It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weatherby Orion I
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:24 pm 
Field Grade

I'm seriously considering the Weatherby Orion I. 12 gauge, 28" barrels, made by ATA and imported by Weatherby.

I read an interview with a Weatherby executive on this gun, and he stressed that the design is by Weatherby, the manufacturing quality control must meet Weatherby standards, and that Weatherby stands behind it with their excellent customer service.

$759 (with rebate) right now at Bud's Gun Shop.

I read and watched Randy Wakeman's review of this gun. For the money, he was impressed, although he makes it clear that it doesn't have the wonderful handling characteristics of a $2000 Beretta.

I don't have much need for a 12 gauge, but I do have some need. It's not like I'm gonna shoot it thousands of times per year. So I'm considering this gun.

Anybody have one?

Post subject: Re: Weatherby Orion I
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don't have one, but I've seen pics and read reviews and it sounds like a good gun for the money. I would prefer a different grip on the stock. Don't care much for the rounded POW type grip. Also, if clay targets were my main reason for buying, I'd prefer 30" barrels.

That said, if general all-around usage is the goal, this looks like a good deal at under $1,000 and a super deal at only $759 (with rebate).

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:01 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Well, it isn't a Weatherby design, it is the ATA-SP.

For 2018, it comes in a 30 inch sporting model as well.

http://www.weatherby.com/products/shotguns/over-under/orion-sporting.html

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:

Ah HA! I figured it was only a matter of time before the sporting model came out. With 30" barrels, a pistol grip, gloss finished stock, deep blue finish steel, chrome lined bores, and an adjustable comb, this sounds like a raging steal at about $1,000 street price!

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to mention that the gun also includes FIVE extended choke tubes which might cost $200 or more if you purchased them aftermarket.

This really sounds like a great deal!

Last edited by Ulysses on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:12 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

OK, sorry for the misinformation. I don't doubt you, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that it is a Weatherby design. Anyway, thanks for the correction.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BuckshotBilly wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

OK, sorry for the misinformation. I don't doubt you, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that it is a Weatherby design. Anyway, thanks for the correction.

What Weatherby typically does is to take an existing design and then specify certain modifications (mostly cosmetic) to it before putting the Weatherby name on it. Usually this will include a higher grade of wood, a gloss finish on the wood, a deep blue finish on the barrels and sometimes a nickel-chrome finish on the receiver. They may even specify minor changes in the stock dimensions and the recoil pad. It's still the same basic working parts, but it looks different (and usually better) with the Weatherby changes.

I edited my post above because I forgot about the FIVE EXTENDED chokes that are included in this sporting gun deal. Sounds like a great deal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:44 am 
Diamond Grade

My brother's been chomping at the bit to get his hands on the new sporting model since it first hit the rumor mill. He's in the middle of a move right now so getting one may get pushed to a back burner but as soon as he gets one, I'll post my $0.02.
:D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:59 am 
Field Grade

I like the Orion at lot for $759. But I keep going back and forth between it and a used Citori. I had a 12 gauge Citori Satin Hunter a few years ago and that was one of the few shotguns I've actually shot well. Another one that "I wish I hadn't sold".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:26 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

Well, I just happened to run across the article which seems to claim that Weatherby designed the Orion I. Below is a link to the article, and a quote from the article. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that the article seems to claim that Weatherby designed the gun.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/19/shoot ... and-under/

“Turkey now reminds me of what Italy was in the early years with a lot of manufacturers,” said Dean Rumbaugh, Weatherby’s historian.

Although some might have concerns about Turkish guns, Rumbaugh assures the Orion still has to meet Weatherby standards and the company designed the gun. “If Weatherby’s name is on it, it will be a quality product.”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:18 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://www.cfysilah.com/en/sp.php

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:39 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
http://www.cfysilah.com/en/sp.php

Well, their guns certainly look just like the Orion I.

I'm sure you're right, but since a published article seems to claim that Weatherby's historian said the gun was designed by Weatherby (hearsay, I know), I was curious what Weatherby would say if asked, so I emailed them. I also asked them about the stock cast, since I've read conflicting claims (one claim said the stock is neutral cast, and another said it is cast for a righty).

Did you notice any cast in the stock?

And how did the DAC (supposedly 1 + 5/8") and DAH (supposedly 2 + 3/8") feel to you? I'm a tall, lanky guy with a long neck and thin face, and I like a "heads up" shooting style. The DAC seems perfect for me, but I like more DAH than 2 + 3/8". I generally like at least 2.5".

I'm leaning toward a used Citori, but a Weatherby-backed O/U for $759 is hard to pass on, especially since I'd shoot less than 300 shots per year out of it. I have very little need for 12 gauge.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:41 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

No, I didn't notice any cast.

My version of a comfortable, "heads-up" shooting type of gun is the Fabarm XLR5 Waterfowler. If you've shot one of those, you'll know what I mean. The old, classic "Automatic-Five" with its dog-leg stock also promotes a heads-up shooting style.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

I emailed Weatherby 3 weeks ago and asked if the Orion I is a Weatherby design. I received the following reply today, seemingly written by a future politician:

Thank you for contacting Weatherby. The Orion is a fine shotgun that incorporates Weatherby designs and demands for quality.

Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BuckshotBilly wrote:
I emailed Weatherby 3 weeks ago and asked if the Orion I is a Weatherby design. I received the following reply today, seemingly written by a future politician:

Thank you for contacting Weatherby. The Orion is a fine shotgun that incorporates Weatherby designs and demands for quality.

Regards,

Technically, Weatherby doesn't "design" shotguns. However, they do contract with certain firearm manufacturers to make shotguns for them that have certain Weatherby specified features. These features could have to do with things like stock dimensions, stock engraving, stock finishes, grade of wood, metal engraving, metal finishes, choke tube system, and so on.

Typically, Weatherby will chose a company that already makes a shotgun that meets their basic needs as to action type and operating features, and then they specify what changes they want made and the quality standards they must meet before putting the Weatherby name on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

As a side note, I find it interesting that the new Weatherby Orions are shipping with an instruction manual that says "Weatherby Athena and Orion Shotguns" on the cover. My guess is we might see Athena shotguns re-introduced in the near future. Hopefully at SHOT, but I have no idea. Just making an observation.