It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weatherby SA-08 vs Tristar Viper G2 Bronze 12 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Guys,

Looking to add a budget gas-operated 12 gauge to the safe ($600 - 800 range), and I think I've got it narrowed down to either a Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe or a Tristar Viper G2 Bronze. I've got several nicer doubles (Citoris, AH Foxes, Guerinis, and the like), so looking for something to just go out and kick around. Primary use will be recreational clays (box or so every other week), sporting clays with the guys once a month, and then a couple pheasant or duck hunts / several dove hunts per year. In all likelihood, probably 1000 - 2000 rds per year. Mostly will be fed reloads (Winchester AA hulls, 1oz lead at about 1100 fps), with 100-200 rounds of Fiocchi Golden Pheasants or equivalent making up the remainder.

All things being equal, I'm intrigued by the Weatherby's dual piston approach, and on the Tristar side, it seems like the wood is super nice, and the polish/finish is commensurate with a much more expensive firearm. My dad was a furniture maker by trade, so I freely admit that the nicer grained wood does have a draw for me.

I'm going to the LGS next week to check both out side by side to see how they shoulder/point/feel, but based on my Google searches and such, both guns seem to be well regarded (for what they are) and reliable. Any thoughts/feedback one way or another would be much appreciated.

Jamey

Post subject: Re: Weatherby SA-08 vs Tristar Viper G2 Bronze 12 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:07 am 
Tournament Grade

Since I own one in 12ga, I'll vote for the SA-08.
I've had it a couple of years and there has only been about 750 rounds through it. But it has been trouble free. It's light but shoots softly.
I have read lots of reports about guys being able to shoot 1oz @ 1180fps through their guns right out of the box. But mine wouldn't run them until I had a few hundred faster rounds down the tube. And it's still not quite 100% on ejecting the 1oz @ 1180fps loads. So I don't think mine would ever run the slower 1oz loads you're talking about running.
I like the dual pistons. I use the light for target loads and heavy for everything else. And since I give the gun a once-over before heading out, I just make sure it has the correct piston for what ever load I'll be shooting that day.

I have zero experience with the Vipers. But I don't recall reading anything bad about them.
I have read they tend to have pretty nice wood on them, as you mentioned.

Since you'll be able to fondle both of them at the same time, you'll know which one feels better to you. If they feel the same, you'll just have to scratch your chin and decide on one.

Good luck with your choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I can't speak for the the SA-08 but I have a Viper G2 SR Sport with over 3000 rds thru it and had my first failure to feed with it this week only because I hadn't cleaned it in over 1500 rds just to see how far it would go. Did a good cleaning and put another 200 rds thru it with no problems. It is one of my favorite shotguns out of the over 20 that I have. Like it so much I'm going to order another G2 in 28 gauge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

worrellj wrote:
Guys,

Looking to add a budget gas-operated 12 gauge to the safe ($600 - 800 range), and I think I've got it narrowed down to either a Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe or a Tristar Viper G2 Bronze.

I can give you a vote for the Weatherby, which is not a vote against the Tristar.

I've not reviewed a Tristar, however, ATA guns are generally better made than Armsan.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:40 am 
Utility Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

I can give you a vote for the Weatherby, which is not a vote against the Tristar.

I've not reviewed a Tristar, however, ATA guns are generally better made than Armsan.

Randy, was hoping you'd opine on this. I've read your reviews of the Weatherby. Thanks!

Going to try to make some time tomorrow to drive to not-so-local gun store (2 hours one way) that has both of these in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Went to the LGS this morning and they had ordered me a Weatherby SA-08, Viper G2 Bronze and Viper G2 Sporting (wood stock, not the red receiver/synthetic stock model). Shouldered them all, and liked them all. Just couldn't get past the awesome furniture on the Viper G2 Sporting, and it followed me home. I'll be using it almost exclusively for recreational clays/sporting clays, and sparingly for pheasant/dove. Should have it cleaned up and out to the range in a couple of days for break-in and patterning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:57 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Viper G2 sporting, wood model. Love the looks and it fits me like a glove. Wish I could say it has been problem free, but alas, no. Wouldn't cycle anything less than 1&1/4 ounce shells when I received it. 200+ shells later it would occasionally cycle 1&1/8 ounce, but not reliably. Back to Tristar, they replaced the piston. Works pretty much OK now, but is very unreliable with anything less than 1200 fps loads. If it ain't broken in by now it's not gonna get there. Adjustable comb is a pain as well. Have to carry the allen wrench when shooting as it will loosen at least twice in a round, and that is with it un-raised or offset.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Shot the Viper G2 Sporting today...about 70 of my home rolled pheasant loads (1 1/4 oz #5s ahead of healthy dose of Blue Dot, running about 1400fps) and 100 clays/dove home rolled loads (1 oz #8 ahead of Green Dot, about 1100 fps). Everything cycled great, and no feed issues.

I did notice that the adjustable comb wanted to loosen up a little bit at the end (had brought my allen wrench just in case) and that the aluminum knob on the bolt wanted to come loose (unscrew) from time to time (think I'll put some Loctite on it, and order an extra from Tristar just in case). All in all, very pleased with the shotgun.

It shoots a lot softer than my doubles (older Citori Field, Guerini Tempio and Fox Model B), and I think I'm going to enjoy it.