It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: busting myths is fun
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The myth is that a Perazzi leaf spring will go all at once and a coil spring just fades over time.

Not so , Sherlocks.

My wife's gun , an SC 3, started having light primer strike's during the Worlds, bottom bbl only. I could see no broken spring. So I swapped out for the spare trigger group. No more issues.

At home I looked at the trigger group and springs and could see no break. BUT-- I could feel the lighter strike of the bottom bbl hammer.

I took the spring out and there was a thin --hair-line-- fracture of the hammer-spring. You could barely see it w/ the naked eye.

It's now fixed and back in the gun. That gun has had 50k shells thru it and had two hammer springs replaced. Everything else is tip-top.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

Post subject: Re: busting myths is fun
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Interesting stuff. This past year I have seen two broken springs, one was mine and the other a shooting companion's, and both were hard fails. You could even hear the "click" of the hammer fall that sounded strange. Both broken, both still in one piece however, though one leaf was folded against the other at rest. Both back in action in two minutes.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 pm 
Field Grade

Interesting. I had always thought that when leaf springs failed, they failed completely. But I was talking to a guy at the club last weekend that had the same experience as you with your wife's gun -- a hairline crack leading to light primer strikes. He's had to replace them fairly frequently in some of his Perazzi's. I, on the other hand, am still on the same set of leaf springs for the last 6+ years and several 10's of thousands of rounds in my MX-8.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Interesting....although I suspect this is the exception rather than the rule.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Agreed. A couple of 'instances' don't erase the basic history. Though I suspect the crack first, but generally work as designed until the big kaput.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Very interesting, indeed. I wouldn't say you've busted a myth, Sera :) , but your hairline crack is a different failure mode.

I've replaced two springs, personally. One on my gun several months ago, and one on a friend's last weekend. Both were hard fails, just like GF1's above.

I have to say, I love the Perazzi trigger design, even though these leaf springs do go after a while. Always keep a trigger kit handy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:09 am 
Presentation Grade

Happened to me as well. During a practice round it seemed the trigger pull on my MX8 was a little lighter. When I got home I dropped the trigger and noted a hairline crack in the leaf spring which snapped in two when I attempted to remove it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Where is the best place to purchase an MX8 spring kit? Does the normal kit have two springs, installation tool and two firing pins?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Don Rackley. He has the Giuliani kits with better firing pins and springs for the best price. Google his name his website will show.