It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Olympic Skeet stock.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:51 am 
Field Grade

I have not posted in a while but have been practicing international skeet on an American skeet field but shooting the international stations ie. doubles at 3,4 5 etc. I have been trying to break the first bird before the stake, and using Blasi's pendulum method for doubles. It works! Now for the gun mount! I use a Rem 3200 and Browning Citori tubed sets. Both guns have 26" barrels which I like. The problem is the mount. I believe the pad is incorrect ie. rubber and I think the LOP is too long for "low gun". What to do? I don't want to modify the existing stock. I could get a Precision Fit stock but don't want to spend that kind of money, plus, I am not sure about the weight/balance of the PF stock. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Peter

Post subject: Re: Olympic Skeet stock.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:39 am 
Tournament Grade

Apparently you have priced a PF stock! $$ First thing I would do is to buy a thinner pad, with radiused top for Sporting Clays - it will help with your mount (by not catching on vest/clothing, with no changes to stock length)
Mike B

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:51 am 
Field Grade

Mike, thanks for the prompt reply. What material should the pad be? Plastic? I just realised that I could get another stock for either the Rem 3200 or the Citori, but then I would have to get it fitted to me etc.
Where would I look for replacement stock pads?
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Gamaliel, Amazon, midway usa, etc

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/619846 ... -3-4-black

There's one...
Mike B

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:19 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks! I will check them out.
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quite a number of shooters have removed their pads altogether. Watch ISSF and note that it's a pretty high percentage. Most iskeet shooters end up with a little shorter LOP. Make sure the gun is coming to the cheek and not the shoulder.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:56 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks pintail! I did get the pad recommended in the link because it is thinner than the one on the gun now. However I have not fitted it yet. I have a European 12 ga. skeet gun as well, and it has no recoil pad. I just don't know how much shorter the LOP needs to be, so I will try the sorbothane one and if it is too thick then I will try no recoil pad at all.
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:00 pm 
Crown Grade

You can slick up the top of a rubber pad with either fingernail polish or even black electrical tape. Personally, I like the Pachmayr Decelerator as it has a hard smooth insert in the top. I do not shoot ISSF, but I do shoot FITASC which also requires a low mount.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:09 am 
Presentation Grade

pknimrod wrote:
I have a European 12 ga. skeet gun as well, and it has no recoil pad.
Peter

Firstly, I don't know what your objectives are getting involved with Olympic skeet and secondly, are you in a place where there are a bunch of other people who shoot it or are you doing this on your own?

The reason for my question is it's a very hard game to learn to shoot even reasonably well and there are many less frustrating ways to spent your time.

I never shot with a recoil pad on any of the guns that I used for Olympic skeet......even when we were allowed to shoot 32 gram loads and I'd sometimes shoot 1,000 shells straight off the bat.

The mount to the face and shoulder requires consistency. You don't want a recoil pad that might snag of your clothing. I always had my guns fitted with either a smooth wooden or ebonite heel plate checkered about 18 lines to the inch on the end.

Getting your gun to fit is of vital importance. How you are going to do that if you are a relative newcomer (I don't mean to sound condescending or patronising) to this game, unless you're in a place where you have access to people who understand this type of shooting to a proficient level, will be a teaser.

I would very definitely not advocate taking a recoil pad off and shooting your gun without anything to protect the stock. That would probably be most uncomfortable and over time you'll likely damage the end of the stock.

Hope that helps without appearing too negative {hs#

Test all theories at their limits - Enrico Fermi
Happiness is a good steak, an excellent Malbec and blood glucose levels under 7.0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:38 am 
Field Grade

Old, thanks for the reply. I shoot at a club where there is one other international shooter. The range is set up for American skeet however I have a Clay Delay with the international random delay option, and can shoot pretty much anytime. I don't like to shoot by myself, but shoot with one other guy. I don't just shoot rounds of skeet either. I am trying to learn!
I had the gun fit checked a few years ago but this was for a mounted gun. Not sure how to check gun fit for a low gun mount as not every gun mount is perfect. Right now I am shooting gun mounted, but shooting the international target "schedule". The rationale is to get used to shooting the first target before the stake and then swing back for the away target in a smooth rhythm. I am shooting subguages. When I have the cadence right then I will start low gun, perhaps not down all the way at first, with either the 20 or the 12. I do not plan on competing at Tokyo, but don't want to shoot the same ol' American Skeet either.
I have shot plenty of rounds of American skeet 'straight" with all guages and see no need to keep doing that.
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

pknimrod wrote:
Old, thanks for the reply. I shoot at a club where there is one other international shooter. The range is set up for American skeet however I have a Clay Delay with the international random delay option, and can shoot pretty much anytime. I don't like to shoot by myself, but shoot with one other guy. I don't just shoot rounds of skeet either. I am trying to learn!
I had the gun fit checked a few years ago but this was for a mounted gun. Not sure how to check gun fit for a low gun mount as not every gun mount is perfect. Right now I am shooting gun mounted, but shooting the international target "schedule". The rationale is to get used to shooting the first target before the stake and then swing back for the away target in a smooth rhythm. I am shooting subguages. When I have the cadence right then I will start low gun, perhaps not down all the way at first, with either the 20 or the 12. I do not plan on competing at Tokyo, but don't want to shoot the same ol' American Skeet either.
I have shot plenty of rounds of American skeet 'straight" with all guages and see no need to keep doing that.
Peter

OK. You've said a lot of things there.

Why don't you send me a PM and tell me where you are........I'm not going to get further involved in a public forum.

Test all theories at their limits - Enrico Fermi
Happiness is a good steak, an excellent Malbec and blood glucose levels under 7.0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

PK, A few quick thoughts: Spend at least as much time on the mount as you do the field. Get some serious coaching from a USAS coach or someone with the right knowledge.

As old said (and he's right) removing the pad is only an option if you seal the end of the stock correctly, but it might let you know the correct LOP. Most iskeet guns end up just a little bit "short".