ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 gauge load for Federal or Winchester HS using 209A primer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:03 am 
Utility Grade

New to the forum and to reloading. I really appreciate all the info that I have been reading in old threads and sticky's over the last month or two and have learned a bunch.

I have been shooting factory ammo in my new 20 gauge cz bob white side by side, but the well is running close to dry so I am looking for some reload recipe's using the component's I have on hand and stick to proven/tested loads.

I was unable to find an instock lyman's 5th manual so at the moment I'm kind of stuck looking at my powder manufacturers data/loads which there isn't a lot published on Hogdon's site using the federal 209A primers.

Since I'm pretty detail oriented I have picked up as many different hulls at my range as I could find, I then cut one of each type in half then also cross sectioned one to see how my wads fit.

I currently have about 250 of the newer style Winchester 20gauge hulls with the newer style HS plastic basewad that seems to fit the tapered Clay buster wads nicely.

I also have about 250 federal Hulls.

Hodgon site only lists one one load that will work with the federal Hull which is:
209A primer/ 15.0 grains of IMR green/WAA 20 ( im using the cb 1078-20 wad clone) yielding 11,000 psi and 1200 Ft/s

I'm fine with the 7/8 shot and 1200 velocity, but when I slide the CB 1078-20 wad into the federal hull it seems to have a fairly loose fit in my beginner opinion being a more tapered wad in a straight hull. I am worried I'm going to have powder migration but possibly I am over thinking it.

Yet I do not see loads for 7/8 lead with IMR Green or IMR Blue and the 209A primer for the Winchester hull which the CB 1078-20 seems to fit just as good as a factory wad into the same hull.

Supplies I have on hand
Federal 209A primers
IMR Blue and IMR Green
CB-1078-20 winchester WAA20 clones

Does anyone have a published load using the hotter 209A primer in a winchester hull using IMR Blue of Green and the CB-1078 wad?

Thanks in advance, also if anyone has a lyman 5th book they want to get rid of please PM as I would love to buy one.

Post subject: Re: 20 gauge load for Federal or Winchester HS using 209A pr
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 pm 
Crown Grade

IMR IMR Green Fed. 209A WAA20 15.0 11,000 PSI 1,200

The above is the only load I can find with the components you have...Fed hull.. I don't think you'll have much of a problem with migration with the Green's large flakes, and would try that load without hesitation. The CB wad should obdurate to seal pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:19 am 
Diamond Grade

Concur.
Alliant pulled down green dot 7/8 in win hulls, due to pressure cracking some guys tube inserts. Only the fed hull still has it. Hodgdon copied green dot loads exactly for imr green.
I use it in fed hulls, and that cb wad, no problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info on the federal hulls.

It seems hogdon has published some loads for imr blue with 1oz loads to possibly rectify the pressure issues with tubes and imr green. I do see Winchester HS loads listed on the hogdon site for IMR blue, with 209a primers, yet they only list the BP-Sg-20s wad as well as the REM SP-20s. I wish hogdon would publish data with the clay buster wads since they are so available these days.

I found some of the BP SG20S and ordered a small bag to see how they perform as per the powder manufacturer’s data.