ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for advice on tailoring a load for cylinder bore 20G
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi All.

I did a search and came up with bupkis. I am looking to throw a tighter pattern out of a Savage 24c 20G with no choke. I've heard steel will help and using an unslit wad.

Does anyone have any load data for 2 3/4" 20G that will accomplish this? All I have right now for shells is fiocchi from BPI.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer

Post subject: Re: Looking for advice on tailoring a load for cylinder bore
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Other than what you have been told, there is little else you can do other than put some choke in the barrel. There is a "jug" or recess choke but I think choke tubes are your best bet. It's not that expensive but you will have to spend some money. There are a lot of gunsmiths that do that kind of work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for replying. Chokes aren't an option. Its a Savage 24C campers companion and the walls are too thin for chokes, already asked.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:27 pm 
Crown Grade

ReliableRick wrote:
Thanks for replying. Chokes aren't an option. Its a Savage 24C campers companion and the walls are too thin for chokes, already asked.

Mike Orlen can jug choke it to any constriction you'd like.

I have a 24B-DL, That barrel is full. The 24C's were cylinder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Do not use an unslit wad. A wad that isn't slit will invert in flight and will act like a slug.

Federal made some buckshot loads with their Flightcontrol wad in 20 gauge that would tighten up your patterns. However it appears that particular product has been discontinued. That Flightcontrol wad works. It is still being used in their TSS offering.
https://www.natchezss.com/federal-heavy ... -5rds.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

Buffered loads will also tighten up patterns from any choke constriction. I think there are still a couple of factory buffered loads available and the buffering material is still available from BPI for reloaders.

Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

"--------- walls are to thin for chokes, already asked."
I don't know that you have been given bad information, there is minimum thickness requirements but they vary with different types of choke installations. Jug chokes are said to give you up to modified restriction but nobody is going to guarantee that. Thin wall tubes require less barrel thickness than regular installations. I believe permanent sleeves that are not threaded require the least. I have had all types installed that have given new life to older doubles that had been otherwise ruined by clowns that previously owned them! They can install some kind of tube or sleeve in ALMOST anything. A valid question to ask is, "Too thin for what specific installation?" Basic installations are usually not too expensive but the last choke work I had done on a nice Beretta model 410, 10 ga. some Yahoo chopped down to 28" cost me over $500 in early 2000's money. I don't know how much choke you want but you might want to consider buying another gun. For every general rule, there is usually a number of exceptions but guns with tighter chokes usually have longer barrels for a reason!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

IMHO, trying to use ammo to tighten patterns with true cylinder bore chokes will be an exercise in futility. Yeah, you can slow down the velocity, use magnum shot, use large payloads etc., but in the end a cylinder choke is a cylinder choke.

In reality you have two options, have a good gunsmith do the jug choke work or use a different shotgun.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066