It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weatherby Element
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:29 am 
Field Grade

Can anyone tell me the good and bad of the weatherby element possibly looking at getting 20 gauge.

Post subject: Re: Weatherby Element
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I always turn to Randy Wakeman's reviews especially when he is evaluating semi autos which are his specialty. Here is a review of the 12 gauge Weatherby Element.

http://www.randywakeman.com/WeatherbyEl ... oader.html
"The Weatherby Element 12 gauge is one of those rare offerings that combines excellent function, excellent machining and assembly, along with a very appealingly low price tag."

Here is his review of the 20 gauge version in wood.

http://www.randywakeman.com/ReviewWeatherbyElement.htm
"As to the appeal of this gun, it would be for those who want to save a few dollars vs. the Benelli Montefeltro and enjoy some dramatically upgraded wood in the process. For those on a budget, though, the better choice is the Weatherby SA-08 walnut that currently sells for $650 and is both lighter and more pleasant to shoot."

A friend bought the gas operated SA-08 12 gauge based on my recommendation and it has functioned flawlessly with very little maintenance. You might also want to check out the Mossberg SA-20.

http://www.randywakeman.com/WhytheMossb ... heBest.htm
Randy Wakeman ranks the Mossberg SA 20 as the best 20 gauge semi auto today. He should know.

"A 6-1/4 pound 20 gauge is just ideal for wild pheasant chasing and the more you walk, the more you'll appreciate not having a 7 – 7-1/4 lb. shotgun with you. By the end of the day, you'll be extremely thankful. I can't remember the last time a “best value” firearm turned out to be the best on the market in current production, perhaps never: but with the Mossberg SA-20 it is one of those very rare times. The Mossberg SA-20 blued/walnut is the wingshooter's screaming deal of 2017."

Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Weatherby Element
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:17 pm 
Field Grade

I've had a 12g Element deluxe for about 8 months now, with about 5000 rounds through it. Overall I'm very fond of it. it's been completely reliable with all sorts of $5/box target loads. Literally 2 or 3 out of 5000 rounds that didn't cycle correctly.

Really the only complaint I have is with the trigger group - the trigger on the heavy side, and the safety is really small - hard to get at even with just light gloves on.

The deluxe is very sharp, nicely assembled, and comes with stock shims to adjust drop. The curved butt pad Randy mentions in his review is annoying - I'd like to take about 3/4" off the stock, but it's going to be a fair amount of work to straighten it out. If you're good with the stock LOP, that goes away - the factory pad is pretty good as pads go. I also added some weight to the stock to shift the balance back a bit, but YMMV.

I'm actually considering acquiring another in 20g.