It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About to scratch that itch, Kolar Max Lite Sporter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:34 am 
Tournament Grade

To all you USA K gun owners, thanks for your responses and advise. This morning I mailed Mr. Paxton a request for a quote: Kolar Max Lite 32" sporter, case colored receiver and a Texas Star engraved on the underside of the receiver highlighted in gold. If the TX star puts it out of range It will be just case colored. I didn't ask for a wood upgrade, but depending on the quote I may pull the trigger on that as well.
So there you have it, I have enough faith in all our conversations I won't be disappointed with the purchase. Obviously it's a special order so I also asked the lead time, I'll keep you all informed and when I get back in the states hopefully it will be waiting.

Thanks to all,

Post subject: Re: About to scratch that itch, Kolar Max Lite Sporter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:21 pm 
Crown Grade

that's great! I don't think I've seen a Kolar done in Case Color, so I look forward to seeing it!

Go get a custom factory fit! It includes a wood upgrade!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:48 am 
Tournament Grade

Custom stock, probably.
I just received an email from Mr. Fournier and they will take a stock that comes closest to a fit and then do the custom work. He said a great deal of time is spent on the grip. The question I had was if I arrive in Racine and the off the shelf stock is a near fit will I still get dinged for the $2,800. He really didn't answer the question and I think it was unfair of me to even ask, but I did. The bottom line is walk in with the $2,800 go home and anxiously await delivery of a custom gun.
Just waiting on a price quote for the gun, that I won't post but may elude to a ballpark price. I'm already thinking of an addition of a little more engraving. I have to stop thinking! My next installment will be I can afford the entire package or I had to trim. If I have to trim it will probably be the TX star because everyone has encouraged me to go with the stock.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:03 am 
Field Grade

The custom fit was the best thing I have done. The price was less when I did it but didn't include the wood upgrade back then. I think we spent 2 hours on the grip. The also moved the pistol grip forward with the same LOP because my fingers were a tad shorter than "average."

Actually, this may have been the worst thing I have done. Now I want to get a custom stock on my competition SxS and pump. When a gun fits that well, others don't feel right.

One thing to realize is $2800 is steep but it is MUCH more expensive to do it later as you will have to purchase the wood and pay for the fitting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

That's a good point and well taken. I've pretty much decided on it even if I have to forego the engraving, but I think I can handle both. I'm just waiting on a price quote and then I'll pull the trigger with a hefty deposit to get things rolling. Any idea how long it takes to get one built or what their backlog is? The sad part is it will take time to get the stock made and I'll probably head back out of the country before I even get to shoot the thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:59 am 
Field Grade

I ordered the gun on Oct 5, 2015 and scheduled my fitting for the Oct 19. There were some earlier dates but was lining this up with a business trip. I accepted deliver on Dec. 22 so it was pretty much 2 months spot on.

Here are some photos I took (should have taken more but was too excited watching the process).

Going from block to stock

Adjusting the fit

One of many mounts

End of day

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:14 am 
Tournament Grade

rbjammin,

Thank you for sharing, I'll do the same once it gets started.
The only thing I've had custom on a gun is the adjustable comb and this really made a difference in my shooting, pretty much allowed me to instinct shoot at least that's my take on it.
So the stock is everything you thought it would be? Out of curiosity what are the two or three biggest things you have found different in your custom stock that makes it yours, I'm just curious.
Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:41 pm 
Field Grade

rbjammin wrote:
So the stock is everything you thought it would be? Out of curiosity what are the two or three biggest things you have found different in your custom stock that makes it yours, I'm just curious.

The process of getting the stock was everything I thought it would be and more. I knew it would help, but didn't realize how much. Here are my three biggest things. Others might have different opinions and those are welcome as this is a custom experience.

1) Perfect grip. I heard this from others before I did it, but maybe 1/3 of the day was spent perfecting the grip. When it was done, it fit my hand perfectly. Palm swell, distance from the trigger, thickness of the grip, etc. are all 100% adjusted my hand and fingers. There is no way I can put my hand on the grip without it falling into its perfect place. A great analogy for me is I am in between a medium and large work glove, and can use either, but having a custom made glove would be so much better.

2) LOP. You could easily have someone chop the stock or add spacers to get your perfect LOP, but custom fitting is more than that. They moved the pistol grip slightly forward than would be standard for the same LOP given my hand size is a little smaller. This in combination with moving the trigger results in perfect placement of my finger on the trigger. I didn't anticipate this adjustment and it something I really notice when I go back to an off the shelf gun.

3) Fit :-). This is why you go right? Here is what I mean. They adjusted the cast off and other dimensions of the stock to fit me. When that gun hits my check it is pretty much right in my shoulder pocket and if I were to look at the beads, there is a nice snow man/figure eight. Pattern testing shows it hits where I look. For me, this was the biggest improvement as I rode motorcycles in my youth and broke my collarbone several times. To get a proper mount, a lot of work was done to work around the effects of these breaks. Looks really odd on the rack, but looks perfect mounted :-)

The other benefit of doing this is the experience. I had never spent this much on a shotgun - really never spent more on anything without a motor or a roof. I had a Beretta before this that was $4000 and I thought that was a lot at the time. Seeing the stock take shape is a bucket list experience by itself. But you also get a factory tour while they are doing some of the work and you meet the people who will build your gun. You leave feeling more like family than a customer. For the money I dropped on the gun, it is great to have the experience and story to go with it.

Sorry for the long post :-). As you can tell I liked what I got and had a good time.

I did a little blog of the experience on the flight home if you want more pics:
https://doc.co/Dsp5MT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

WOW! Yes it's a done deal for the custom stock, I'm just waiting on the price quote and then will roll accordingly. Your post almost makes me want to get my wife fitted as well, yikes!!!!! The American K gun is in the bag, the question is what's in the bag besides the custom stock? I'm sure my wife is going to support some engraving, she is on with the case colored receiver which I think represents understated elegance. Thank you so much for taking the time in putting that down. It really is like a family, that's quite obvious, "old school" as we would say.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TX-Y-

I've kept up with your Thread and a possible alternative (If the engraving cost doesn't fit for you) There folks that can engrave a nice looking grip cap,just something you may not be aware of. :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here is my take on the Custom Stock and why I did it. To shoot a rifle accurately, you line up the rear site with the front sight. With shotguns there are no rear sights; the placement of your head on the stock and relative eye position become the rear sight. The key to consistent shooting of a shotgun is a consistent gun mount. All it takes is a slight variation in how you shoulder the gun from shot to shot, where the gun mounts to your cheek from shot to shot, how erect your head is from shot to shot, and your consistency diminishes. The theory of a custom stock is to make that gun mount more consistent from shot to shot.

The clay target sports are for the most part games of perfection. Having a custom stock specifically constructed for your body gives you a better opportunity for that consistent gun mount. It give you an advantage over someone who is shooting an off the shelf stock. To what degree any particular shooter can cease upon that advantage and whether that offsets the time and price? That is debatable!

There are many shooters out there that can take an off the shelf gun and still out shoot me with my custom fit stock. I however shoot my new gun better than the old gun, so I am not disappointed at all. That said, although I do shoot better scores, I also practice more, have additional professional training, etc. So is it the practice or the gun, or both???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you Hopper 810 (Jerry) and CobraKhan.
Now a grip cap is something I hadn't thought of. I wonder if this is something that can be done at the factory or is there someone you would recommend? Having the CNC should be able to inlet the cap in the blink of the eye. All I wanted for engraving is a nice TX Star highlighted with gold on the underside of the receiver. Two reasons, as a transplanted Yankee I'm proud to live in TX and two if something should happen to me I figure that star will help my wife find a new home for it some where in TX. I'll ask Mr. Paxton if he's ever had them do a grip cap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:01 pm 
Field Grade

Texas Yankee wrote:
WOW! Yes it's a done deal for the custom stock, I'm just waiting on the price quote and then will roll accordingly. Your post almost makes me want to get my wife fitted as well, yikes!!!!! The American K gun is in the bag, the question is what's in the bag besides the custom stock? I'm sure my wife is going to support some engraving, she is on with the case colored receiver which I think represents understated elegance. Thank you so much for taking the time in putting that down. It really is like a family, that's quite obvious, "old school" as we would say.

The custom stock won't disappoint, plus the experience as a whole is one that you will never forget. We are the largest Kolar sporting clays distributor in the U.S. and all of our clients that have gone the route of custom stock have not looked back!

The case coloring is something that is new and has yet to be officially introduced into production. It was not until a couple of weeks ago that they found a process that would work on the receiver.

I have a photo of what the case coloring looks like if interested. The first prototype is a little different than a typical "case-colored".

Web: http://www.mishoot.com
eMai: dlieske@mishoot.com

Michigan's Premier Shooting Destinations

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:39 am 
Crown Grade

Please post that pic of the case colored receiver here for us all to see!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I have placed the image on the Shotgun World photo gallery. It is listed under guns and other since Kolar wasn't listed. The image number is: FILE 1/3147.
I wasn't able to load directly to the forum, sorry. I'm a big fan of case colored receivers, however, this particular example was not random enough for my liking and personally I found it detracting to the point I had no interest to admire/study the outcome of the case coloring process.
If you have any further questions please feel free to PM me. I may again contact Kolar and ask if they have any more examples. This particular example was not provided by Kolar. As an FYI the case coloring option is $1,200.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No offense but that's butt UGLY IMO YMMV :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm sorry for putting the photo up, it does a terrible disservice to the Kolar family.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Similar to the old 'tiger stripe' Perazzi's.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:21 am 
Presentation Grade

I was excited about the past until I saw the picture.
Boehler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:24 am 
Diamond Grade

Texas Yankee wrote:
I'm sorry for putting the photo up, it does a terrible disservice to the Kolar family.

Uh, what? Does that photo of their "case" coloring misrepresent the product in any way?

If the answer to that is no, then it would be a disservice to potential customers to NOT show it.

I think potential customers deserve the chance to see what their money will get them. And what I saw on that picture ain't worth $120 to me, let alone $1200.

Maybe someone else would like it.