ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mental game question -- looking at the gap
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Will,

For some reason I am finding myself all of a sudden looking at the gap -- to be clear, not checking the bead, but checking the gap. This is fairly new. I stopped checking bead except very occasionally a long time ago and normally focus well on the target and shoot with "trust." So this is a new issue, or at least one I just noticed, and looking for some strategies to eliminate it! Oh, two other things: First it occurs at random times -- about evenly distributed between second, third and last pair, ending up with me dropping onesies on an otherwise clean station, and almost once every station. Rarely is it on the first pair unless I'm really off my game. Second, it has come along at a time I basically also seem to have lost any "feel" for the targets.

Thanks in advance!

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

Post subject: Re: Mental game question -- looking at the gap
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Jack, does this happen on all sort of targets and presentations?

I find I have this problem with a target that requires either a lot of lead, or a compound lead.

Looking forward to Will's response to your question.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

xsshooter wrote:

I find I have this problem with a target that requires either a lot of lead, or a compound lead.

Actually, it happens most frequently for me on presentations I should easily run. I seem to stay better focused on faster or more complex targets.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:19 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jack,
Sounds pretty straightforward. You are working hard to break the first pair, and then at some point after that, you are easing up on your target focus, and falling into the trap of trying to see the same 'picture' to break the targets. The antidote is to find some detail on the clay to lock your focus onto, and trust your eyes.

Best,

Will

Will Fennell
www.fennellshootingschool.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Will: I cannot tell you all the shoots I would have done better at had it not been for last-pair-itis. Usually feels like I over lead.

Thanks for the tip.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:27 am 
Diamond Grade

JacksBack wrote:
xsshooter wrote:

Actually, it happens most frequently for me on presentations I should easily run. I seem to stay better focused on faster or more complex targets.

Jack,

I think the statement "I should easily run" says a lot. Seems like we create more pressure on ourselves thinking we should run a station where there is less expectation and more focus on presentations we are challenged by. Another way to say it is that we start trying not to miss at those "I should easily run" stations.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Will Fennell wrote:
You are working hard to break the first pair, and then at some point after that, you are easing up on your target focus, and falling into the trap of trying to see the same 'picture' to break the targets.

Man, mentally reviewing my last shoot, I think "easing up on focus" was exactly it.

Thank you Will! Something to work on for sure.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

HR you are also right. The fact I said "easily run" tells a lot of my "easing up" story right there.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Guys,
A little game I play in my head is that every target is an opportunity to to add X's to my score card. Remember, only X's count towards your score. So when I'm down to the last pair on a station, I now am facing 2 birds that I have already 'practiced' 2 or 3 times, right? So that last pair is a BEST time to add X's to your score!

Hey, its my little mental world, and I can play it anyway I want to......see you that works for you!

Best,

Will

Will Fennell
www.fennellshootingschool.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:39 pm 
Field Grade

Will Fennell wrote:
Guys,
A little game I play in my head is that every target is an opportunity to to add X's to my score card. Remember, only X's count towards your score. So when I'm down to the last pair on a station, I now am facing 2 birds that I have already 'practiced' 2 or 3 times, right? So that last pair is a BEST time to add X's to your score!

Hey, its my little mental world, and I can play it anyway I want to......see you that works for you!

Best,

Will

I like that attitude Will. I am fairly new to clay shooting and also find that when my hard focus wavers I miss. I am looking around for exercises regarding this. Today I shot 24/25 on practice skeet and thought on stand 6 - yes i can get the last few. Quess what I missed an easy low trap on stand 7 and ruined what should have been my 1st 25. That was also a PB for me, previously 21. I was also shooting with an IC choke as it was practice. I usually shoot sporting but use skeet as practice particularly for crossers.

Need to find a way to maintain hard focus...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:11 am 
Diamond Grade

Good stuff Will, we all struggle with that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Funny how when I'm shooting really good the target look big and slow and I have no idea what my lead is and just totally trust the feel. Very hard for my to consistently get to the point and maintain it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:38 am 
Crown Grade

davezander wrote:
Funny how when I'm shooting really good the target look big and slow and I have no idea what my lead is and just totally trust the feel. Very hard for my to consistently get to the point and maintain it.

Good post Dave. We've been there and in a NSCA shoot, not just in practice. it seems to occur randomly but in my particular situation it seems that I'm not thinking at all. After establishing the BP. HP, and what type of presentation it is, I go blank, and on the 2nd. pair, don't even think about duplicating the move but just see the target and shoot it. Sounds so simple doesn't it, but that shooting not to miss is a killer. You cannot think score in a NSCA shoot. On a 5 stand registered shoot I had to break the last 2 targets to have a chance of winning class and dropped both. :roll: