It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is a good older pump to buy?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I am looking for a good, reliable, older pump shotgun that I can pick up at an affordable (cheap) price. I have seen some older remingtons (not 870) and smith & wessons in my price range. I don't want to buy something that was unreliable back in it's day or something that i can never find replacement parts for. I would really like to spend less that $200. My only criteria is that the gun be a pump 12 ga. with at least a 28" barrel and fixed modified or full choke. A vent rib (or solid rib for that matter) would be an added bonus. Any thoughts or opinions?

Post subject: re: What is a good older pump to buy?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:55 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

You'd better settle for a M870. It is in your price range, parts are everywhere and they are easy to fix, clean and change barrels. The older Wingmaster Models can be great buys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:27 am 
Presentation Grade

870 Wingmaster, I picked one up on this site for about $200. Great guns and as stated earlier parts are everywhere.

Also 870 Express, Mossy 500 would be second (way back) choices for inexpensive used guns.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:35 am 
Crown Grade

Under $200 is a tall order, but under $300-350 will put you in a used 870 Winmaster on the low end or maybe in a Winchester Mosel 12 on the high end. Probably no choke tubes in the Remington and none for sure in the M12. Depending on what you want to do with the gun, there are also tons of police trade-ins around. They are all beat up cosmetically, but none have been shot much.... lots of 870s, Win 1200s and the like.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:31 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I think I saw a brand new Rem. 870 Express at Wal-Mart for under $200 (if your local stores sell guns).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:44 am 
Limited Edition

Consider a used Ithaca 37. some might be over the 200 mark but these are rock solid and have fixed chokes. Doubt that replacement parts would be an issue since these guns never seem to break.

As others have noted, an 870 Expresss (these can be found used for around $200) is also a choice to consider. While not the prettiest gun and most will have choke tubes, they get the job done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

In no particular order I list the Remington 870, Remington Model 31, Ithaca Model 37, Winchester Model 12, Mossberg 500, Browning BPS. All of these are reliable, and with some searching you are likely to find one of them within your price range.

Post subject: Re: re: What is a good older pump to buy?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

A5guy wrote:
You'd better settle for a M870. It is in your price range, parts are everywhere and they are easy to fix, clean and change barrels. The older Wingmaster Models can be great buys.

I believe the 870 is the only one that will pass your criteria as well.

Slidehammer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:10 am 
Tournament Grade

Golfswithwolves wrote:
In no particular order I list the Remington 870, Remington Model 31, Ithaca Model 37, Winchester Model 12, Mossberg 500, Browning BPS. All of these are reliable, and with some searching you are likely to find one of them within your price range.

I am looking for something more along these lines. I want something made in the 1950s. While the 870 is a wonderful gun I am looking for something "different" to play around with. I found a Winchester model 12 for $200 but it was in pretty poor condition. I saw a Remington model 31 in very good condition for $199 but am unfamiliar with this particular model. I saw an Ithaca I liked but it was a 16ga and I am looking for a 12ga. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of the model 31? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:09 am 
Crown Grade

I have owned many pumps including the Rem 870 Wingmaster & Express, Moss 500, Browning BPS, and the Ithaca 37. I prefer the Ithacas as they have the shortest and slickest action and are very light. The Ithacas also have a sweet swing and feel for me, and have bottom ejection. The only negative on the Ithacas is that the gun is a bit more complex to totally strip down than say the 870.

The BPS is the heaviest of the above group of pumps, and is very nicely made.

I have read on this forum of 870 Expresses the last few years that rust up easily, and some of their choke tubes weren't put in straight. But there are a ton of after market accessories for the 870 as well.

I have been told the Mossberg pump is the only pump that has met American military specs.

Generally though they are all good for what they were made for. A shotgun has to pull my trigger before I pull its trigger. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Ray1970,

Although the Remington 31 is a good gun, it is going to be a bit harder finding parts for. If you say that it is in excellent condition, then it should give you years of excellent service.

I also agree that the 870 is still going to give you the best bang for your $200. It is a great pump gun and part will be no problem should they ever be needed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:27 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a wingmaster 1974 that my grandfather gave me in 1979. It came with a 28in. mod barrel (no rib) . I now have a 26in impr cyl, 26in with tubes, a used 30in full choke for trap. The options are endless with the 870 and are easy and cheap to fix. I dont use it primarly now but use it for trap and doves. Also I fogot to mentioned a 28in. mod. with a vent rib I also got used! The gun literally works like brand new and believe me it was and is USED! GOOD LUCK IN YOUR CHOICE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:50 am 
Crown Grade

Remington Model 870.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:17 am 
Field Grade

Count me amongst the folks who like the Ithaca Model 37. It is light and a solid John Browning design of longevity. You'll never have problems getting parts for repair ... ASSUMING it ever breaks!

“Hunting is one of the last genuine, personal adventures of modern man. Just as game animals are the truest indicators of quality natural environment, so hunting is the truest indicator of quality natural freedom.” … John Madson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I am with the Ithica group. Picked one up for $150 last year. The Rem 31 is a solid gun comparable to the Win model 12.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here is another post for the Ithaca's. Reliable, lightweight, and always points where you aim.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Although the model 37 has a nice slick action and they are light, if you plan on putting hunting loads through it, be prepared to be kicked, as they are thumpers in comparison to an 870, which has a bit more heft to them....I've owned 1 37 and that was enough!!

Leave the 37 with the sore shouldered sucker that owns it and buy a good ol reliable remington, time tested and well proven...

Good luck in your decision :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks to everyone for their opinions- I won't be purchasing an 870- I have owned several over the years and they are perfectly serviceable guns buy just aren't what I am looking for. I have a semi-auto and a side by side that I use for hunting and an over/under that I use for sporting clays and trap. I just want a pump gun made in the 1930s or 40s that I can drag to the range maybe once every couple of months just to shoot maybe one round of trap with. I just like the nostalgia associated with an older gun and that is what I want. Thanks again for the thoughts and opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Ray 1970

IMO you cannot go wrong with an Ithaca 37. They are built like tanks. Ultimately it boils down to what you like and what fits.

BG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RuffBuff wrote:
Count me amongst the folks who like the Ithaca Model 37. It is light and a solid John Browning design of longevity. You'll never have problems getting parts for repair ... ASSUMING it ever breaks!

+1 for the M37.

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC