It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens 555: 20ga and 28ga ongoing review thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

I bought two Stevens 555 today, a 28ga and a 20ga.
They had them marked down to $423, then gave me 10% off that so it was $380 each. The wood on both guns was nicer than the wood on my Citori 725. So, too good to pass up, I bought 'em!

I did check two things: That the safety/selector switch worked in all positions, and that you could fire both barrels in either order. And then the trigger pull. I tested trigger pull by balancing gun hanging on trigger. Both guns fired well before full weight was on the trigger, so them being < 6lbs, I'd say they were 4-5lb triggers which is nice.

I haven't shot them yet, just put them in safe, will try them out on Wed at the skeet range. Now, them being so light, I need to load up some light 20ga 3/4oz loads!

At that smoking good price, I can resell them if I don't like and not be out much if any. I'm sure they won't stand up to massive use, but I didn't buy them for that--my cynergy and citori are for that. These are just for the occasional round of skeet on the 28ga without bending over (I have a Wby SA08 28ga that I use for hunting); and for something I can take into the marsh for ducks and not feel bad about getting dirty/scratched. I probably do have to add some weight to that 20ga for duck loads...

I posted this in it's own thread, as I plan on making updates a la "cdb canvasback" style-- hopefully it will be a good review thread for the guns, though I'm sure I'll never put the rounds through them that cdb does his!

Here's a thread where I posted previously on 555 while shopping/deciding:
viewtopic.php?p=3661719#p3661719

Post subject: Re: Stevens 555: 20ga and 28ga ongoing review thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Took the 555's to the skeet range today.
20ga worked fine, shot a round of skeet, all good.
28ga ga-- NOT FINE. First shot, it double fired both barrels. Having read all about this happening with other folks, and toasty has some writeups on the gun rebounding and hitting your finger causing the 2nd fire possible, I was holding it carefully and stroked the trigger lightly and with just the edge of my finger. Didn't matter, both barrels fired. There did not appear to be any discernible separation between the shots, no bang-bang as I'd expect if the gun rebounded back into a finger. Just one louder than normal report and maybe slightly longer.
Recoil wasn't bad, so I kept shooting it. I shot 5 more times, of which two more were double-barrels-both-firing-at-once. So 3 doubles in 6 shots. Stopped using it, switched to the new 555 20ga, which worked perfectly.
After folks were gone, I tried shooting the 28ga again, shot 8 times with no double-firing.
Deciding on course of action; I guess I need to send the gun in to Stevens. I know from their website that I have to pay shipping, they pay return.

I researched this gun, and others, carefully for about 6 months, and was fully aware of the double-fire issue, and in fact did get a double fire on a 12ga 555 the one time I tried shooting it. However many users reported no issues with their guns. I specifically elected to take the risk of this double-fire problem, because of all the low-cost o/u out there (6 or so) I liked the fit and feel of the 555 best, and the low purchase price made it an acceptable gamble.
My recommendation would be that for folks where this purchase is significant to them, and they need to be able to use the gun, do NOT purchase the 555. I'd look at the CZ line for low cost instead. We'll see how the repair goes; if they fix the double-fire issue and return the gun in a decent timeframe, it may still turn out to be an acceptable purchase in situations like mine where it's a secondary/additional gun intended for kids use next season.