ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brand new Remington V3 with barrel problems
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:12 am 
Utility Grade

Hi everybody! Could you help me with the issue I'm having with my Remington V3 Field Sport Black Synthetic? It's a brand new shotgun and there are three 1-2" in diameter black spots along the barrel in different areas, which I can't get rid of. I tried Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner, Ballistol, WD with brass brush but no luck. In the gun shop I thought it was just a dirty barrel after factory tests, just like on all other shotguns. Those spots are not smooth and it feels like it was a rust or overheated metal or something. Have you seen something like that in your V3 barrels? Also, there are 4 lines along the barrel, which looks like scratches. I went to a few stores and all V3 Field Sport Black SYN have those lines, except the camo versions, which barrels were nicely polished. All V3 Field Sport Black Synthetic barrels had same black spots but with different sizes and locations. I've found only one V3 Field Sport Black SYN which looks kind of acceptable for me. And guys, I don't compare this barrel with any chrome lining ones but it looks definitely way worse than my Remington 11-87 and VM barrels. I like the V3 in all its aspects but that barrel worries me quite a bit. So, I guess, I have to return it. Any thought?
You can see those black spots and the lines in the pictures:
Image Image Image Image

Last edited by AlexDavis on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Brand new Remington V3 with barrel problems
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:28 am 
Crown Grade

Pretty common gun. I would think you shouldn`t have to wait long for comments. I have the walnut variant and this makes me curious. Frankly, even if my V3 barrel were to have what you report, I`ve been very pleased with the gun`s performance, so wouldn`t do anything. This is an edit. I`ll qualify that a bit. If I saw that it was really some sort of damage or potential barrel weakness, I`d send it back to Remington.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

Assuming it is not a safety issue, if it bothered me enough to do something about it; I would use a flex hone system to really make that barrel shine. In my experience, assuming minor scratches as your pictures seem to illustrate, don't adversely effect the barrel's use.

The Flex hones are super easy to use and very, very effective for polishing a barrels innards. I would first use the medium grit one to see if that doesn't eliminate some of what you see. If it does and you want the ultimate polish to the bore then follow up with a fine grit. Pricey but can really make a difference and can be used on many barrels in subsequent years of gun ownership.

See link below.

080-606-112WB
Flex Hone® 12 Gauge Med. Bore

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... od647.aspx

However, if it is in fact just a cosmetic issues; I would leave it alone, shoot and clean properly and see if after 100,000 rounds or so it gets better! :shock: :lol:

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I returned my shotgun, yesterday, and bought another V3 but I'm still not happy with it. Only when I came home I noticed how badly the vent rib was soldered.
This is how it supposed to look:
and this is what I got:
I guess, there's no way to fix at home!?
I didn't have such problems with the previous barrel. I'm actually shocked. This is why Remington is dying. That quality is even worse than some Chinese shotguns out there. I was a loyal Remington customer for over 15 years but I'm done with it.

Last edited by AlexDavis on Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I don`t know. Kind of wondering if maybe you returned what`s actually a perfectly good shotgun? Awful lot of them out there with which an awful lot of people seem to be pleased.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:05 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

AlexDavis wrote:
I returned my shotgun, yesterday, and bought another V3 but I'm still not happy with it. Only when I came home I noticed how badly the vent rib was soldered.

It isn't soldered at all. It is welded on.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:18 pm 
Crown Grade

AlexDavis wrote:
and this is what I got:
I didn't have such problems with the previous barrel. I'm actually shocked. This is why Remington is dying. That quality is even worse than some Chinese shotguns out there. I was a loyal Remington customer for over 15 years but I'm done with it.

I will give you $200 including shipping for that obviously defective shotgun! Should I PM you for your payment address?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:44 pm 
Utility Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
AlexDavis wrote:

Does it make any difference if they can't make it right!? The question is how long will take for the welding seam to crack? Or it's not gonna affect that welding seam?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:52 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

AlexDavis wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
AlexDavis wrote:

Does it make any difference if they can't make it right!? The question is how long will take for the welding seam to crack? Or it's not gonna affect barrel/rib integrity?

No one has had any problems with your imagined rib cracking-- it isn't going anywhere and that's how they are made. You're worried about nothing. After the second go, how could you possibly not go over the gun before you bought it? It makes no sense.

Go to 8:27 of my video:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:55 pm 

Welcome to SGW AD! I would think the rib would be ok, then again it might not. I don't like the two holes at the front as it's a great place to let moisture in. No telling what is or is not under the finish. It could be hiding more potential problems. I'd worry less that there is not a wide spread issue with ribs coming off on this model. I would guess it will make little difference to you if no one else has rib issues if yours ends up separating.
I would at least contact Remington and show them what you have going on and make sure it's documented. Hard to catch every flaw in a gun when on the showroom floor. Some times it takes just the right lighting and angle to catch something.

