It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dickinson combo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 pm 
Limited Edition

My hunting and shooting buddy showed up at the range today with a new Dickinson Estate 20/28 combo gun. DT, straight hand, splinter forearm, checkered butt, 28" tubes... nicely figured wood. The wood isn't finished as darkly as my .410 but the figure is similar. Came with a case, snap caps, 2 sets of choke tubes...

With the 28 gauge barrels installed it still looks right even though the frame is scaled for the 20.

As anticipated the gun shoots and handles very nicely (like my S&W 20 and Dickinson 410).

Me, I brought my 12 ga. Citori today for the first time in 2-3 years. What a club! I still crushed clays with it though it is not nearly as elegant as the SxSs. Now I'm thinking I need another Dickinson. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Dickinson combo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:25 pm 
Field Grade

GrizG wrote:
...a new Dickinson Estate 20/28 combo gun. DT, straight hand, splinter forearm, checkered butt, 28" tubes... nicely figured wood.

I've seen similar combo sets at the local Cabela's and the ones I've seen are really nice to look at -- and handle.

GrizG wrote:
As anticipated the gun shoots and handles very nicely (like my S&W 20 and Dickinson 410).

If I recall, the S&W 20 SxS was made by the same factory that made/makes the Dickinson's, so there's a lot to like there. Turkish? Yes, but they all have a fine pedigree.

GrizG wrote:
Me, I brought my 12 ga. Citori today for the first time in 2-3 years. What a club! I still crushed clays with it though it is not nearly as elegant as the SxSs.

Now that's interesting... I also have a 20 ga Dickinson SxS, which I dearly love to shoot, but the guys at the range convinced me I was "handicapped" by using a 20 gauge, and in a side-by-side. So to break more targets, I just acquired a used Citori Lightning in 12 gauge, and on the first outing my scores at 5-Stand and Skeet went up by + 4-5 birds per 25.

I still love to shoot that sweet little Dickinson SxS, but with the wood butt, wide sighting plane and smaller gauge, I know my target scores will improve with the O/U. I had resisted this move for years, trying to do better with the SxS. Sure, I had some very good and a couple of almost great days, but I do think my shooting will be more consistent with the heavier and harder hitting Citori.

GrizG wrote:
SxSs... Now I'm thinking I need another Dickinson. :wink:

I was almost there too... Was just about to "pull the trigger" on a 12 ga Dickinson SxS, but it also had a wooden buttplate, and after a round of 50 clay targets -- or like yesterday where we shot 5 rounds of skeet -- I think I'd be feeling it for sure and it probably would have affected my scores.

I guess it comes down to this...

I do love the svelte and "elegant" (as you called it) 20 ga SxS, but I'll carry that one more than I'll shoot it, and I'll enjoy using it in the woods and wilds of Maine. But on the trap, clays or skeet fields, I think I'll shoot better and more consistently with the heavier/larger Citori. I wish I could do as well with the SxS, but it just didn't turn out that way.

Tight groups.

Old No7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Old No7 wrote:
GrizG wrote:
Me, I brought my 12 ga. Citori today for the first time in 2-3 years. What a club! I still crushed clays with it though it is not nearly as elegant as the SxSs.

Now that's interesting... I also have a 20 ga Dickinson SxS, which I dearly love to shoot, but the guys at the range convinced me I was "handicapped" by using a 20 gauge, and in a side-by-side. So to break more targets, I just acquired a used Citori Lightning in 12 gauge, and on the first outing my scores at 5-Stand and Skeet went up by + 4-5 birds per 25.

I have a 20 ga White Lightening (my "magic shotgun") and the 12 ga Citori (Field). White Lightening vs. S&W... the WL is better for the longer sporting clays shots due to more weight out front. Close stuff... the S&W wins. This is probably because I shoot from a low gun as my primary interest is upland hunting not clay games. The clay games are for fun and I find that it's mostly for fund raisers these days (e.g., Ruffed Grouse Society, Boy Scouts).

Old No7 wrote:
I was almost there too... Was just about to "pull the trigger" on a 12 ga Dickinson SxS, but it also had a wooden buttplate, and after a round of 50 clay targets -- or like yesterday where we shot 5 rounds of skeet -- I think I'd be feeling it for sure and it probably would have affected my scores.

In 12 ga I doubt it would be fun to shoot 100-200 rounds at clays with a Dickinson... I have no problem shooting that volume with the 20 ga S&W version. Not tender at all the next day. My 410 would never hurt!

Old No7 wrote:
I guess it comes down to this...

I do love the svelte and "elegant" (as you called it) 20 ga SxS, but I'll carry that one more than I'll shoot it, and I'll enjoy using it in the woods and wilds of Maine. But on the trap, clays or skeet fields, I think I'll shoot better and more consistently with the heavier/larger Citori. I wish I could do as well with the SxS, but it just didn't turn out that way.

I tend to agree... however, I'm thinking that with a 30" barrel a 20 ga Dickinson would probably be on par with my White Lightening on the sporting clays range. With the 26" barrel the S&W doesn't work as well as the WL on the longer shots as it's too muzzle light. When it comes to upland hunting, shooting over my English Setter, I tend to have to let the bird fly a bit before shooting so as to not blow them to bits. As such the SxSs work just fine for hunting and are much nicer to carry in the grouse woods where the days are measured in miles.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What does this cost in the Estate Model? I have a 16 gauge Estate on order from the Dickinson Custom Shop, but expected it will still be months before I get it. Bought a new SKB 200 two barrel comb - 28/.410 on a 28 gauge frame and I love it. Single Trigger and 5 choke tubes for each gauge. Just got this last week and only have shot the 28 gauge barrels so far.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have both 20 ga and 28 ga Dickinsons and love them both. One of my hunting buddies has the combo 20/28 and I have to say, with the 28 ga barrels installed, I like the way his handles a little better than my 28.

BTW - there is an elegant solution to that ridiculous checkered wood butt - a proper recoil pad. I used the Pachmayr Old English 0.6 inch thick in brown. Looks great and takes the bite out of what recoil there is.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 am 
Crown Grade

I always get a chuckle out of someone being held hostage by a checkered butt on their gun. I'm still convinced that it was a joke instigated by some gunsmith to retaliate against a difficult customer that somehow caught on and went viral. It is your gun and if you're serious about using it, don't be intimidated by a butt treatment never intended for anything other than being carried by a manservant and handed to the aristocrat to shoot. It was never intended to touch anything other than the shooter's shoulder and aside from the recoil issue, is particularly unsuited to the "rough shooting" of our upland hunting. The fact that you raised the issue is clear evidence you intuitively knew it was not suited to your purposes, just fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:49 pm 
Limited Edition

rkittine wrote:
What does this cost in the Estate Model? I have a 16 gauge Estate on order from the Dickinson Custom Shop, but expected it will still be months before I get it. Bought a new SKB 200 two barrel comb - 28/.410 on a 28 gauge frame and I love it. Single Trigger and 5 choke tubes for each gauge. Just got this last week and only have shot the 28 gauge barrels so far.

Bob

I don't know for sure what the gun itself cost... my buddy mentioned he was into it for almost $2,700 but that also included the shipping, tax, and transfer fee. Dealers around here are getting $25-$75 per gun for transfers, tax is 8%. Making some guesses I'd assume the gun itself was about $2,400.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rkittine wrote:

Bob

There's an Estate 20/28 ga combo listed in the Billings, MT Cabela's Gun Library for $2299.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.