CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage Milano
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm intrigued by this O/U for several reasons but can't get my hands on one. I know they're discontinued but still around. Anybody used or handled one that can provide some feedback. My use will be a combo of field use and clays. Searching didn't produce much. Thanks in advance...

Post subject: Re: Savage Milano
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

I may be wrong buit the Milano may not be offered anymore - but do not dispair!
They are manifactured by FAIR, and you can buy one of those a tad cheaper IIRC.
Excellent guns BTW ( the FAIR), own 4.
Davide

Last edited by Davide Todd on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

I know where there is one for sale if you are interested. I think he wants 700 bucks for it.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:55 pm 
Utility Grade

shuffstutler wrote:
I know where there is one for sale if you are interested. I think he wants 700 bucks for it.

Steve

Interested, pending details.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Isn't the savage Milano similiar to the Veronas that were imported? I had one of those and it was nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

northwoods33 wrote:
shuffstutler wrote:

Steve

I sent you a pm.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:45 pm 
Utility Grade

shuffstutler wrote:
northwoods33 wrote:
shuffstutler wrote:

Steve

I sent you a pm.

Steve

Replied...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

A member in North Carolina said:

I ran across a Savage Milano in a local gun store and it had a nice feel to it. Here is a review I found:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_milano.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

Desert Lake Shooting Club near Boulder City, NV. has several 20 gauge Cortonas for sale. They're closed Tuesday and Wednesday and open mornings the rest of the week. You might be able to get a good deal there on a barely used Cortona.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:27 am 
Diamond Grade

Try to get yourself a Verona. They are made by F.A.I.R. the same people who make the Milano and the Cortona. They are great guns and for a lot less money too. You might try asking the guys on the " I love my Verona" board on this site, they may be able to hook you up on one. Worst thing I ever did was get rid of my Verona LX503 Golden Quail in 20. Ga. on a trade. I still kick myself. It was a great gun, though I like the one I traded on as well or better but still.......................wish I had kept her. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've owned half a dozen F.A.I.R.-made guns and would agree that the Verona's are the best deal of the lot. Solid, reliable, decent (if not outstanding) cosmetics. Sometimes quite nice wood for the money. Nicely proportioned, especially in the subgauges. Worthy shooters.

The NEA LX series can get pretty ornate, and I've have got two of them. No complaints. Killed a bunch of pheasant with 'em and broke some clays with the heavier one.

Have never handled a Milano, but I would thoroughly inspect before buying. I like F.A.I.R.s, but from what I've seen, some of their O/Us do seem to slip QC. Look for a good forearm fit, to start.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:01 am 
Field Grade

old post, but ill put in my two cents.

while the savage milano is doscontinued, if you run across one, you better snatc it up. i own a 20 GA milano. ive owned alot of different high $$$ shotguns ( beretta, browning, weatherby,ruger,ect) and i have to say the milano compares in quality to each and every one of them. the milano was even chosen in a couple of diferent reviews and comparisons hands down over the higher $$$ shotguns. fit and finish are perfect. balance is perfect, and its a gorgeous gun. shoots awsome.

i wish i had one in each ga they put out. for the life of me i cant understand why savage would discontinue them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:36 am 
Field Grade

JohnsGuideService wrote:
old post, but ill put in my two cents.

while the savage milano is doscontinued, if you run across one, you better snatc it up. i own a 20 GA milano. ive owned alot of different high $$$ shotguns ( beretta, browning, weatherby,ruger,ect) and i have to say the milano compares in quality to each and every one of them. the milano was even chosen in a couple of diferent reviews and comparisons hands down over the higher $$$ shotguns. fit and finish are perfect. balance is perfect, and its a gorgeous gun. shoots awsome.

i wish i had one in each ga they put out. for the life of me i cant understand why savage would discontinue them.

