Shotgun Forum banner

Some thoughts from you all on this Perazzi

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Huntschool 
#1 ·
I have, for some strange reason, been considering a Perazzi. I do not want a new 2000 whatever but have been enamored by the MX 8's.

That being said I have looked at several with the "step" rib and like the feel. This is something new because I have never, and I mean that seriously, picked up a 2000 "P" gun that felt right save for one. However these MX 8's and this one in particular seem different.

That being said, I have found one that seems to really feel good. 32" barrels, step rib, fair at best wood and I think the barrels are on the heavy side with the bottom barrel after market choked to something that looks like a Briley Series II thin wall but the choke that is in the gun is not marked "Briley" in fact it is scribed as IC....... The price changed on this gun over the past week by $500.00 dollars (and that's up) to the high 3K's.

The gun is obviously used and I have not shot it yet but will this week. The stock seems to be of sporting or skeet dimensions not trap (I did not do an actual measurement) and when I mount the gun I am right flat over the rib. (nicely, I might add)

Can someone give me some thought on how this gun might shoot given what they may know about this step rib setup. I realize this might sound a bit amature but I have no history with this type of setup. Lets just say its not like my K 80 or any of my other guns. Also, how prone is the MX 8 barrel configuration to having the ribs come loose?

Thanks in advance............

See less See more
#2 ·
The 29+" bbls on my SCIT (pre-MX-8) have the stepped, tramline rib. The mounted view is exactly as you describe, and very different than what obtains with my B-guns. Has a field gun visual feel. Some are bothered by the step, but I have zero awareness of it when the gun is mounted. Rib is not especially high, anyway.

But POI is pretty high, a bit over 70/30 on paper. Not like most field guns.

The odd thing is that I center targets with it better than with anything else. I thought I would have trouble with droppers and chondelles, but don't. Evidently, I float it without conscious effort.

I have no idea why that happens. But I can't blame the gun for the misses.

Parenthetically, I experimented by raising the combs on my 391s to get the same POI with same cheek pressure. I said "awhile" b/c I discovered that I was indexing more to the (unfocused) visual than to the cheek pressure.

Those shorter bbls weigh just 1.55kg, and I have a complete subgauge set of Briley ULs. Sometimes shoot subgauge with it and like it just fine. Very dynamic shooting as a 12.

My gun dates to 1969 and rib is as solid as can be. It has .725 bores and S1 Brileys. I would want to be sure how the gun is threaded before considering purchase.

Sam

#3 ·
Bruce, like you, I've owned or shot just about everything. I settled on the MX8 action 15+ years ago. I initially started out with the small step rib because before the Perazzi, I shot the K gun with the Vandalia rib. Before that, the 3200 with the step rib and a few auto's as well. I liked the visibility of the small step, but you know who preaches the flat rib. Since we are pretty good friends and I got tired of hearing about it, I sold my step rib guns and replaced them with flat ribs about 5 years ago. No complaints and I do like the lines of the flat rib and I'm mostly a Fitasc shooter any way. I do not like the super tall mega rib that seems to be the latest fad in sporting and I am starting to see people move back to a lower rib. That being said, I really thought the small step rib was a great all around target gun set up. If you like it and it works for you, go for it. Neither one of us is getting any younger. :lol:

TR

#4 ·
Thanks Samuel and TR. I am going to try to shoot the gun this week. That should tell me what I want to know.

FYI, this rib seems a bit higher then what I thought I had seen before. I am guessing from memory but I think the top of the rib at the muzzle is about 1/4-3/8 inch above the top of the barrel.

Guess I'll go to the POI plate first.... then shoot some targets.

#5 ·
I like to look down on the rib a little....guess I started shooting Perazzi's as a boxed pigeon shooter and it stuck. I have 2 MX 8 type guns now....my favorite 28g and my workhorse 12g (an SC 3 engraving wise).

Bruce: Try it 1st , but I think you'll like it.

sera

TR: My wife suggested I make the trip to Wenig's. Is that a good wife or what :?:
[She has three Wenig stocks.]

#7 ·
Thanks Sera... yea, and TR....

I did not get to shoot it today. Too busy doing the coach thing with two AIM shooters at Sparta. I am going back tomorrow and will try and get it at least to the pattern plate......

Like I need another gun..... wait, yes, I do.......

#8 ·
Bruce, I have 2 older mx8s with 32"barrels and love them. They both are type 3 with very nice wood on them for a perazzi lol. You are more then welcome to shoot around with them,they are not for sale. They might be choked too tight for you though. 030 and. 044. I want to find a older mx8 or comp 1 with 29 1/2 " barrel to turn into a pheasant gun.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#9 ·
Thanks Doug. I may want to do that.

I did not get to shoot the gun today as I got busy with students and some "politics" while at the range. I am going back on Thursday and will try and shoot the darn gun.... LOL....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.