It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Emperor Shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Local shop has a couple Emperor brand pump shotguns as well as the semi autos. I was considering the pistol grip pump version for HD and turkey hunting since it has choke tubes. Does anyone have experience with these guns and their quality/durability? What choke system does it use (rem choke, beretta mobile, etc seem to be the most popular)?

Post subject: Re: Emperor Shotguns
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't have any experience of Emperor shotguns, but I do wonder a bit about going with a more or less unknown (especially in the HD application) as opposed to something well established - a Mossberg/Maverick, Stevens, or an 870 Express. The Mavericks and Stevens are routinely ~200 or less, and the 870 or 500 aren't a lot more.

For a loaner gun for backyard trap or something, it doesn't much matter. But if it really matters if it goes bang, the mainstream choices are hard to beat.

Post subject: Re: Emperor Shotguns
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Win50 wrote:
I don't have any experience of Emperor shotguns, but I do wonder a bit about going with a more or less unknown (especially in the HD application) as opposed to something well established - a Mossberg/Maverick, Stevens, or an 870 Express. The Mavericks and Stevens are routinely ~200 or less, and the 870 or 500 aren't a lot more.

For a loaner gun for backyard trap or something, it doesn't much matter. But if it really matters if it goes bang, the mainstream choices are hard to beat.

I agree. I never got by to check these out first hand but I did trade into an Ithaca 37 Featherlight Deerslayer with 20" smoothbore barrel so it is pulling HD duty. Hard to beat the Maverick for $180 and not worth the risk on an unknown Turkish gun.