It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dickinson SxS Misfires ?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:58 am 
Diamond Grade

Any one else having "Failure To Fire" problems with a Dickinson SxS? (Light primer hits.)

Federal shotshells seem to have the primer seated just a tad deeper than normal, and seem to cause more of these FTF's. But I also experience this problem with other brands, and with reloads.

Anyone else having FTF problems?

I know Dickinson has a lifetime warranty; and I may send the shotgun for repair...

gold40

Post subject: Re: Dickinson SxS Misfires ?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

I have the S&W Elite Gold (the daddy of the Dickinson) in 20 gauge and have never had any issues with my reloads (Fiocchi primers) or Remington Gun Clubs (factory)
Have you looked to see if maybe some pierced primers have cause a little erosion to the pins? That was an issue with some ammo types in Browning lower barrels.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:44 pm 
Field Grade

Happy to say "none" in my Dickinson SXS 20 ga (about 1.5 years old), with 100s of rounds through it -- including many Federal loads too.

Hope you get it fixed OK.

Old No7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have two Dickinsons - a 20 gauge and a 28 gauge. Neither have given me any kind of problems and they are not the least bit picky about the shells I use.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

This weekend I shot a box of factory Winchester AA's in my 12 gauge Dickinson with no misfires.

Also shot two boxes of AA reloads using Winchester primers, and had one misfire out of 50 rounds (2%).

My AA reloads with Nobel primers result in 10% to 20% "Fail-To- Fires."

gold40

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:34 am 
Utility Grade

100 rounds of federal NIB 12 G yesterday with one primer misfire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

I continued to have misfires (light primer hits), although much fewer with Winchester AA's.

I sent it in to the Dickinson warranty station in Oregon for repair.

gold40

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:57 am 
Field Grade

gold40 wrote:
I sent it in to the Dickinson warranty station in Oregon for repair.
gold40

Good luck with that -- it will be interesting (for us too) if they tell you what they found & fixed. Please update us once you know, thanks.

Old No7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:39 pm 
Limited Edition

I've got a Gold Elite (20) and a Dickinson (.410) and have not had any FTFs with either. I have put 3,093 rounds through the .410 to date. Though I haven't keep an accurate record for it, I probably have about that many rounds through the Gold Elite too. Mostly AA factory and reloads (various primers) with some Golden Pheasant through the Gold Elite.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

I received my 12 gauge Dickinson back from the Oregon warranty center (about 4 weeks). Problem appears to be resolved, but I'm not sure what they actually did.

On the phone, they said the firing pin was long enough, but the left hammer was dragging on an internal part. They also said they adjusted the headspace -- I have no idea how one does so on a SxS?

I shot one round of sporting clays over the weekend, and it now functions O.K. I'll report back after I shoot it more....

gold40

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Dickinson is working well....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:03 am 
Crown Grade

gold40 wrote:
The Dickinson is working well....

In the words of The Duke (kinda), "That'll do, pilgrim".

On the headspace issue, Both my S&W Elite Gold 20 ga and my 16 ga Dickinson have headspace so tight that I can't use reloads shot in another gun. The rims on the reloads prevent the gun from locking up tight enough to get reliable firing. The fix for tight headspace is to run a chamber reamer in until it will accept the gauge properly. I recognize the issue on my two AKUS guns, but just deal with it by shooting factory loads and keep those hulls separate for reloading clay target loads. Seems to be a common issue with AKUS SXS's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

FWIW, no problems here thus far with either 20 or 28 gauge barrels in a two-barrel set Dickinson.

Curtis

Bullit (12/26/14 - 2/26/16) - Gone but never forgotten
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=418281

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:57 pm 
Limited Edition

Riflemeister wrote:

On the headspace issue, Both my S&W Elite Gold 20 ga and my 16 ga Dickinson have headspace so tight that I can't use reloads shot in another gun. The rims on the reloads prevent the gun from locking up tight enough to get reliable firing. The fix for tight headspace is to run a chamber reamer in until it will accept the gauge properly. I recognize the issue on my two AKUS guns, but just deal with it by shooting factory loads and keep those hulls separate for reloading clay target loads. Seems to be a common issue with AKUS SXS's.

I haven't run into any issues with my Gold Elite with AA hulls that have been shot in any of the other 20 gauges in the house... those include a Citori, a CZ Bobwhite and a Remington 870. I reload with a MEC Sizemaster. I wonder if that collet sizer makes any difference?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

GrizG wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

I haven't run into any issues with my Gold Elite with AA hulls that have been shot in any of the other 20 gauges in the house... those include a Citori, a CZ Bobwhite and a Remington 870. I reload with a MEC Sizemaster. I wonder if that collet sizer makes any difference?

Probably not, it happens with both my Sizemaster and MEC 9000.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Dutchess County, NY - the northern most county of Alabama
My 20 gauge Dickinson has had about a case & 1/2 of Rio shells through it without any issues. I don't reload 20 gauge and so can't comment on tight headspace with reloads. Good to know that there is some factory support available on these guns even if mine was one of the first Cabela's guns that were sold all as "used" and therefore no OEM warranty. Gun doesn't get used much since it needs to be bend to fit my LH'ed body and at present beats me up and so really needs to be bend soon.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Since my Dickinson returned from the warranty station, it has performed well. I've hunted it 20+ days and shot several rounds of Sporting Clays -- with zero problems. Kudo's to the importer for standing behind their product.