Shotgun Forum banner

Browning Citori XS Skeet

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  BigJimP 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on this gun? I am considering it as my first skeet gun. Any other suggestions in the same price range. Also, I'm having trouble finding one in a store nearby, and I don't want to order one without holding it first and knowing it fits the way I want. Along those lines, if any of you own one in western Kentucky and want to let me fondle it and see if it's the right gun for me, that would be fantastic. :)

#2 ·
It's hard to beat that gun for the price, and the gun is very versatile. It's not only for SKEET.

As for fit, with an adjustable comb and adding or removing length from the LOP, there is hardly any fitting problem that can't handled easily. I suppose that with an adjustable butt pad (or is it called a "recoil pad"), you could also tilt the angle of the pad and raise it and lower it.

In short, for a few hundred bucks, the gun could be made to fit anyone from a jockey to an NBA center. :lol:

#4 ·
I was considering the one without the adjustable comb, just to save some cash. Also, what is the reason for the straight stock like it has? Why is the drop at heel so much different than on field guns? I'm sure it's a simple answer, but feel free to enlighten me.

One other quick question. Most of they guys I shoot with use 28-inch barrels. I see a lot of 30-inch barrels on the market. I realize personal preference is probably a major factor, but are there any trends or hard reasons why to choose one over the other? Is it a matter of body size and shape? Or is it purely preference?

#5 ·
Straight stock (comb) or sloping stock is a matter of preference. Many trap shooters and some skeet shooters prefer the straight stock. Most sporting shooters prefer the sloping stock.

Barrel length is another matter of preference, but very few shooters today select a 28" barreled O/U. Barrels of 30" are probably the most popular and a lot of shooters are choosing 32" barrels.

#6 ·
Nemo7 said:
I was considering the one without the adjustable comb, just to save some cash. Also, what is the reason for the straight stock like it has? Why is the drop at heel so much different than on field guns? I'm sure it's a simple answer, but feel free to enlighten me.
My guess is that many field gunners shoot with an upright head whereas many target gunners shoot with their head/neck extended forward. Reasoning is hunters shoot rather quickly or reflexively. Target shooters are a bit more deliberate.

Second guess is hunters blot out the target, target shooter float the target.

Get the adjustable comb.

#7 ·
I, too, think the XS Skeet is a lot of gun for the money. The drop at the comb on an XS is too low for me but it's fine for many other people. When I got mine, I made sure it had the adjustable comb. Let me add, though, that the hardware on the newer Browning adjustable combs leaves something to be desired. If you get one from the factory set the post height with 3/16" diameter washers and that will solve the slippage.

As for barrel length, get the longest you can comfortably handle. Most people don't have much problem with 30" inch barrels. Everyone on my regular squad shoots a 30 incher. That includes fellows from a 6ft 250 lbs down to one that is about 5'8" and weighs 150 lbs.

Straight stock (comb) or sloping stock is a matter of preference. Many trap shooters and some skeet shooters prefer the straight stock. Most sporting shooters prefer the sloping stock.
It's a funny thing that. The straight stock is give you the same look over the barrel regardless of where you put your cheek along the top of the stock. Now, trap and skeet shooters usually premount their gun and can easily become consistent with their mount. Thus, they wouldn't really need a straight comb. Sporting shooters, and hunters too, don't premount their gun and really could benefit from the straight comb, yet most don't prefer it.

My guess is that many field gunners shoot with an upright head whereas many target gunners shoot with their head/neck extended forward. Reasoning is hunters shoot rather quickly or reflexively. Target shooters are a bit more deliberate.
Bob Brister in his book Shotgunning: The Art and the Science opined that hunters simply didn't cheek the stock as hard as target shooters and thus could get by with a greater drop at comb and heel.

#9 ·
Nemo7 said:

One other quick question. Most of they guys I shoot with use 28-inch barrels. I see a lot of 30-inch barrels on the market. I realize personal preference is probably a major factor, but are there any trends or hard reasons why to choose one over the other? Is it a matter of body size and shape? Or is it purely preference?
The reason you don`t see much of 28 in bbl`s is because the O/U lacks a receiver like a semi or a pump. 28in bbl`s on an O/U will feel kind of short. A lot of times, going to 32" barrels will have too much weight forward,which is usually caused by cheap choke installations. Heavy thick chokes will add noticeable nose heaviness.

#10 ·
Bought this as my second gun after a cheap O/U to get used to skeet shooting. I love it, and for skeet shooting the 28 in barrels do me fine. I own other guns for 5 stand, trap games, and hunting. If I had the chance to get one in 30", I would have. A graco adjustable butt pad put the gun right where it needed to be for target shooting. cost 50.00 and an hour on the grinder. Get one and you'll never look back. 200 thousand rounds and not a peep out of the old girl.

if it flies it dies....
18 days to duck season.......

#12 ·
The XS Skeet is a very good gun / but I would buy it with the adj comb - to maximize the adjustability. Its worth the extra money. I also prefer the 30" barrel.

I use the XS Skeet as my primary gun for Sporting Clays, Skeet and hunting birds - and I have XS Skeet models in 12, 20, 28ga and a .410 .

