It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winchester SX4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:13 pm 
Field Grade

emgerrish wrote:
Presumably whoever you bought that gun from properly cleaned the shipping grease from it...that stuff is like slug slime.
I'd break it down and thoroughly clean it and then relube it...lightly.
It should cycle those shells without any problems...mine does.

Like I said .....It fired and ejected the used shell , it just didnt suck the other one in.
Only once , did that happen .......... Iam going out again tomorrow and will test it again.
Thanks dj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

casonet wrote:
You might want to do a comparison with the SX-3 before you buy a SX-4

No kidding.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:57 pm 
Field Grade

For an update .........I ended up buying an SX3 .......... got tired of the wait for the SX4 ........which Iam finding out everywhere I read was probably a good thing , almost everywhere.
Iam loving my gun (SX3) and have shot the crap out of it every weekend since I got it .....lol
My one jam I had was operator error .........It shoots any shell I put in it......so Iam happy.
I am really happy that I got it , as with probably alot of folks ......Iam now looking to get an over and under ......LOL
Wanting to try a Winchester 101...............lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:57 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks to all that put there opinion in and helped me to decide.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:06 pm 
Field Grade

Don't be in a hurry to redo the trigger my sx3 lightened up a bunch after 2-3 boxes through it. Enjoy it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:51 pm 
Field Grade

Iam actually gonna get a shooting lesson tomorrow , teach me to shoot with both eyes .......apparently I wasnt doing it right.
I had no idea I was doing it wrong until this forum ........lol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I had a chance to look at an SX4, finally. Had it on the counter side by side with a V3, both were 28" black synthetic guns. Fit and finish on the guns was a wash, stock texture on both guns was about the same. V3 felt a little heavier to me, both guns were a little barrel heavy which I like. SX4 pointed better for me, both were a little short with just a shirt on. I was thinking the bolt release looked a little over done the 4 but after using it I like it. As far as the trigger guard on the 4, I still don't know what it is made of. The guy at the store didn't know and he wasn't up for scratching it with a nail file to see if it was alloy, go figure. The finish is the same as the receiver and very smooth. don't think I would be afraid to buy either gun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:04 pm 
Field Grade

Iam thinkin on getting the SX4 next week as a matter of fact ......thanks for your input.
Ive held one before and wish that it had dura-touch , but it is what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:45 am 
Utility Grade

Well I ordered an SX4 back in January after seeing a couple promotional reviews and I just received my SX4 earlier this week. I ordered the 3.5" with 28" barrel in the max 5 camo pattern. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet to give you my opinions but will do so after I put a couple hundred rounds through it. The gun does shoulder well for me and feels good but after seeing Randy's review tonight for the first time I'm a little nervous so I'm hoping the gun shoots well. Not really to worried about recoil as I bought the gun for hunting but if it does become a problem, I may do what Randy did to the V3 and see if Limbsaver makes an Airtech recoil pad for it. Now to start looking at aftermarket chokes and seeing what patterns best in the SX4.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I enjoy shooting my SX4 and don't know why people are so grouchy over it. I have about 700 shells run through it and don't have any complaints. I consistantly hang with guys shooting Brownings, Benellis, and Berettas. And unlike them, I'm not in any leagues during the week and never have been.

I've had one failure to eject and one failure to chamber a round (Winchester AA ammo) in the first 150 shots. No failures since using Federal 1 1/8oz 1200 fps size 7.5 shot.

It is reliable and functional shotgun. It isn't the prettiest wood and the recoil pad may look goofy, but it fits me nice and feels like a 20 gauge in my hands.

I've noticed that the gun's trigger and recoil lighten up with use. The trigger pull for my gun averages 5 & 3/4 lbs. Recoil is somewhat lighter with use too. However, after shooting SX3s in the past, I'd say recoil with my SX4 is touch more, but may be due to the slight decrease in weight.

Enjoy your gun!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I enjoy shooting my SX4 and don't know why people are so grouchy over it. I have about 700 shells run through it and don't have any complaints. I consistantly hang with guys shooting Brownings, Benellis, and Berettas. And unlike them, I'm not in any leagues during the week and never have been.

I've had one failure to eject and one failure to chamber a round (Winchester AA ammo) in the first 150 shots. No failures since using Federal 1 1/8oz 1200 fps size 7.5 shot.

It is reliable and functional shotgun. It isn't the prettiest wood and the recoil pad may look goofy, but it fits me nice and feels like a 20 gauge in my hands.

I've noticed that the gun's trigger and recoil lighten up with use. The trigger pull for my gun averages 5 & 3/4 lbs. Recoil is somewhat lighter with use too. However, after shooting SX3s in the past, I'd say recoil with my SX4 is touch more, but may be due to the slight decrease in weight.

Enjoy your gun!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Maniac I'll enjoy the gun. I really I like it so far. The camo finish is good the gun shoulders well the trigger is a little stiff but nothing a little polishing can't fix or maybe I'll wait until after break in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:34 am 
Tournament Grade

When the safety button starts to get shiny the trigger will be far smoother than it is when new...if the gun fits and shoulders well you'll love it when you are hunting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:55 pm 
Utility Grade

emgerrish wrote:
When the safety button starts to get shiny the trigger will be far smoother than it is when new...if the gun fits and shoulders well you'll love it when you are hunting.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to hunting season.