It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting a Dickinson Estate soon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:04 pm 
Utility Grade

I have never owned a shotgun, but a buddy of mine is willing to teach me how to hunt Quail and Pheasant. So after about a month of researching what to get (side-by-side vs. over and under vs. auto-loader, side-lock vs. box lock, 20 ga. vs. 28 ga.), I ordered a Dickenson Estate from Cabela's in 20 ga. My first choice would have been the Savage Fox A Grade, but the $4599 price tag put me off. I'm hoping the Dickinson will be a good choice at $1599.

Post subject: Re: Getting a Dickinson Estate soon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Cooled-air wrote:
I have never owned a shotgun, but a buddy of mine is willing to teach me how to hunt Quail and Pheasant. So after about a month of researching what to get (side-by-side vs. over and under vs. auto-loader, side-lock vs. box lock, 20 ga. vs. 28 ga.), I ordered a Dickenson Estate from Cabela's in 20 ga. My first choice would have been the Savage Fox A Grade, but the $4599 price tag put me off. I'm hoping the Dickinson will be a good choice at $1599.

I have two Dickinsons, both from Cabela's, a 20 gauge and a 28 gauge. I love them both.

Top is the 20 ga, bottom 28 ga. I was going to post more pictures, but photobucket keeps hanging up and images may not even display due to their new policy on photo sharing.

The Dickinsons are definitely a good choice and are very nice shotguns, especially for the money.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I picked up the gun today. Seems very solid and finely made.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congratulations on your new gun. I am waiting for my first Dickenson, a 16 gauge from their custom shop. I think I have another 2 months to wait though.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 am 
Utility Grade

rkittine wrote:
Congratulations on your new gun. I am waiting for my first Dickenson, a 16 gauge from their custom shop. I think I have another 2 months to wait though.

Bob

Side-by-Side?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:07 am 
Field Grade

I have a Dickinson 20, I love that gun, took it chucker hunting last week, love the way it handles, your going to love it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, Side By Side. I wanted a single trigger and screw in chokes and this was one of the options. Have had it on order for 3 months, they said 5 and some have gotten them earlier and some later. My understanding is that you get at least two upgrades in wood by ordering through the custom shop and worked triggers. Will just have to see. I usually like Pistol Grip stocks on my SxSs but got the English stock on this one so it will be a more classic 16.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Here's a pic of the new gun:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Very nice - I know that the dual triggers is more classic and has some advantage, but I always forget to move my finger (or pump when playing with pump guns) so I now have all single trigger guns.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:56 am 
Crown Grade

rkittine wrote:
Very nice - I know that the dual triggers is more classic and has some advantage, but I always forget to move my finger (or pump when playing with pump guns) so I now have all single trigger guns.

Me too. I even went so far as to keep a double trigger CZ Bobwhite 16 ga that I can haul out and shoot if I read too many posts about the superiority of the double triggers for bird hunting. I hunt over pointing dogs and the vast majority of the shots lend themselves to the more open choke first and then the tighter choke if I mess up the first shot. My biggest objection to the double trigger though, is the infamous trigger guard abuse on the second finger of your trigger hand.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I guess since I'm starting out never having hunted with a shotgun before, I have not gotten used to a single trigger. Maybe the two-trigger will not be so bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've been pleased with my Dickinson 12 gauge.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Cooled-air wrote:
Well, I guess since I'm starting out never having hunted with a shotgun before, I have not gotten used to a single trigger. Maybe the two-trigger will not be so bad.

If you will shoot the double triggers exclusively for a bit you will not have any trouble getting used to the best choke selector ever made. They really become intuitive to use after a while. The problem seems to me to be that people keep switching back to a single trigger and don't give themselves enough familiarization time with double triggers. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 am 
Limited Edition

Rkittine: You have always been better with delayed gratification than I am

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know that the double triggers have that advantage I.E. Choke Selection, but I only own 5 SxSs and they are for fun days on the Skeet Range. If it is cold and I wear gloves, I have the added problem of fitting inside the trigger guard with the dual triggers. Since I have Sk/SK in all 5 of the SxSs, not an issue for me. I also have 5 pumps (12,16,20,28 & .410) also for the occasional "Pump Day" at the club, but at least my shooting buddies yell out "PUMP!" on doubleds.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oyeme wrote:
Cooled-air wrote:

If you will shoot the double triggers exclusively for a bit you will not have any trouble getting used to the best choke selector ever made. They really become intuitive to use after a while. The problem seems to me to be that people keep switching back to a single trigger and don't give themselves enough familiarization time with double triggers. Good luck!

This. It took me about 1 box of shells to be completely comfortable with double triggers, and after a weekend, switching back and forth was no problem. Now I comfortably switch between my 3 double trigger guns (2 Dickinsons and an Uggie) and my 2 single trigger O/Us (Red Label 28ga and Superposed 20ga). Now my daily gun selection just depends on my mood. The issue now is when I want to shoot one of my Ithaca 37s. :D

Gig 'Em Aggies!

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Double post

Gig 'Em Aggies!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:30 am 
Field Grade

I've got a 20 ga Estate as well. Good luck with yours!

If yours has "extra-strong" ejectors, like mine did, you can search on this forum for my posting about "Southgate Ejectors" and how you can reduce their force.

I modified my ejectors -- which used to throw the empties 12' to 15' back -- to only give them a slight toss, and now they're easy to catch in my hand.

An added benefit is the gun is SO much easier to break open after firing when that's done.

Old No7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:21 pm 
Utility Grade

So far, the stock ejectors have not bothered me. They do throw them out with considerable force! I took the Dickinson quail hunting last weekend and was very please with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

My condolences on your new affliction!. SxS's are an expensive taste to acquire.

I have owned a 20ga Dickinson for 4 or 5 years now. It's a very nice field gun, easy to carry and quick to handle. I love the thing a lot.

You too will be able to post photos like this