It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tristar Setter ST
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone know anything about the tristar setter ST?
I have been looking at them online, but I can't find much info on them.

Post subject: Re: Tristar Setter ST
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I own the hunter EX from walmart for $357. Only 250 rounds through it but no malfunctions and its a great entry level O/U. There is another thread on here where someone put roughly 3000 rounds through his. You cant go wrong with the 5 year warranty either. I personlly think they are worth the money if you are like me and enjoying shooting clays a couple of times a month.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:46 am 
Utility Grade

I purchased a Tristar Setter 410 at Sportsmans Warehouse for last dove season. It was very reasonably priced for such a great little gun. Most of the $500 imported 410s have aluminum receivers, 26" barrels, fixed chokes, and are not offered with a barrel selector. The Tristar has everything except auto-ejectors. I fell in love with it as soon as the salesman showed it to me. Only gun with a steel receiver was CZ. At almost $650 more in price! This particular gun has now fired more than 1,000 rounds, hunting and shooting clays. Never failed to fire!! Last month I purchased another 410 Tristar, for my wife to learn to shoot with. Have used this gun to shoot wobble trap at our gun club. Shot against shooters using browning 525s an 725s, perazzi tube guns. All 410 shotguns. I ended up high man with 18. I'am only an average shot, but was very lucky that day. Even made 5 second barrel hits!
I do not know if the other gauge Tristar Setters are as good as my 410s, but i'am sure they are. This year i'am planning for a 28ga. Tristar. Also have two 20ga. Tristar Raptor semi-autos. Unbelievably reasonable guns. $270 at Sportsmans last year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought one two or three years ago as a trial O/U. Generally it functioned fine, but there were a couple small issues.
1) it shipped with a lot of heavy lube in the internals - initially it didn't fire reliably or even cock reliably. Taking the stock off and cleaning that out thoroughly, then just a lit spritz of Remoil and it's been fine.

2) It actually doesn't hinge/break particularly well. I notice several of the guys I shoot with thumb the release lever and the gun practically falls open. Similarly several have developed a swinging motion to lock the action back up as they mount the gun. Neither of these are an option - it takes a concerted effort to break or lock the gun. It's fine it works, but it's a different rhythm.

3) Mine at least has full "ejectors." Break the gun and the shells are actually coming out in a hurry. Combine that with the stiff action, and you're still going to be picking up a few shells each round.

4) mine at least does not have the inertial reset that some of the fancier guns have. So when you cock it, both hammers are set. Depending on how everything fits together, that can result in doubling.

Done of these are really critical to my use, but after maybe 1000 shells I actually don't use it much - switched to a SA which works a little better with my rifle experience. But it's a solid and good looking loaner gun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:33 am 
Utility Grade

I have owned a Tristar Setter S/T for just under a year. I made the purchase as a way to introduce my daughter to trap shooting. After firing LESS than 800 rounds of Winchester AA Lite Target Loads (1145fps) the firing pin broke. After replacing the pin she fired it less than 1,200 rounds and the firing pin broke a second time. This time it caused a gouge to the shell extractor, chamber and damage to the receiver where the firing pin comes through. I sent the gun in for warranty repair and received the following statement on the repair ticket. "DAMAGE TO BOTTOM BBL IS NOT FULLY REPAIRABLE BUT SHOULD NOT AFFECT FUNCTION OR SAFETY RECOMMEND UPGRADING TO A TT-15 SPORTING MODEL DESIGHNED TO HANDLE THE HIGHER VOLUME OF SHOOTING". Yes, the spelling of "designed" is exactly as it was on the invoice. I don't recall seeing anything on the company website or in any of the literature that came with the firearm that said "DO NOT SHOOT MORE THAN 2,000 ROUNDS". What happens at 3,000 rounds, does the chamber come apart? I’m new to shotguns but I have two questions: 1) How can a shotgun be worn out after 2,000 low velocity rounds? 2) If it’s worn out how can it still be safe to shoot? Maybe I got a bad one. As of now I have a shotgun that’s only good for hanging above the mantel. I am only describing my experience with Tristar. Good luck to anyone who purchases a Tristar product.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 am 
Field Grade

Well , I purchased a setter in 20 for my daughter , she wanted a camoflauged shot gun so we found her a Rem 11-87 in 20

I took to the setter, been shootin informal clays, trap, skeet & doves with this little gun
& love it. Close to 3k rounds & the only real problem was the trigger guard rear attachment point broke (looked as if the cross pin was forced thru the MIM part & the hole was too small)

We reload all centerfire ammo at my place so it has been 3/4 ounce 1200 fps loads for clays & 1oz 1150 loads for dove.
The setter was very tite at fist , disassembled cleaned & lubed lightly with 0-20 syn motor oil , again after 500 rounds & parts were burnishing in well & a very smooth workin gun after 1k. I have 26" barrels & when levered (which is still right of center)will drop & recock both hammers cleanly.

My gun was purchased thru a dealer & looks to be a grade above what ya find in the big stores, the furniture while proud of the steel fits perfect , well almost.

I buy no o/u or sxs with an alloy receiver & this is probably the root of many failures /dissatisfaction with many of todays firearms not just imports.

GP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 pm 
Field Grade

To my best count 3,125 rounds 85% thru the top barrel at trap.
Top firing pin broke .

Just got thru with all my loads with RIO 616 primers ,are WW or another brand softer on pins???

Easy enuff to change out, pop the furniture & 1 pin to drift.

GP