ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making your plan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Will,

Could you describe your process in detail? Next, do you have dedicated break points or more general break zones; or a hybrid for the pair?

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

Post subject: Re: Making your plan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:57 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jack,
Good question. Here is my planning routine. Not to be confused with my 'pre-shot routine' .....totally different thing.

First, I start by finding, if possible, where the traps are....either by observation, or by asking the trapper. Trappers can be a wonderful asset of information. Treat them with friendly respect! So, after I know where the machines are, and doing my best to know what type of clays are being thrown, I try to figure out where the targets are thrown. I do this before I call for the view birds. In big shoots, they are going to limit your view targets, so when I get them, I want to already know as much as I can.

So, when actually viewing, I am looking for where I see the birds the first, where I see them the best, what detail on the clay is viewable. In a report, I want to see the second bird out of the trap if possible, just like it was a single. If its a true pair, when I see the first bird the clearest, I say 'bang' and immediately move my eyes to the second bird, so that I know where to look for the second bird during the shoot. I work hard to minimize the transition time between targets, giving more time to work the birds with my eyes. I decide on my foot position, or decide if I need to move my feet between birds. My hold point will be approx. half way back from the where I see the bird best towards where I first see the flash of the clay. The hold point is defined both laterally and vertically. I identify my hold point very precisely.

This is my basic planning routine. If you make your plan the same way every time, you learn to do it completely, automatically, and you learn to trust it.

Regarding break points vs kill zones. Pretty simple, since I don't use a method that delivers the shoot the instant my gun gets to my face, I use a 'kill zone'....generally, its 10-20-30 ft of airspace that the target is the most visible. I've got more than one spot to be perfect ;)

Hope this helps,

Best,

Will

Will Fennell
www.fennellshootingschool.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks Will, excellent overviews!

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Will,

That is the best description of the process of making a plan at a new station I've ever read. With a report pair its usually obvious where the hold points are for the second target. But, many times on a true pair their are choices to be made. You can shoot the first bird early (as a blur) and be able to get to the second target before it goes into transition OR you can shoot the first in a more comfortable place requiring you to shoot the second in transition or simply dropping. I know you favor a pull away style and also that you are able to shoot any method well. When you are confronted with this true pair scenario how do you decide which approach to use?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

HR,
Good question, but unfortunately, not really enough information to answer decisively. But to give as much answer as I can given the limited info about the pair of birds.....

First, I don't worry much about 'birds in transition'. ALL birds are in some form of transition from the time they leave the trap, till they hit the ground. The sooner we get over worrying about that, and get on to solid technique that will help us keep the line of the bird, the better.

Second, I do my best to shoot all targets where I can focus on them the best, but, certainly sometimes true pairs keep us from achieving that 'comfort zone'. Whether I take the first bird early, or the second bird late, is all going to be a risk assessment based on that particular pair, at the time that I'm shooting it...again, waaaay to many variables at this point to make a call on what to do.

Third, I would like to comment that generally I ( and so can you) can 'create time' but managing your eyes/gun efficiently during a pair. Most people get too late of a start in the beginning, and waste toooo much time getting from the first bird to the second. Manage this effectively, and you can gain enough time to get connected visually to the individual birds, and not be rushed.

Hope this helps.....this is a very good question, with a very 'deep' answer.

Best,

Will

Will Fennell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Yes, that helps.

Thank You

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yes, that helps.

Thank You

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:31 am 
Presentation Grade

Will, got your email this morning where you mention you've now got this dedicated forum so just wanted to say both congratulations and thank you!

One question on this topic. Given that at bigger shoots there might be a limitation on show birds what do you do as first shooter in the cage and the presentation is a true pair? Do you ask to see the birds individually or do you prefer to see them together as they'll actually be thrown?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:37 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

JS,
First, I find out all that I can( by asking the trapper) before actually viewing the birds. I try to find out what type of clays are being thrown, where the machines are, and where the targets are landing. I will also ask is there a particular order that most shooters are taking the targets.

On a true pair, the rules state that you get to see the pair at least twice, so I will generally view the birds 'both ways'....in other words looking at the pair by looking at each bird as the first bird. When doing so, in addition to all the other data that I'm trying to glean, I as seeing where the 'second bird' is in the air, when I think I will take the first, so that I know where to look for the second bird.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Will

Will Fennell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:12 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Will. At my next tournament will try that if I end up being the first shooter of a true pair. The saving grace for me is all the registered shoots I attend at this point in time are smallish, local ones, often without dedicated trappers and scorers so getting enogh show birds hasn't proven to be a problem but I should prepare myself for that eventuality.