just nearing 1 year old (delivered 12-22-15).

I tried the fix of tightening the allen screw but no luck so I guess I will be sending it in as well. Glad Kolar stands behind their guns. I had a trigger issue on delivery and they fixed it in days. I guess I will ask for the annual inspection at the same time.

Thanks again to the forum and folks contributing.

NSCA#633193

Post subject: Kolar Top Lever
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

rbjammin: The good news is Kolar will make it right. The bad news is that as a bespoke gun maker who only builds a few hundred guns a year there are a few "bugs" that have to be ironed out on a few of the guns. Mine had the top lever "issue" happen twice. Trigger needed to be adjusted once. Stock had a crack near top tang. (Fixed not replaced) even though it was a brand new custom ordered max-lite sporting with options. ($15K). Bottom line it's as good a competition O/U as you can buy but sometimes you have to be patient. JMO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks B-Shooter. I love my Kolar and understand bespoke gun will have its little issues to work out. Having worked (and already talked with Cody) with Kolar, I know the stand 100% behind their products and will make it right.

I am not dissatisfied, and even felt better when I saw this wasn't unique to me. I was told it was likely a timing adjustment that would not take more than a day or two to get fixed and shipped back.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:39 am 
Diamond Grade

Hmmm,
I'm in the process of getting a price quote on the Max Lite Sporter with a case colored receiver. Is this a potential issue for me, do I need to look at a nickel finish ? Like yourself I expect a pretty stiff sum of money to change hands and if my gun hiccups resulting in the need to send it back my wife will go high and to the right!
When you think about plating, there is a significant amount of space this takes up. I wonder if the tolerances will be more on the + side than the - side and if this will affect the lockup and tightness over time?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Texas Yankee: I would not worry about the top tang issue that I had happen twice. I think that Kolar is now aware of this "issue" and have made adjustments to their assembly procedures to insure this will not be ongoing. Since my posting a few other Kolar owners had this same issue so it is a known, even though rare, problem and I don't think it's related to the finish on the receiver. Just know that Kolar will make it right.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thank you, I've taken the case color option off the table. I was kindly provided with an example of a case colored Kolar receiver and IMO it did no justice to the gun. I personally wouldn't even offer it as an option if what I saw was typical. I guess their receiver material is different from most, thus the unusual characteristics of the case coloring process, had the appearance of painted on blue tiger stripes. It is also a $1200 option so with that I'll be like most with some form of standard finish.

Thank you,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

4140 doesn't really take case coloring well, not nearly as well as other metals.

You could always send it to Turnbull, if anyone knows how to go case coloring right it's him, and his prices for a boxlock o/u really aren't that bad.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:31 am 
Crown Grade

Texas Yankee wrote:
Thank you, I've taken the case color option off the table. I was kindly provided with an example of a case colored Kolar receiver and IMO it did no justice to the gun.

If you have an image you can share, I'd like to see it. I've never seen a case colored Kolar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:31 am 
Crown Grade

Texas Yankee wrote:
Thank you, I've taken the case color option off the table. I was kindly provided with an example of a case colored Kolar receiver and IMO it did no justice to the gun.

If you have an image you can share, I'd like to see it. I've never seen a case colored Kolar.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just sent my Kolar in because of a sticking ejector, fixed the problem and got it back all within one week.
Surprised you had to pay shipping both ways, Kolar sent mine back on their $$

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

If I had to pay return shipping on warranty work, I would be unhappy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

I made the mistake of shipping my Kolar to the factory using FedEX. Expensive gun so I decided to send it overnight, $70. Kolar sent it back using 2 day ground. Arrive no problem.
Had to send another Kolar and this time used FedEX two day ground, $19, came back the same way.
Up here I have less hassle with FedEX than UPS or USPO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:10 pm 
Crown Grade

leftex wrote:
If I had to pay return shipping on warranty work, I would be unhappy.

A friend had to do that to Italy for a FAMARS - 3 times at $750 each time........

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin