It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fabarm L4S Field vs Fabarm Waterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Had the chance to shoot both of these guns back to back today at the Game Fair here in MN... All I can say is they were both outstanding. With that said, the Waterfowler felt better to me - it must be the slightly higher rib. However, I'm just not sure I can get over the looks. I'd essentially be going from what many would consider the ugliest shotgun ever made (Super Vinci) to one I'd rank right up there with it. The other thought in my mind is that I'm really not a hard core waterfowl guy. I do hunt ducks, but I also hunt a lot of pheasant in southern MN and grouse in northern MN as well, and I'm just not sure if the Waterfowler would make a good all-around gun???

Meanwhile, the L4S Initial Hunter is in my opinion the best value in shotguns today. I don't think it's quality/dollar can be matched. My only issue with this gun is that in it's "stock" form I see a little too much of the rib. I basically had to push my head down a little harder onto the comb to get where I needed to be vs. the Waterfowler. However, I could shim and/or install the 22mm butt pad to get pretty close to perfect... I think... Plus, the L4S (no matter which model) is a very nice looking gun.

Anyone have any thoughts? Do I go with the ugly (IMO), plastic camo gun that fit a little better today, or do i go with the gorgeous, less expensive wood-stocked L4S and hope I can tweak it slightly to get where I need it to be?

Also, if you haven't handled or shot a Fabarm, do yourself a favor and try one.

Thanks.

Joe

Post subject: Re: Fabarm L4S Field vs Fabarm Waterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 am 
Field Grade

I wish I had time to head down to the Game Fair to try one of those out. Glad they are getting samples out there for people to use.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Joe I shot the waterfowler and the new l4s sporting at the game fair. I like a bit taller rib coming from Benellis so I liked the waterfowler but I'd only use it for ducks and geese. I wish the waterfowler had oversized bolt release like the sporting. Sporting handle nice too. Shims on l4s field might get you to where you need it. Plenty a duck shot without being a camo gun (just don't wave your gun around until ducks in range to shoot) but the dents and scratches will show more on the nice wood and receiver. I'd go with the wood one if ducks are not the main quarry. There is also a long rib sporting model that was not at game fair with same rib as waterfowler.

Btw Armazan arms has a fairly complete line of CG's and Fabarm's and Syrens for demonstration at the Anoka game fair for those wanting a test drive. Opens again this coming weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:10 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

JSun wrote:
Had the chance to shoot both of these guns back to back today at the Game Fair here in MN...

It sure sounds like you answered your own question. Enjoy your new L4S.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:47 pm 
Limited Edition

On looks alone I would pick the L4S IH. that waterfowler has one ugly camo pattern on it .

Citori 725 Sporting
Citori 725 field 20ga
1100 Rem 20 ga Std Wgt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Do what I did, buy both. :mrgreen:

If I could only get one, it would be the Waterfowler for me. We disagree with you on the appearance but out of the two, it is a better fit for what I hunt which is mostly waterfowl.

HOWEVER, for an "all around gun" like in your situation, I would go with the L4S.

Enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I bought the L4S initial hunter this past weekend and used it some yesterday. It performed well on a few sporting targets in the morning and then was very efficient in the dove field yesterday afternoon. I do own an XLR5 fr and it compares favorably. The L4S is a little more lively without being too light. Recoil with standard sporting and dove fodder was not a factor. It seems to be a good all-around gun. Dont know how it will behave in the duck blind, with heavier ammo, but should be very adept at that too. Definitely a keeper.. j.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:24 am 
Crown Grade

I had the L4S field model and still have the Waterfowler. Both in 28" barrel length. I prefer the slightly raised rib of the Waterfowler. For an all-around gun, I would choose the Waterfowler, as if you get caught in wet weather when clayshooting or hunting, you won't have to worry about the wet weather damaging a wood stock.

I have the XLR LR and find it's a bit heavy after a while of clay shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

After a few more outings with the black hunter L4S I am still very impressed. I did adjust the stock just a hair with the enclosed shim and it seems to shoot a bit more to my poa. A three-minute job. Form and function are both first rate. Oohs and ahs from everyone on both counts. Sporting model may be on my radar when my dealer gets one in..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, I am indecisive when it comes to buying a new gun (to say the least) so I have yet to purchase one. I am pretty sure it's because I enjoy the research more than anything, and when I buy it's over. With that said, I think tomorrow is the day, now if I could just decide... dang Sweet Sixteen...

Joe