Good luck in what ever decision you make.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:10 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Worc wrote:
I would at least contact Remington and show them what you have going on and make sure it's documented.

Remington is currently out of business: they don't answer the phone. There is no one to contact.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Welcome Alex,

I own a V3 and did not experience the dark spots you had on your first barrel. I did however have a barrel replaced because of a gas venting problem. My replacement barrel shows the same holes in the rib at the muzzle end of the barrel as yours does. I'm not worried about it. I've put thousands of shells through the replacement barrel and there is no indication of the rib becoming loose because of it. Enjoy the gun. Shoot it a lot.

You have every right to expect the highest quality possible from a new gun regardless the price point. I have experienced more than my fair share of disappointments with guns over the last 5 decades. But, as competition has increased. manufactures have improved quality. The ones that do not don't survive long.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

If worried about moisture getting in there, fill it with black silicone or something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

AlexDavis wrote:
and this is what I got:

I seem to see that the choke tube does not seem to sit squarely in the barrel; one side seems flush, the other seems to be sticking out a tad. If what I see is true, that would concern me more.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Good photography skills anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
AlexDavis wrote:

A lot of people don’t know the difference between welding and soldering. Or brazing for that matter. To them they’re generic terms.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:44 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The salient point is that Remington is out of business. They are not making firearms, nor have they been for some time. There is currently no customer service and no warranty. Today, anyone that buys a new Remington should know that going in. If you want to complain about something after the sale, too bad so sad. Remington does not exist.

That's the way it is today. There is no Remington workforce. The new owners, Roundhill, cannot yet make any firearms . . . they have no manufacturing license or FFL yet and it will take some time before they can get things sorted.

If someone doesn't understand how a V3 or other firearm is made, then bring someone with you that does. You cannot buy a firearm made last year by a company that no longer exists and rationally expect customer support. You're on your own at the moment. The Chapter 11 / Remington dissolution happened on July 27. The asset sales happened Sep 29, 2020.

It is 'buyer beware' today. If that is not to your liking, then you are better served buying something from a company that exists.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:58 am 
Diamond Grade

That rib should be no problem whatever. The welding that Remington did on them was one of the most secure ways of holding a rib on of just about any that have been made. Some ribs are soft soldered, and tend to fall off fairly often. Some used posts that werv brazed on and these also tended to come off at times if the floating rib was pinned to some of the ribs. Winchester did some of those, for example, I think the M1200 did it that way. Some people fixed the SX-1 ribs that came loose by pinning them in the 3 center posts that were brazed on, and those tended to break loose the brazing.
Your rib construction on V3 is great, get used to it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just looked my Remington barrels. I have 1 V3 barrel and two 870 barrels. I purchased each of these barrels or the guns they came with new.

ALL 3 of those barrels have similar gaps or voids where the vent rib attaches to the barrel. As a matter of fact all 3 of the barrels not only have these small voids at the end of the vent rib, but also at most of the attachments all the way down the length of the rib. In every case my voids are more symmetrical than what your picture indicates, but the fact that they are there is consistent at almost every location where the vent rib attaches to the barrel.

The 28" V3 barrel is marked XK indicating a manufacture date of December 2016, this date would seem consistent with the purchase date of the V3 in August of 2017.
The 30" 870 barrel is marked CG indicating a manufacture date of April 2012, this date would seem consistent with the purchase date of this extra barrel in July of 2012.
The 28" 870 barrel does not have a two letter code marked on it but the gun was purchased new in June 2017.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Road Man wrote:
I just looked my Remington barrels. I have 1 V3 barrel and two 870 barrels. I purchased each of these barrels or the guns they came with new.

ALL 3 of those barrels have similar gaps or voids where the vent rib attaches to the barrel. As a matter of fact all 3 of the barrels not only have these small voids at the end of the vent rib, but also at most of the attachments all the way down the length of the rib. In every case my voids are more symmetrical than what your picture indicates, but the fact that they are there is consistent at almost every location where the vent rib attaches to the barrel.

The 28" V3 barrel is marked XK indicating a manufacture date of December 2016, this date would seem consistent with the purchase date of the V3 in August of 2017.
The 30" 870 barrel is marked CG indicating a manufacture date of April 2012, this date would seem consistent with the purchase date of this extra barrel in July of 2012.
The 28" 870 barrel does not have a two letter code marked on it but the gun was purchased new in June 2017.

Any functional issues or problems?