It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Montefeltro vs. Affinity
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 am 
Utility Grade

I have narrowed down my search for a sporting clay / upland (pheasant, grouse, dove) gun to a Benelli Montefeltro or a Franchi Affinity. I have not yet decided on 26 or 28 inch barrel, but the gun will be walnut.

My question is, what am I getting with the Montefeltro that would justify the extra $200? I haven't handled a walnut Affinity (will have to order), so I imagine the finish of the Benelli will be nicer. Is there anything else? Does different location of the recoil spring result in a different feel when shooting?

Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: Montefeltro vs. Affinity
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:18 pm 
Utility Grade

The Affinity has a raised rib and the barrel/receiver are a matte black not blued like the Monty. The Affinity also has a goofy recoil pad that will be hard to replace if desired. I'm kind of in the same boat and I'm leaning towards the Affinity. Although it is a more plain looking gun, it still is tasteful with decent wood. I have not shot the Affinity so i don't know if it feels different. The bolt seems to slam home with more authority on the Affinity. Although that could just be in my head.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:23 pm 
Crown Grade

The Affinity Walnut will have a flat finish on both the wood and metal, the checkering is more like stippling, and the return spring is on the magazine tube, rather than in the stock, so it may be slightly more muzzle heavy. I looked carefully at Both an Affinity Walnut and a Montefeltro 12 ga. at a "try and buy" event (Rice Creek Gun Fair). Its finish is glossy, with nice checkering and prettier wood- there probably is $200 worth of refinement there - but I still went with the Affinity, in 20 ga., because I'm primarily a hunter, and liked the flat finish for early season Teal hunting, among other things.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

psustang89 wrote:
I have narrowed down my search for a sporting clay / upland (pheasant, grouse, dove) gun to a Benelli Montefeltro or a Franchi Affinity. I have not yet decided on 26 or 28 inch barrel, but the gun will be walnut.

My question is, what am I getting with the Montefeltro that would justify the extra $200? I haven't handled a walnut Affinity (will have to order), so I imagine the finish of the Benelli will be nicer. Is there anything else? Does different location of the recoil spring result in a different feel when shooting?

Thanks for the help!

The Affinity is plagued with an oddball recoil pad that is not easily replaced by better pads.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the Affinity in wood with 28" barrel . A 26" will work for what you want to do but most pheasant hunters I know and what I have seen on the outdoor channel when pheasant hunting most prefer a 28" but as I said a 26" will do . As far with trap/skeet I've seen both used and that's really a personal preference to length . The Affinity tho is not plagued as mentioned with an odd ball recoil pad . I do know another one slightly thicker has been made but I lost my link where to get it . Mainly cause the recoil pad that is on it is slightly thicker than most other factory recoil pads that come on most guns and to me so far I have not had any problems with shoulder pain after shooting a couple hundred rounds . If a person was to shoot 500-1000 rds a day then yes maybe they will have a problem but comparing that recoil to the Montefeltro the Montefeltro will probably win over the Affinity . The Affinity has most but not all the bells and whistles of the Montefeltro , otherwise the Affinity would cost as much as the Montefeltro . Both are owned by Beretta , however the Affinity is made in Italy from a factory owned by Benelli . So when it comes to your choice go with what feels right for you as long as it fits you the best . I love my Affinity but would love to have a Montefeltro .

BTW Franchi SGs' come with a 7 year warranty .

http://www.franchiusa.com/warranty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Worth the $200 difference.............YES!

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

"Never fear the dead, fear the living".......Old Moe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If your choice is actually narrowed down to these two-buy the Montefeltro. I love mine. The level of fit and finish, inside and out, will be a little better. Also, Limbsaver sells an exact-fit recoil pad, the AirTech, for the Monte that is fantastic! You will not regret buying the Montefeltro. Free advice, and worth at least what it cost!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Don't know the affinity, but our house has four montefeltros in various configurations. Everyone loves them. I've shot mine for many years, very happy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm 
Field Grade

What you are getting for $200 more is a higher level of fit and finish and a more neutral balancing gun, and as Randy stated, a conventional and easily replaced recoil pad. That being said, you should try to shoot them both before deciding which one to purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Been very pleased with the Montefeltro, 20 gauge. Points well, carries light and even the walnut figuring is nice. That's all I can offer, not had the opportunity with the Affinity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:55 pm 
Limited Edition

I would gladly pay $200 more for a Montefeltro over anything from Franchi. I had a Franchi, and it holds the record for the shortest residence time in my safe if any gun I've ever owned. Couldn't get rid or it fast enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a 12ga. left hand Montefeltro with a 26" barrel that I use for pheasant hunting in South Dakota. Not too heavy to carry all day and points great. Picked up a used 28" barrel for occasional sporting clays.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the great feedback. I have yet to see a Monte and Affinity in walnut at the shop at the same time, so I haven't had a true side-by-side comparison. I did handle a Monte again today, and I think the Affinity fits me better. The comb seems to be too tall on the Monte as I see quite a bit of rib in front of the bead. I did have my heart set on the Benelli, so I will wait until I can handle them side-by-side to make a final decision...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Looked at closely, side by side, there is a higher level of fit and finish on the Benelli----when I come up with an extra $1000, a Benelli 20ga Monty will be coming home with me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Montefeltro for me. I have the 12 and plan on adding a 20 by next fall.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the monty 20ga. A delight to carry but not as much fun to shoot. I avoid the 3" shells, because they really hurt. A good hunting gun but too light for the clay games.