I don't think you'll find a better value in a solid / long term gun. Not a fancy gun .....but certainly a gun you can expect 100,000 shells or more thru it without an issue in my experience.

#13 ·
I have the XS Skeet with 30" bbl. and Adj. Comb in 12ga.
What a great gun!!! Not even considering selling it. I love the parallel comb.
Would let you shoot a whole round with it if I was in Ky. :wink:
I wasn`t going to get the adj. comb, but got a good deal on the gun LNIB.
The only problem I had with the adj. comb was that it kept coming loose.
I solved that problem by simply replacing the 4 screws that hold it on with slightly larger stainless screws.
I also shoot this gun much better than my old 1100. It feels much better.
I would say get 30" bbls.
Regards, Pete

#14 ·
Wow, thanks guys. I thought this thread was dead, but I logged on today and it had a few new posts. I appreciate all the advice. My only reservation about ordering one is that i haven't been able to lay my hands on one yet. I found a couple without adjustable comb at a store about two hours away, so assuming they haven't sold by Saturday, I'll be off to look. The trip may lead to me ordering a new one.

I'm nuts over skeet. I shot some trap in college, but skeet just seems to hold my attention better. I think it is the variety of shots and shooting with all gauges. I still love trap, but I'm pumped for skeet. The guys at the local club welcomed me in no questions asked. I just showed up one day and they started coaching. I don't know of another environment where that would happen, and forums like this just reassure me that the shooting sports attract and produce some of the finest people i could meet.

I have a few additional questions. First, if i were to order a gun online, what is a fair price to pay a local dealer for the FFL transfer? Second, what kind of products do you guys use to take care of wood stocks? Third, do you guys wipe off excess oil/anti-rust product from the exterior metal parts of the gun (and inside the barrel for that matter) before shooting? Finally, have you ever had a problem with any gun oils or other products discoloring or hurting hte finish of a wood stock? I currently use Rem Oil in the aerosol can or Outers Gunslick Gun Oil to prevent rust. Haven't had any problems yet, but also haven't spent the kind of money i am preparing to spend on a gun before.

Thanks

#15 ·
Nemo7 said:
I have a few additional questions. First, if i were to order a gun online, what is a fair price to pay a local dealer for the FFL transfer? I usually pay $30 Second, what kind of products do you guys use to take care of wood stocks? I don't use anything. Just wipe it off occasionally. Third, do you guys wipe off excess oil/anti-rust product from the exterior metal parts of the gun (and inside the barrel for that matter) before shooting? You've got to do more than just "wipe it off". Use some good solvent and clean ALL the metal parts, including inside the action/triggerworks. Then oil it lightly with Breakfree CLP or Rem Oil. Finally, have you ever had a problem with any gun oils or other products discoloring or hurting hte finish of a wood stock? No. I currently use Rem Oil in the aerosol can or Outers Gunslick Gun Oil to prevent rust. Haven't had any problems yet, but also haven't spent the kind of money i am preparing to spend on a gun before.

Thanks

#16 ·
Are you saying you use solvent to clean the gun when you get to the range before you shoot? I obviously clean my current gun after every use, it's part of my routine. I then oil it before i put it away. But when i get to the range, i just get it out and shoot. Am i making a mistake? I understand that the oil can collect a lot of grime, but i assumed i could wipe it off and be fine, rather than having to go through the entire cleaning process again.

Maybe i misunderstood your post.

#17 ·
Nemo,

I thought you were talking about a BRAND NEW GUN. Did I miss something somewhere?

#18 ·
Yeah, my mistake. I just mean each time when you go to the range, do you wipe off the layer of oil from the gun before shooting, whether it's a new gun or old? Probalby a pretty simple thing, but i was just curious. Thanks for your help.

#19 ·
Many (perhaps MOST) new guns come with a thick rust preventive type grease on them and inside the trigger works. This should be cleaned out before using, although some people don't do it. Some of them also experience operating problems because of failure to clean out the rust preventative.

As for cleaning the gun when you get to the range, I'd say that is unnecessary unless you put so much oil on the outside that it is hard to hold onto.

#20 ·
I wipe a gun down with a cloth - when I take it out of my safe / put it in a hard case for travel to the range ( but its not necessary ). I clean my guns / then put them in the safe - and wipe them down good before I put them in the safe - you don't generally want a lot of oil on the gun while its stored unless you have a condensation / rust problem in your safe. Using a light bulb, golden rod, etc will help that too.

On all of my O/U's I use Rig Grease on the barrel to receiver connection / Rig spray oil inside the stock on the firing pin springs, etc ( real lightly ), and I use Break Free on my choke tubes.

I use Shooter's Choice - shotgun and choke tube cleaner on my barrels, etc - and it won't harm a wood stock.

http://www.shooters-choice.com/shotgun_ ... eaner.html

After I clean the gun, if I've shot in wet weather - I always remove the stock / make sure the gun is dry before it goes into the safe. On wet days - when I get home - I do spray the outside of the gun with WD-40 and then wipe it down ( but that'll probably cause an uproar...).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.