ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for Focus on Close True Pairs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:30 am 
Presentation Grade

Will, Really enjoy your forum and your advice. The last 3 or so bigger tournaments I have shot have really pointed out a big weakness I have in my game.

The issue is a true pair that remain close to each other through the flight - but not close enough I can double them :-) I know it should be hard focus on one and then the other, but I am having a really hard time not seeing both and shooting in between. I am going to practice these as much as possible looking for detail on the one I want to shoot, but any other tips or practices?

Thanks!

NSCA#633193
Kolar Max Lite Sporting (x2)
CSMC RBL Sporting
Ithaca M37
Beretta AL391 Urika 2 (x4)
Beretta A400 Xtreme

Post subject: Re: Tips for Focus on Close True Pairs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'll share some ideas for you to try until Will has time to reply.

For me on this type of pair, the most critical thing is my plan: which target do I take first and where, then as importantly for this type of pair, is where do I pick up and visually lock onto that first target?

Often these are thrown so they'll cross at some point before the ideal BP for the first target, so it's important to build that into your plan so you don't get visually confused while tracking it. Sometimes they're just fast and close, which can also cause visual confusion through indecision of which to take first. Either way the plan helps, and the secret for me is to have pre-chosen one -- the lower one, the one to the left or whatever -- as my first, lock onto it and stick with my plan for where to break them.

Hope this helps,

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Rory,
You have hit on a problem that most folks don't even acknowledge....until they have dropped a few on a station like you describe. My best advice is I generally have best success with this problem if I can isolate the bird I want to take first by figuring out which trap it emerges from, and keeping my eyes locked to it from the time it leaves the trap until I kill it....

Not always possible, and I could certainly set a pair of birds that would lead you to violate this 'rule', but I generally strive to do this.....YMMV, and I hope this helps!

Best,

Will

Will Fennell
www.fennellshootingschool.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks will. Always appreciate your insight. In need to get my local club to set up some of these and practice as you describe. I come across them mostly as I begin to travel for shoots.

NSCA#633193
Kolar Max Lite Sporting (x2)
CSMC RBL Sporting
Ithaca M37
Beretta AL391 Urika 2 (x4)
Beretta A400 Xtreme