CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to post your photos to SGW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:53 pm 
Crown Grade

The easiest way to post photos is to use an online web album like Picasa (if you have a Gmail/Google account you already have this), Photobucket, etc. You can post photos from your MySpace or Facebook albums as well. Whichever service you use, once you can see the image online, skip to step 6.
Shotgunworld edit: Or the Shotgunworld Photo Gallery at cpg1410/index.php

To include an image in your post you can upload it to SGW Photos then paste a link to the image into your post. Here’s how:

Before uploading you should edit your photo a bit. If you don’t have Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop, or Photo Suite, etc., most digital cameras come bundled with some kind of basic photo-editing software – check the setup disc if you still have it.

1. Resize photos for easy viewing in your post (around 800 pixels wide and/or 600 pixels high) and to help make files smaller than 1 Mb.

2. Lower resolution to 72 pixels/inch (maximum resolution of the average monitor) to help make files smaller than 1 Mb. Some editing software will allow you to lower the "quality" setting a notch or two when saving (i.e. Photoshop) to further decrease image size.

3. I find it easiest to open two windows or tabs to post or reply to a post (just in case you need to go back and get more photos): the Photos page and the SWG Forums.

4. Upload the photo to the SGW Photos page. There are a few easy to follow steps.

5. Once uploaded open the picture in its full size by clicking on the image itself – a new window should open up with the full-sized image.

6. Right-click the image and select “Copy Image Location” (Firefox users) or "Copy Image URL" (Chrome users) or "Copy Image Address" (Safari users). IE users will have to select "Properties", then select and copy the URL in the window that pops up (Microsoft always has to do things the hard way :wink: thanks to Rastoff for the heads-up).

7. Paste the link where you want in your post.

8. Highlight the link and click the button labeled “Img”. It will now look something like this:

Code:
[img]http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/normal_Chuck-O_Connell-c1914.jpg[/img]

The photo will look like this:

Click the preview button to check if it worked. If you uploaded a fairly wide image, you may notice that SGW automatically resizes them so they more easily fit on everyone's screens. You can right click on the image in the thread and select "Open Image in New Tab" to see the original size.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by mountaindave on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:01 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: re: How to post your photos to SGW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:49 am 
Field Grade

:o I appear to be having some difficulty posting a picture of my gun from my desktop. I tried to follow your picture posting page, but I'm still having some difficulty uploading the image?. Rich :?:

Post subject: re: How to post your photos to SGW
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:23 am 
Crown Grade

I should have been a bit more specific on step 2, files must be smaller than 4096 KB (per SGW's photo page instructions) or they simply won't upload. (Steps 1 & 2 have been edited to reflect this.) I had this problem myself the first time I tried to upload an un-edited image.

Most modern digital cameras can take extremely large and very high resolution photos that take up a lot of memory. Computer monitors don't need either to display online images adequately. Large, ultra-sharp digital images are intended for high quality photo-finishing or for printing in large format (think poster-size). I'm also guessing SGW has only so much money they can allocate for storage of images :D

Post subject: Re: How to post your photos to SGW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:10 pm 
Crown Grade

This sticky has been updated with functioning links now that the transition to the Brave New Format has been completed...

Last edited by mountaindave on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:48 am 
Crown Grade

I can't find a photos section anymore. Is it gone, or am I blind? :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Claysmoker,
I could not find it either. This site is a work in progress, and hopefully the photo section will be added soon.

JJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:44 am 

I was told that it would be, but after more pressing things are accomplished, I am sure.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:12 pm 
Crown Grade

On one of the many updates by the admins mentioned that photos are coming... soon-ish...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:20 pm 
Crown Grade

That is great news. I could live without it, but it sure is a convenient place to post photos, and fun just looking through the albums occasionally.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, I haven't forgotten the Photo Gallery. Worked on it last night. The Gallery itself is up at
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/ However, I'm having a bit of trouble importing the photos and previous database. I'll keep working on it.
Regards,
Jay G.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can I post photos directly from photobucket like on other sites?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

G'day JoJer,

Yes you can post your photos from Photobucket or any other site for that matter, you just put the relevant address between the two [img] tags. So the code would look like this
Code:
 [IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m2/quickdraw03/Shotgun.jpg[/IMG]

and look like this in the preview,

Hope this helps.

Andrew.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the quick reply.
I tried posting a photo to a reply yesterday and got a msg in red saying the file was empty. ?? I was copying the code to the box next to where it says "Browse" in the attachment area from Photobucket. Should I paste the IMG code string right into the text area of the reply?
Also, I haven't a clue what all this is right below here ("Disable BB code, Disable smilies, etc") is for Is it infolved in this somehow?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JoJer,
If you already have the picture elsewhere on the web (like Photobucket), you past the link directly into the box where you are typing the rest of your response. The Filename / Browse box and button below the reply box are only for sending files directly to the SGW server for hosting.

You don't need to worry about the checkboxes below where you type your response unless you want to select one of those options. Most posters rarely change the default selections unless they want to be notified when someone replies to a thread they have posted in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:26 pm 

JoJer wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply.
I tried posting a photo to a reply yesterday and got a msg in red saying the file was empty. ?? I was copying the code to the box next to where it says "Browse" in the attachment area from Photobucket. Should I paste the IMG code string right into the text area of the reply?
Also, I haven't a clue what all this is right below here ("Disable BB code, Disable smilies, etc") is for Is it infolved in this somehow?

If you fing your picture at your hosting site. Right click inside the image, then select properties at the bottom of the box. When the properties pop up you will see a link in that box, copy and paste that link between the IMG tags here at the forum.[img]right%20in%20here[/img]

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Curly and Chuckar- Again, thanks for the quick repies.
Got to the "Storing guns cased/uncased thread to see if I figured this out right AND some photographic stupidity evidence.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:26 pm 
Crown Grade

aslackigan wrote:
So the code would look like this
Code:
 [IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m2/quickdraw03/Shotgun.jpg[/IMG]

Funny how I never noticed that "code" button before... stranger still that nobody corrected my noob mistake. Perhaps this truly IS the friendliest shooting forum on the web! :D

Last edited by mountaindave on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:30 am 
Tournament Grade

G'day mountaindave,

No problems, it took me a good while to realise that the code tag was there and what it did. I did not point it out as I am a firm believer in that if you get your point across it does not really matter how you wrote it. (I am not sure that last sentence was very well written but I hope you get my meaning). The code tag is handy in that it lets you type exactly what is required. But the same thing can be achieved with the use of a well placed space.

Andrew.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Photo Gallery is up and updated with the latest software.
You can visit it at cpg1410/index.php
Holler if you see any bugs.
Regards,
Jay G.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:23 am 
Diamond Grade

shotgunworld,
The photo link before was listed under the SGW banner on this site. How do I find the photo album other then the link listed above in this post?
Doug