It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perazzi snap cap got behind ejector - fixed!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:33 am 
Field Grade

Talk about a good day going south; picked up my like new MX2000 28 ga (yes, 28 on a 12 ga frame) this morning from my FFL. Took it straight to Ben Avery, greased it up and shot 200+ birds. Fit me like a special order and hit everything I looked at....well almost. Really feeling good about the whole deal. Even has nice wood, evidently someone paid for an upgrade. Got home, cleaned it up, put in the Perazzi snap caps, dropped the hammers, all good so far. But when I opened the gun to recook and check trigger pulls one of the snap caps got behind an ejector. About has to be a bad snap cap because I had no problems with ejecting fired hulls. So I tried rotating the cap, no luck. Tried removing the ejector, but with the cap in the way the ejector won't go forward enough to let the "disc" come out, so no go. I have not tried tapping it back out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod as that looks like it would basically be forcing it by the ejector, but maybe that is the way to go.
Anybody had this happen? If so, what was the solution? I can get it to a gunsmith next week, but it is killing me to have my new baby laying on the bench!
Thanks

Last edited by SteveM54 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Perazzi snap cap got behind ejector
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:17 pm 
Field Grade

Got it.....
Woke up this morning thinking about how beefy those ejectors are. So snugged the monobloc into a padded vise and used a 3/8 wooden dowell from the muzzle to knock the cap past the ejector. Just took a light tap.
Dug out some Krieghoff snap caps and they work fine. Back in business.
The faux chrome Perazzi caps are in the trash!

Post subject: Re: Perazzi snap cap got behind ejector - fixed!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Glad it had a happy ending. It's worth considering why snap caps are required. With a Perazzi, they are not. On non-removable trigger group models, it's very simple to put a block of wood or similarly dense material against the breech face and snap the trigger twice to ease the springs. On drop out groups, I simply ease the hammers forward, one at a time of course, easing them down with my thumb. Reassemble the gun, or keep it broken down, it doesn't matter.

Post subject: Re: Perazzi snap cap got behind ejector - fixed!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:52 pm 
Field Grade

Duh...... It's been awhile since I owned a RT gun. I used to pull the trigger group to drop the hammers on my ASE 90. But there's been a lot of recoil happen since then!
Thanks for the reminder.