ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Legacy Sports Pointer Clays over / under
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:35 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone running a Legacy Sports Pointer Clays over/under ?

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/po ... r-shotgun/

Any problems ?

How many rounds did you fired in the meantime ?

Post subject: Re: Legacy Sports Pointer Clays over / under
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:51 pm 
Utility Grade

This gun is in my inventory for about three years. I use it as a back-up clay shooter. Its funny nobody responds. The old adage of “if you don’t have anything good to say - don’t say anything,” goes here. The news isn’t all bad though. I bought this as a first clays gun. It does what the advertising says – “it breaks clays.” Now for the nitty gritty:
Pros:
Well Regulated barrels, it points well and hits where you point.
Has an adjustable comb.
Narrow and light.
The Khan trigger mechanism is rock solid. Never had a trigger related misfire.
Cons:
Metallurgy on barrels, monoblock and receiver is horrible. You will continually fight rust in the chambers and on the receiver.
It was designed as an ambidextrous gun so you may have problems getting good eye/barrel alignment. I had to put a Greyco adjustable butt plate on mine to get proper and consistent alignment.
Wood screw on inside of the forend will work loose. You will have to lock-tight it.
Trigger guard got loose after a while.
SO
This is also a Khan gun, all be it a low end version. I have about 3000 shells down the barrels of mine. If I would have known about the TT-15 before I bought this, I would “not” have bought it. For 1000 dollars you can have a TT-15. The TT-15s have much better quality control and ~3X better metallurgy.
This gun would be better priced around 500 dollars. If you could get it for that, it would be an OK buy. This is only an OK gun. Good for the budget minded at ~500 dollar price point. I have seen a college student from Florida State shooting one at the club and he shoots well with it. I also hit well with it.
The reality is that at the 1000 dollar price point, there are much better guns to be had. This one is now my teenager’s clay gun when he wants to go to the club for a bit of fun and my back-up gun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:45 pm 
Field Grade

So are these 3 shotguns - Made by Kahn - all the same - besides having 30 or 32 inch barrels ?

1. Legacy Sports Pointer Clays

2. Mossberg Silver Reserve II

3. Tristar Sporting / TT-15 Sporting

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Looks like nothing more than a gussied up version of what was previously sold as the Mossberg Silver Reserve. You can go back and read the reviews of those-- not good. I'm surprised that sullij says the barrels and trigger were good on his, as the Khan guns marketed under their own name and under the Mossberg name were not know for good barrel regulation, and had a reputation for doubling.

Caveat Emptor...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello All,

Yes, similar to the Silver Reserve and yes gussied up. The club where I shoot had a bunch of Silver Reserves (20 ish total) as renters and had nothing but problems with them. As a matter of fact I think they are now all broken. These were the older Mossburg Silver Reserve. The Silver Reserve II supposedly overcame the metallurgy, firing pin, and doubling problems. I have never shot the Silver Reserve II so I wouln’t know.
I can say I have never experienced any of the trigger (doubeling) or firing pin problems with the pointer -YET. The metallurgy definitely is still not good on this particular gun. This is the gun that Khan currently markets as the SXL (hopefully because the SXL is newer, the problems have been fixed, dunno). Mine looks more like the current Mossburg Silver reserve II (if I had to compare to a Mossberg). I can’t speak to others experience with Mossberg. I can only impart my experience with this particular gun and the Mossies I rented. YMMV.
So to answer Kingair: Yes to the Silver Reserve II and Pointer (the Pointer is W/O scrollwork). The barrels on the pointer are Khan-Arthemis barrels, reciver and monoblock.

The TT-15 is also a Kahn gun but of much higher quality but “you pay more for it”. The TT-15 is more a of a modern supply chain fed hybrid. The receiver design, cocking and trigger mechanics keep the Kahn design (no doubt to avoid re-tooling machinery) but the barrels are Huglu ( CZ uses Huglu for some of their models). The receiver and other parts have a higher quality metal (no corrosion issues). So the TT-15 appears to be the child modern supply chain manufacturing, where parts and materials are selected from varied sources based on quality and the ability to be integrated easily into a product line.
All of The TT-15 parts are of much higher quality. The metallurgy is on par with higher priced guns so rust is a non-issue. Machining is well done and the Huglu barrels are spot on. The overall finish and features are of a much higher quality. In my conversations with Tristar, they stated that each TT-15 barrel is custom fitted to its receiver so attention to detail comes in the TT-15. It’s simply a better “purpose built” machine.

The other two guns (Pointer and Silver Reserve II) are trying to be all round shooters at a lower price point (except for the TT-15 Sporting). I saw a post about the silver Reserve II that noted “it will be hard for Mossburg/Khan to overcome the poor reputation that the original Silver Reserve created.” Probably so. Khan looks like a very responsive manufacturer. They just might overcome.

I pattern all my O/Us from both the 16 and 40 yd line. I have or have had several O/Us from various manufacturers, low end and higher. The Kahn guns I own, once the comb/stock is set, pattern right where I expect or want. They always go bang when the trigger is pulled and break targets when I have my head out of my netherlands.
Kahn is a supplier to many companies and is building their guns to meet market demands. It seems that as new designs are being created to meet market demand the quality improves and the price goes up.
An example is the TT-15 Delux. Shooters wanted a drop out trigger. In no more than 2 years Kahn produced the TT-15 Delux with drop out triggers and all the adjustable bells and whistles. They are now producing a Bunker model TT-15. I expect that Kahn will produce a model for any budget but the caveat is and always will be “you get what you pay for.
The real sad thing is that American manufacturers are moving Techniques and designs to other countries in order to take advantage of lower production costs (From a business standpoint that makes sense, it keeps our purchase cost down). That also means it is companies like Khan that will ultimately benefit from the experience. They will produce the better product as they gain experience and feedback that American manufacturers are losing.
Alas, it is the way of the global world.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:44 pm 
Field Grade

So if I read it correct :

The Tristar TT-15 Sporting is a better build / higher quality shotgun compared to the Mossberg Silver Reserve II and Legacy Sports Pointer Clays ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:15 am 
Utility Grade

"Don't own one" but if it stays true to its lineage - yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Recently bought a new Legacy Sports Pointer Clays O/U. So far a few hundred rounds and no functional issues. I will post back with updates as I shoot it more often. I will be fair and impartial evaluating it and plan to give a more detailed report when I hit 2k, 4k, etc. Any functional issues will be reported as they occur. I will be glad to answer any questions till I present my 2k report and evaluation. As of right now its too early to pass judgement on the Pointer Clays O/U. I will say that I bought it new on clearance locally for $499 + tax and will consider that as well as the current retail price of the shotgun online as part of my evaluation of this shotgun in my 2k report.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:54 am 
Utility Grade

Still no issues to report on the Pointer Clay's 12 gauge. It feels solid and is a great shotgun thus far.I have about 1500 rounds through it and its now very easy to break open. It may be a bit early to recommend it but I have not seen any issues that would lead me to say "stay away from it". I will continue to update from time to time.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

TK6411,

Any issues with the shotgun mentioned above?

Just curious.

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Zero issues with the Legacy or my new Tristar Sporting O/U. Both perform as advertised.

Jim

gomerdog wrote:
TK6411,

Any issues with the shotgun mentioned above?

Just curious.

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:25 pm 
Utility Grade

2k round zero failures with the Pointer. Highly recommended.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought a Pointer 1000 20GA for my son NIB for $360 off CalGuns. Reviews seem mixed here and elsewhere. My son was shooting a cheap Mossberg 510 .410 with a 24" barrel but out grew it. He saw the Pointer at the gun store last week on sale for $460 and wanted it. A quick online search and I found one NIB for $100 cheaper. The gun is light and he could hold it up. Since we just sold his Mossberg I figured "why not?" and used the money from it to buy the Pointer. There was only a $15 price difference -in my favor.

Most are paying $500, so for $360 if it goes bang and we get 1500+ down the barrels and can hit clays I'll be happy. I'll keep ya'll updated if there are any issues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Don’t waste your time or your money. I own a pointer clays in 12 gauge and after about 2000 rounds it started having issues ejecting spent cases. Troubleshooting found the chambers separating from the barrel assembly. Still waiting on direction from Legacy on how to go forward with repairs, or replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:33 pm 
Utility Grade

No problem with ours so far shooting clays. My son's has about 600 rounds down it in the last few weeks.

Sorry to hear about barrel separation. Sheesh. I hope Legacy replaces that barrel for you ASAP.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:38 pm 
Utility Grade

BTW, I'm certainly no expert. We started doing trap to get some practice for this quail season. My son's is the Pointer, and I've been shooting a Mossberg 940 JM Pro tactical 3 gun competition gun ... and not doing too bad. My 4th time shooting clays and I got 18/30 on doubles. :w

Go ahead. Make fun. LOL