It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review: 2015 ATI Cavalry Sport 12 gauge O/U
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:36 pm 
Field Grade

I recently picked up trap shooting as a hobby about 2 months ago. Started off with a decent single shot and since I have stuck with it, decided I wanted to move onto a Over/Under for doubles/potentially sporting clays. This is a once a week (100-150 round) hobby for me, so I was not looking to spend over $600 for a casual over/under. Started searching the internet for reviews of what seems to be termed “budget” over/unders and it’s really tough to find detailed reviews or opinions from individuals who actually own these shotguns. I have spoken to many people about these affordable O/Us and naturally got the suggestion to “save your money and buy a used Citori or reputable semi-auto.” Great and respectable suggestion, however, I didn’t want a semi-auto because I don’t want empty shells thrown all over the place (or to deal with a shell catcher) and a used Citori for $900 was still over my budget. So, I decided to take a chance.

Based on the research and feedback available, I purchased the brand new 2015 ATI Cavalry Sport 12 gauge O/U with 30” barrels, single selective trigger, raised vented rib with double brass beads, 5 choke tubes and extractors. There is little to no information on the ATI Cavalry O/Us out there (especially the 2015 Sport model), so I figured I would do my best at contributing a review of my own 2015 ATI Cavalry Sport. The fit and finish of this gun is very nice. The receiver is laser engraved with swirls and flying clay targets…I really wish it didn’t have the silly clays – I think it cheapens the look of the gun. I understand their choice for this engraving in the sporting model, but I would have appreciated something a little more rugged like their original duck engraving. The Turkish walnut is beautiful and the wood to metal fit is consistent. Both the forend and stock have deep checkering.

The action was a little stiff when I bought it (as expected), but after a little cleaning and 100 rounds it loosened up beautifully. It shoulders and swings very nicely for me (I guess I should mention that I’m a female shooter standing at 5’6”) and the balance seems comparable to higher end O/Us that I have shot. This shotgun is relatively light-weight (exact weight unknown – definitely lighter than a Citori). Some reviews of the earlier Cavalry non-sporting model have stated that the recoil is unmanageable. To my understanding, the newer models have been fit with a thicker recoil butt pad and I have zero issues with the felt recoil. I would even describe it as very mild. I have only had it for a week, so I haven’t had time to go out and pattern it yet. So far I have put 200 rounds through it without any issues. It’s points very naturally and I’m breaking clays left and right – very happy with it so far.

I have already had a positive experience with customer service. I was curious which extended choke tubes were compatible with the shotgun and received an email response within 2 hrs of submitting my online inquiry (the answer is Berreta/Benelli mobilchoke system).

I just wanted to get this post going and hear what you all would like to learn about this shotgun. Naturally, only time and round count will tell about this shotguns ability to hold up. I hope to check back on a regular basis with updates. I have uploaded some pictures with the post (http://imgur.com/a/5HPrx -- patterns to come). Is there anything else you guys want to know? I’m by no means an expert, but I have experience and someone has to help get information/feedback about the Cavalry Sport out there.

Click Link to view pictures: http://imgur.com/a/5HPrx

Post subject: Re: Review: 2015 ATI Cavalry Sport 12 gauge O/U
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Glad to see your post! Just picked one up myself last week. Going to clean it up tomorrow. Degreasing barrels and going to pull butt stock off to polish sear engagement, oil cocking rods and grease critical areas. Looking forward to shooting it soon!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:25 pm 
Field Grade

fph6666 wrote:
Glad to see your post! Just picked one up myself last week. Going to clean it up tomorrow. Degreasing barrels and going to pull butt stock off to polish sear engagement, oil cocking rods and grease critical areas. Looking forward to shooting it soon!

Great to hear from another owner! 350 rounds through mine so far. I'm really enjoying it. Already improved my trap game and I'm hoping to get out and shoot some sporting clays soon. I'd love to hear your thoughts after your first outing!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

It looks exactly like my Pointer that is made in Turkey by Khan. Is the barrel marked that it is made by Khan? I like the fact that it takes the Beretta/Benelli Mobil chokes. I bought extended chokes for my gun to shoot clays with and I use the flush chokes for hunting.

ps. I kind of like the cheesy looking clay targets on the side. Mine has some birds flying that also looks cheesy...LOL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:25 am 
Field Grade

That looks very nice indeed. Just curious, but when you say it's lightweight, does it have an alloy or steel receiver?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:53 am 
Field Grade

tt123 wrote:
That looks very nice indeed. Just curious, but when you say it's lightweight, does it have an alloy or steel receiver?