I think it's hard to justify paying what Savage was asking for those shotguns, even
though they are made by FAIR.Going for $1300 originally,now I see them for $900(NIB).
At that price,people look at the B guns.IIRC, Veronas are being imported by Legacy now
and are quite pricey.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

At $900, for a hunter, a NIB subgauge Milano or other FAIR might be the better choice than a B gun. Heresy, I now, but FAIR generally builds a lean, light gun in 16s on down. They are really nice in the uplands. Other than one I received from Cabela's with a loose forearm (full credit return), the 5 or 6 that I've had have all been rock-solid, reliable, shoot-where-I look great field guns.

Heavy clays use? I wouldn't even make the argument...unless someone has a thing for very light guns.

I paid $900 for a NIB Verona 501 in 16...it was a quite a bit harder to find than the other Veronas. I liked it plenty, but gave my brother a deal on it (including that if he ever wants to get rid of it, I have first dibs). I had 3 good field O/Us in 16s in the safe, he had none and was looking for one. I shot well with it, and so does he. A pretty nice pheasant gun. I held onto my FAIR LX900 and 600 Gold. The 600 Gold is a light 26-incher and gets most of my field work. I do casual clays (hunting practice) with the 900, which is about 3/4 to a pound heavier than the 600 (2" more barrels, and denser more highly figured wood). With 1 oz GLs and a Kick-eez pad, it's a fairly mild shooter to boot.

Don't get me wrong ... there are three B O/Us in my safe. But the subgauge FAIRs are pretty sweet for a walking hunter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:56 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Same basic action as B. Rizzini, CG, etc. Too bad most people didn't "get it."

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Although I have a CG 28 gauge Woodlander LH now, I still like my Veronas. . . I have one in 12 and 20 and two in 28. . .great guns. (I paid $497 for my last LX503 28 and 12 gauge on clearance from Gander Mountain, pretty tough to beat) I could make a few $100 bucks on them right now, but they are being held for the kids.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:02 am 
Utility Grade

i have a savage milano in 28 gauge and it is one sweeeet handling gun. I have had it for three years and have had no problems with it. I shoot skeet with it but have no doubts it could be a great field gun too. Too bad this gun did not sell well for savage as it offered a lot of gun for the money. I have no complaints on the one i own and could not replace it with one of similar quality. I purchased mine for 975.00 new in the box delivered on a internet transaction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:

Agreed. If you know what your needs are and are familiar with the market, some of FAIR's guns can be an excellent buy.

I've had some B.Riz and CG guns, too. The best of the FAIRs actually do measure up, especially in the category of field or upland guns. I may take some flak for that one, but I've had the rounds downrange and the pheasant dinners to back my case.

My LX900, on which I refinished the wood myself, gets a lot of compliments -- even from B-gun shooters -- when I take it out for a little fun/practice. When some of the older guys see me dropping in 1 oz. 16 GLs, I've gotten into some pretty good conversations. Some of the white-haired guys make the best squad mates. They know what they're doing and can shoot, but they also understand the value of a relaxing day at the club.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

I don't think Savage did a good job of advertising these guns. I have only seen one, at a Bass Pro Shop. I also think they started out with the price to high. Could have raised it after they got some recognition and better distribution, maybe in Dicks like the original Verona's.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Somehow, I don't see a deal coming along anytime soon like we saw on the FAIR-made Verona O/Us. Times & economy, strength of dollar, etc., have all changed. Randy would probably understand the situation better than I do.

I think it's really too bad, though, because a lot of hunters and casual clays guys found guns that made them quite happy for not a lot of money.

I've only had one of the Veronas -- my others have been NEA Fairs and a Dewings Prestige -- but the Verona 501 16ga O/U w/28 barrels that I sold my bro made a dandy pheasant gun. He's knocked 'em down quite well since his first outing with that gun and loves it. We apparently also have the same or very similar LOP, because the Kick-eez and spacer that I had put on it sure doesn't seem to be hurting his shooting any.

Don't worry: I gave him an excellent deal (good price and threw in a flat of shells and a nice case) ... with the stipulation that if he ever wants to get rid of thag gun, I get to buy it back. :)