It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3/4 oz Vectan/Rio Hull target load?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^^^^^^

Did you get a chance to shoot and chrono these?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

tdxm wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^

NO!!! (and I can't WAIT to!). It's been raining pretty regularly in South Seattle.

I hope to find a clearing this weekend (tomorrow). I'm curious to see just how bad (or usable) the performance might be. As you might already know, 3/4 ounce 12-gauge loads typically suffer from higher than the classical go/no-go EV/SD's of 35/11. So the question will be whether the EV will be under 100 fps, or somewhere in the 60-70 fps range.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:23 pm 

Republican wrote:
tdxm wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^

NO!!! (and I can't WAIT to!). It's been raining pretty regularly in South Seattle.

I hope to find a clearing this weekend (tomorrow). I'm curious to see just how bad (or usable) the performance might be. As you might already know, 3/4 ounce 12-gauge loads typically suffer from higher than the classical go/no-go EV/SD's of 35/11. So the question will be whether the EV will be under 100 fps, or somewhere in the 60-70 fps range.

As I remember those recipes that I gave you the test data on were not as bad as that. Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Did you check to make sure that you are dropping a full 3/4 oz of shot. Don't know if you are using a MEC, but none of mine drop what they claim. It will make a difference.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Curly-Nohair wrote:
As I remember those recipes that I gave you the test data on were not as bad as that. Am I wrong?

If I recall, that data you showed me was for a Federal 209A primer.

I just went back and checked my notes and found this :

3/4 oz in a straight-wall hull with very respectable EV/SD figures.
But that's faster than I like.

But with slower velocities with A24 in Taper hulls, the EV/SD seems to go up :

But I did find this in my archives from 3 years ago :

So I was incorrect in saying that it's typical to have high EV's/SD's with 3/4 ounce 12 gauge loads.
The above load proves that.

Maybe I was thinking of the good-ole days when we were all trying to make 3/4 ounce 12-gauge loads with Clays (and Red dot) and such (and before ExtraLite came out).

In any event, I don't have much confidence in getting stellar performance with the CB-0175 :

Which is too bad too, because the CB-0175 really does provide the correct stack height.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, received my order from Grafs. What a great deal that 10 bottles and free Hazmat! Loaded up a variety of straight walled hulls, 19 gr A24, NS 209, DRXXL Orange, 3/4 oz #8.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above all shot rather nicely. Alas, I'm not equipped with any chrono gear....

Has it stopped raining in Seattle yet Steve? :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Actually I am mixing up my threads.....the "Prima V First Time" thread you had some 3/4 oz, A24, and DRXXL Orange shells loaded up, those are the ones I'm checking in on to see if you chrono-ed those..

...too many threads to keep track of...

Todd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:39 pm 
Utility Grade

number1wrench wrote:
Rio has a PDF of load data for their hulls but doesn't include any Noblesport powder data. BPI has Vectan PDF if you go to website to Vectan powder, select a Vectan powder and gives link to PDF. Very little Rio data. For 12ga.load data Vectan, online ballisticproducts load of week has loads listed. From what I find Vectan powder in RIO hull data very limited.

First, let me apologize for bumping a one year old thread. BUT, I felt my question too similar to start a new topic so here goes. Also, I realize this is 3/4oz thread, but I'm looking at 7/8oz loads. Mods feel free to move this if I'm mucking up a thread.

I'm simply asking a hypothetical from the more experienced folk here... this would be sort of a back up load if I ever ran out of Remington GC's to load and wanted to play around with my stash of Federal/Rio lookalikes. Here is my understanding and then ultimately, my question:

- Federal Field and Target hulls are basically contracted/made by Rio, meaning Rio/Euro sized primers and can use Rio data. That, and Federal Gold Medal data.

SO, if I were to substitute Prima SV in place of Clays, and assuming a had a decent stack height and the right wad (EDIT: was thinking the 12SO or claybusters equivalent), would that be an advisable thing to do, or am I crazy? Am I making too many assumptions here?
Again, I'm looking at 7/8oz loads.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

There are several threads about 7/8oz loads using Vectan and Rem GC hulls. It's all been worked out and tested, you can absolutely find a load for that.

Also, there is a thread about Rio hulls and Vectan powders-- that is EXACTLY what Republican loads. You don't have to wonder or guesstimate at all, everything you need to know to load tested loads in that combo is posted.

Just go back for the last 2 months and look for posts on Vectan, or maybe called "7/8oz loads" , and author Republican and you'll find the threads and info you need.

I wouldn't interpolate from Clays powders... first, I am sure there are loads tested by Republican for Rio hulls (and the Fed F&T hulls are Rio as you mention). He has a thread somewhere on the best 7/8oz shell possible, think he likes the super-spark or similar wad. However, he uses that neon green one now mostly, and likes the CB version for cost. Anyways, look at the Vectan cheddite data, then realize that the Rio hulls are slightly larger than Cheddite and swapping hulls to Rio would be generally conservative in pressure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=430166

viewtopic.php?f=248&t=441605

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=458019&p=3770939#p3770939

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=457945

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the links, Dave. I'm still digesting, but seems as though most are using A24 powder as opposed to the Prima V/SV line. Either way, appreciate the guidance.