It is an aluminum receiver. Unfortunately, I still can't find the exact weight anywhere. For me, the weight is perfect. It's not too light (the recoil is very mild) and not too heavy. The balance is a little more toward the nose of the barrels. I think it swings really well. I'll keep looking for the exact number.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:06 am 
Field Grade

Halwg wrote:
It looks exactly like my Pointer that is made in Turkey by Khan. Is the barrel marked that it is made by Khan? I like the fact that it takes the Beretta/Benelli Mobil chokes. I bought extended chokes for my gun to shoot clays with and I use the flush chokes for hunting.

ps. I kind of like the cheesy looking clay targets on the side. Mine has some birds flying that also looks cheesy...LOL

Your Pointer is a great looking O/U as well! I believe these are made by Kofs (this is engraved on the bottom on the reciever under Cavalry Sport -- it's one of my photos). That's the only marking I noticed. I was thinking of getting some extended chokes for mine as well. Let me know how they work for you!

Yeah, the cheesy clays are starting to grow on me haha. I like the duck engraving on your Pointer!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:35 pm 
Utility Grade

hanbanan wrote:
tt123 wrote:

It is an aluminum receiver. Unfortunately, I still can't find the exact weight anywhere. For me, the weight is perfect. It's not too light (the recoil is very mild) and not too heavy. The balance is a little more toward the nose of the barrels. I think it swings really well. I'll keep looking for the exact number.

Just put mine on a postal scale, it shows 6 lbs. 13 oz.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I just got a 12 gauge ATI Cavalry with a 28" barrel. Very attractive gun with nice workmanship. Shot 100 rounds yesterday and gun worked flawlessly. My only issue is that the recoil is fairly heavy. After 100 rounds my shoulder is black and blue. I might be holding the gun incorrectly as the bruising is on the inside of my arm rather than on my shoulder. I like the action and the trigger. My only issue might be the light weight and recoil but I am also not used to shooting that many rounds at one time and I probably need to look at my technique. The gun points and shoots great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:32 pm 
Field Grade

Checking back in with an update! Just recently hit 2,500 round count on my cavalry sport. I am still loving this shotgun. I have had no issues with it at all and I have no complaints. It has definitely served its purpose for me as a great entry level, affordable, and dependable O/U. I think I'll be purchasing some extended choke tubes for it in the near future. The fit and weight are perfect for me and my trap game has improved exponentially!

I'm happy to provide any more info on my experience with this O/U :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just bought an ATI in 28 gauge and was interested in these reviews. Its a very light weight shotgun and I need to get out and shoot it. Won't see many clays but looks great to carry for grouse this fall.

DP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:01 pm 
Crown Grade

My Legacy Pointer, pictured above, has about 4500 rounds through it. For the 5-stand and sporting clays i shoot I bought Carlson's extended chokes in IC, LM, and M. they all pattern very nicely, and those 3 cover all the presentations I shoot. For an O/U it does fine for me.

I do have a Benelli Sporting semi with 30" ported barrels that is a much more expensive gun, but my scores are generally the same with either gun. In the Benelli I put in the LM choke and use it for everything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

My ATI has a grouse engraved on the receiver and takes Benelli Mobile chokes. Aluminum frame with steel pins. Won't see a lot of clays but it is very lightweight and will get carried a bit. Came with 5 chokes. Near as I can determine, Cyl, IC, M, IM and full.

DEP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:26 pm 
Limited Edition

I just picked up one of these too but mine is a 20ga. I wanted a light carry gun and boy did I get one, comes in a tad over 5lbs soaking wet. I haven't shot mine yet but plan to get it out wed after work. The wood on mine is above average, easily above average. The stock on this 20 ga is very slim in the grip area and will be nice on those days when I find myself wearing gloves. As it goes now I'm on the short side (5'-6" and shrinking) so no problem for me but a larger guy might find it too slim. I hope to contribute to this thread over time with actual results both good or bad as they happen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:46 pm 
Limited Edition

a couple of questions for current owners. did you remove the stock from the action and spray out the internals with a cleaner? also it is stated that this is an oil finish, mine has some nice figure and i wouldn't mind trying to enhance it with a few more coats of finish for some depth. anyone look into this?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I just picked up one of these to go along side my Sarsilmaz Magic autoloader. I hope it shoots good and I can load it with some very light loads to get my wife to try trap and skeet shooting.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I picked up my sport from my dealer Friday and took it out for a round of trap today. It shot fine but the recoil is a little more than the semi auto gas gun. My triggers are a little heavy but not horrible. So far I like it and so does the wife.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:56 am 
Limited Edition

a guy has one of these in 28 ga listed for sale for 390.00 on 24hrcampfire. i'm tempted to buy it as i have always wanted a 28 ga.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I received one of the Cavalry guns in .410 as a wedding present. Loved it so much that I bought it in 28 as well and my dad bought the 20. My dad is a hair over 5,000 through his bow between skeet, sporting clays and hunting. I've had no issues with any of them. All receive a cleaning after shooting and still look great. These are a great bargain buy for sure. Not sure how it will hold up over 10k+ rounds but we'll find out in a year or so I'd imagine.