ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lead pellet count of North American shotshells
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:00 pm 
Site Sponsor

I wrote this last year for a publication. If you count the pellets in a 1 oz load, you can get a good idea of the percentage of antimony. I got the Federal Gold Medal pellet count from Federal. Many Italian shell manufacturers use tempered lead with a lower antimony percentage. The tempered lead is as hard as the higher antimony content pellets. But because it has less, it weighs more therefore there are less pellet. What it does, is it retains more energy at distance ( a bit like think steel shot versus lead shot). Does one want more pellets or more retained energy? The higher antimony pellets were developed to combat pellet deformation during ignition when the front rows get pushed and crushed by the back rows of pellets and scrubbing of the barrel surface.

I tried for an hour to get everything aligned. But you will be able to figure it out. I will have to take a picture and post, the next time.

North American shotshell lead pellets

Henry SF Nachaj

U.S. and North American shotshell standards are set by ANSI/SAAMI Z299.2 1992. The title of these standards is:
American National Standard
Voluntary Industry Performance Standards
For Pressure and Velocity of Shotshell Ammunition for the Use of Commercial Manufacturers

Note that the standards are “Voluntary” and that there is no law obliging manufacturers to use part or all of the standards. An interesting find in the standard was the acceptable weight tolerances for target loads which were +3 % and -7 %. Also by definition in the standard, lead pellets with greater than .5% antimony are deemed to be “Hard Shot”.

GAUGE DIAMETER PELLET COUNT BY ANTIMONY PERCENTAGE
.5% 2% 4% 6%
#9 .080 536 579 584 599
#8.5 .085 480 483 491 500
#8 .090 404 407 414 421
#7.5 .095 344 346 352 358

According to Federal Cartridge, its target loads have the following numbers:

GAUGE DIAMETER PELLET COUNT
#9 .080 585
#8.5 .085 497
#8 .090 410
#7.5 .095 350

The above indicates that Federal lead pellets have 4% antimony.

Post subject: RC4 Red Supernik
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:36 pm 
Site Sponsor

I did a pellet count of the RC4 Red Supernik 8. It came out exactly to 414 which means that it is 4% antimony. While at the plant, I saw the QC reports. It was plus or minus a few pellets. Check out how uniform the pellets are!

Post subject: Re: Lead pellet count of North American shotshells
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:10 am 
Presentation Grade

Like a fart in a hurricane. If the contents of this topic could be manifested into reality, it might make a fraction of an X on your score card over the course of a calendar year.

Pointing better would make a much bigger difference in outcome.

Mule Driver

Post subject: RC 4 Champion Excellence Trap 8
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:14 am 
Site Sponsor

The pellets were fully enclosed in the wad which is not always the case with some shells. This protects the first row or two of pellets getting deformed due to the contact to the barrel. The pellet count was 413, one pellet off the 414 for a 1oz load of 4% antimony. Notice how uniform the pellets are.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Is it true that European shot is somewhat smaller than American i.e. #8 vs #8?

I've read that a European #7.5 is about the same as an American #8.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:36 am 
Limited Edition

Dalwhinnie I understand your attitude, perspective and frustration with those of us that enjoy technology, science, numbers and mental exploration. HOWEVER, you are not required to read technical posts if they disturb you. What evidence do you have that our technical inquires do not both improve our enjoyment and out comes of our shooting? Respectfully, Chip (Ph.D., d.s.a.)

www.woolleyshooting.com
www.triggersportsintl.com
Muller Mofia
Pilla Glasses call Granny www.pmsfirearms.com
http://silverbulletgunoil.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:18 pm 
Site Sponsor

UK shot is one size smaller than our or the rest of Europe sizes. I will post the actual diameters soon. Chip, I really appreciate your comment as I am a math/physics/scientific/ballistic person. I have 3 patents in a different field while not being an engineer. I need to know how it works. I have been able to produce centerfire loads that will shoot one hole three shot groups at 100M. Some will say that I am anal about it. I jus want to know the science behind it!