ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fiocchi hulls + w209 primers = no good
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Recently got a semi auto as a spare gun for my non-gun owning family and friends to shoot occasionally. I reload, normally AA or Gun Clubs for my O/U, but don't want to bother my niece about chasing hulls. I figured a throwaway shell is what I need.

I dumpster dived for some once fired fiocchi hulls that I could just once without asking my niece to worry about saving them. Found a good 1250fps recipe and used cb6100 wads for 1oz loads with w209 primers . All seemed fine. They did not seem like they were loose.

But, when I fired them in the semi auto, the primers blew out of the back of the hull. After several shots, the bolt jammed up on the gun and wouldn't open. I found two primers crushed and stuck in the back of the loading port of the gun.

After cleaning it out I tried another few shots. It happened again. This time, the bolt jammed in the open position. I removed the trigger assy and found a primer jammed in there as well another behind the bolt.

I stopped at that point.

I had heard mixed messages about whether or not w209 primers would work in fiocchi hulls. No I know.

For an o/u it would been perfectly fine. But not for a semi auto.

Browning Citori 725 Sporting
Tristar Viper G2 Sporting
Tristar Sporting O/U (aka Turkish Junk)
MEC 9000 to reload

Post subject: Re: Fiocchi hulls + w209 primers = no good
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Those mixed messages are a disservice. Fiocchi primers are larger than Winchesters. When it becomes a problem, it's a real problem that could/should have been avoided.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:44 am 
Presentation Grade

As you’ve already discovered the flocchi primer is larger than the Winchester, therefore leaving the Winchesters loose in the hull when you reload. There are a few tools out there for reconditioning the primer pockets that should solve the problem.

If you’re reloading on a Mec machine there is an aftermarket depriving punch that will do it all for you made by Creative Loading Solutions. They work as advertised on most hulls.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

icyclefar wrote:
If you’re reloading on a Mec machine there is an aftermarket depriving punch that will do it all for you made by Creative Loading Solutions. They work as advertised on most hulls.

I do reload with a MEC and I do have the Ultimate Primer Punch installed on it. So.. it does recondition the primer pocket.

Maybe the issue is that the hole is simply larger on the fiocchi hulls and we can't reshape material that doesn't exist.

Maybe if it where a winchester hull, that I put a fiocchi primer in, the punch would allow me to go back to a w209. but starting with a fiocchi hull doesn't work... for me in this case

wildflights wrote:
Those mixed messages are a disservice. Fiocchi primers are larger than Winchesters. When it becomes a problem, it's a real problem that could/should have been avoided.

I think I would not have had gun problems if I were shooting my o/u. The breach face would have held the primer in place and I might not have ever known how loose they were since I was tossing the hulls.

I gave it a try for a one and done situation and I learned something and didn't really damage my gun. I hope me posting this helps someone else understand the risks of reloaded Fiocchi hulls and w209 primers in in a semi auto.

Only fiocchi primers in fiocchi hulls from now on.

MEC 9000 to reload

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

or get you some Winchester universal hulls and load them to be launched.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

fiver wrote:
or get you some Winchester universal hulls and load them to be launched.

If I could find some low cost target shells I’d definitely take that route. But right now none are available anywhere, which is why I tried to reload the fiocchi’s.

I live in Los Angeles, so I can’t get universal’s at Walmart here. Six months ago I was able to find federal top guns or super targets for $7 a box.

Assuming ammo supply gets back to normal, I’ll load up on a few flats for the semi auto and stick to reloading my AA’s and gun clubs for use in the o/u that I shoot 98% of the time

MEC 9000 to reload

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:17 pm 
Crown Grade

I find an over abundance of the cheap Federal once fired hulls fond at Wally World and other fine sporting goods stores ( :lol: ) at almost every range I shoot at here in Mormon Mecca. I would assume the same to be true just about everywhere. I load them one & done for use in my SA at SC ranges. I load 1 oz under Vectan powder and use the CB 12S0 wads. I have absolutely no problems with primers backing out. I've tried Fiocchi, Cheddite, Rio, and Challenger hulls, but none work to well; the cheap Federals always work just fine for one & done.

Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you you buy the Primer Pocket Tool from Precision Reloading, you can resize any primer pocket of any hull to hold any primer.....TIGHT.

There is no way that the Creative Solutions die can resize a primer pocket as well as the tool above will. The reason being is it takes more force to actually resize a shotshell primer pocket than you SHOULD apply to a MEC press.

The Creative Solutions die is cute, fancy and may solve a few problems that don't exist.

Actually resizing primer pockets isn't something it does well if, at all.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
Primer Pocket Tool from Precision Reloading
Could you be a little more specific, like provide a link? There are 54 tools listed. :D

Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Of course.....here it is.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart ... =MM&i=1816

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Mark,

Is there any substantial difference in the Precision, or BPI, tools?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:57 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:

Ah so - I googled 'Primer Pocket Tool from Precision Reloading' and what I should have googled was 'Primer Pocket Correction Tool from Precision Reloading.' :wink: {hs#

Retired