It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Helice?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:51 am 
Field Grade

Does anyone shoot it? Can you tell me about it? Looks awesome.

Post subject: Re: Helice?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes. quite a lot. BUT the long wait times in big shoots is more than I can stand but for one or two shoots a year.

The newer self loading machines save time. BUT the targets are harder to separate due to having to be tightly snapped on for the rigors of being in the self-loading machines. Fewer high scores.

Use tight choke and fast loads. Like 1300 fps thru IM and F chokes.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

Post subject: Helice?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

We shoot it in a # of places in N Ca. It is not cheap and usually you can shoot it without paying for the purse. (means you dont win anything) It is fun but all depends on how the target flys and they can up the rpm's to make it harder. If I remember its about $90 for 5 practice targets and two 15 bird races.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Around here it's about $2 a target for practice. Our machines are "tunable" and can spin the targets up to 10k RPM. We usually shoot at 6000rpm.

In tournaments , it's usually a little lower RPM.

There's a phono release. You switch it on and the next sound--any sound-- releases a target. Most people hold a hair below the center box so as not to obscure the target. Some come out so low , the skim the ground. That is not a "no bird."

Like Olympic trap and pigeons you get 2 shots to separate the 2 parts of the target w/in the ring.

Many years ago I won a shoot , but recently a 5th place finish is the best I have done. That's still worth a few $100 bills and more than pays for your shooting.

The trick is this: acquire the target w/ your eyes BEFORE you start swinging your gun.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tried it and found that it's a game for shooters with fast reflexes and good eye sight. There is little time to acquire the target, move your gun, fire, and get it all done before the target is out of the ring. It's a little like bunker or Olympic trap. You can shoot twice but unless you are "on" the target really fast it's gone or out of range or on the ground. Usually they have a 30 bird race or shoot. Lot's of Perazzi's with tight chokes! You have to hit the target hard to dislodge the white disc. Give it a try, it might just be your thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We have our big shoot in September here at my local club &, they have had a Helice range set up every year except this year.
I've shot it quite a few times &, as Sera says, it' fast & furious.
The trick is, don't try & shoot them like DTL, you can't.
They must be shot instinctively which, is a good thing if, you allow your shooting instincts to take over.
Quite a few of the better shooters are from a sporting back ground where, fast unpredictable targets must be shot instinctively.
Definitely not for the novice shooter.

Regards.............SoT

Sydney J. Harris